Just ride for the fun of it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The schedule of the Heartland Flyer allows me to ride down to FTW or even Dallas for lunch and come back all in about 12 hours. Though to avoid hassles with claiming AGR points from on board ticketing, I have to give about a week's lead time so Amtrak can get tickets mailed to me. The only station on that route that is manned is FTW.
You do know that the conductor will have printed tickets for all those getting on in OKC. Therefore you can have you AGR number printed on it already. You just have to make your reservation the day prior in order to get your ticket. They print the tickets the day prior and hand them to the conductor before they leave FTW that evening.
It's cool that the conductor will print tickets for people since the last time I got a manual ticket, I never bothered with the AGR points. At the time I didn't feel it was worth the hassle. Does the conductor just print the tickets for those that have already boardfed and may only have a reservation # or does he also print tickets for people that have yet to board?

I'm concerned becasue I've also ridden the train for fun and may make a reservation while the buckets are low and ride on a wim. My home station is staffed so if I decide to cancel my trip, I'll call Amtrak and get a refund to my CC or exchange the printed tickets for another tiip when I decide to go again. However, would the conductor ever end up printing tickets for people that may be on the manifest but No Show?

I take the Crescent from TCL to ATN every two weeks, work schedule permitting, to visit my parents and family. I could drive it in 2hrs or take the train in a little over 3, I take the train to save myself from driving through Birmingham on I-20. Its so much better to relax on the train than to fight the traffic, not to mention TCL-ATN is one of the most scenic sections of the route, especially between Leeds and Pell City over Chula Vista Mountain.
When I lived in Tuscaloosa I didn't have a car and always thought about taking the train to BHM when going to the airport. Wish I had. Instead I had several rather unpleasant Greyhound experiences. I miss the city especially during football season as I lived four blocks from the stadium.

Now, if I ride for fun it's usually between Sacramento and San Jose or Sacramento to Bakersfield (two of California's most exciting and entertaining locales /sarcasm.) If I want to take a two day trip I'll go to Reno and overnight there.

When I was studying for the bar exam I rode the Sac to San Jose route at least twice a week because I found I studied well on the train and people for the most part left me alone. I still will ride just to get work done because of fewer distractions on the train then in my office.

The schedule of the Heartland Flyer allows me to ride down to FTW or even Dallas for lunch and come back all in about 12 hours. Though to avoid hassles with claiming AGR points from on board ticketing, I have to give about a week's lead time so Amtrak can get tickets mailed to me. The only station on that route that is manned is FTW.
You do know that the conductor will have printed tickets for all those getting on in OKC. Therefore you can have you AGR number printed on it already. You just have to make your reservation the day prior in order to get your ticket. They print the tickets the day prior and hand them to the conductor before they leave FTW that evening.
It's cool that the conductor will print tickets for people since the last time I got a manual ticket, I never bothered with the AGR points. At the time I didn't feel it was worth the hassle. Does the conductor just print the tickets for those that have already boardfed and may only have a reservation # or does he also print tickets for people that have yet to board?

I'm concerned becasue I've also ridden the train for fun and may make a reservation while the buckets are low and ride on a wim. My home station is staffed so if I decide to cancel my trip, I'll call Amtrak and get a refund to my CC or exchange the printed tickets for another tiip when I decide to go again. However, would the conductor ever end up printing tickets for people that may be on the manifest but No Show?
It's not the conductor that prints the tickets. It's the station agent in Fort Worth that prints them out each afternoon before the Heartland Flyer leaves. I believe this has been standard procedure for awhile, but not really sure. It was done when I rode it back in 2008 as well as this year.

Once I was getting on the train in Austin on a Sunday when the Austin station was closed. The morning of departure I needed to cancel the trip and called Amtrak about canceling my ticket. She told me that the ticket had already been printed in San Antonio the night before, and the conductor already had my printed ticket. I don't remember what came of it, but it was actually kind of a hassle to get it cancelled. I suppose the conductor just kept my ticket and turned it in at FTW and they cancelled it there. She almost wanted to charge the 10% refund fee, but I said how can they do that if I don't even have the ticket in my hand. I don't recall what ultimately happened, but they either got the 10% refund fee waived or I used the credit toward another trip.

Does anybody here ride on Amtrak just for the fun of it? I'll be taking the EB shortly not because I have business at my destination or to see someone, but because I work for an airline every year I get a pair of confirmed round trip tickets that expire after a year. Normally my travel benefits are on a standby basis only, so I'm at a 'use it or lose it' for these confirmed tickets.
Also, is there any benefit in which direction of travel I should take? I live in SEA and could either start my journey here in SEA or fly out to CHI and start my journey there. I don't want to miss any particularly beautiful scenery while the train travels at night. So I'm hoping the good people of this board will help me in my decision.

Thank you all
I can travel from Los Angeles To New York (return) by air for around $200 with all the full service airline facilities that Qantas provides in 'cattle class'. I have travelled from PDX, SFJ and LAX with Amtrak on several occassions 'for the 'fun of it' but, at this point in time I won't be doing it at any time soon.

You can't beat Amtrak for the scenic highlights but service just has to improve before I'll ever subject myself to the cruddy food and non-existent service levels in the immediate furture. And I take bedroom accommodations as a single occupant.

I know that Australians are renowned as being poor tippers in the States, but the assumption that there are no tips gets us the service that most of the posters on this forum would be screaming about.

Incidentally, the two SCAs I had on the SWC got around $50 each for my two trips on the SWC - they were awesome. On the CZ I paid nothing to the SCAs that left me to convert my bedroom each night (4 times) - I'm very adept at setting up a bedroom, I wonder how I learned that - and the EB attendant got $20 just for doing her normal duties.

I certainly have travelled Amtrak 'for fun' but being treated like crap has ended that. I'll be travelling next March PQQ-SYD-LAX-JFK return for $381 (loyalty points) at 30,000 feet plus. Amtrak has lost me due to the food that I wouldn't touch at home, service that is so spotty that each journey is approached with apprehension and a total lack of any responsibility to the concept of 'connecting service'. Any train leaving WAS to NYP is not a 'connecting service' if it delivers you 4 hours late on any train that you happen to chase down the (low level) platform!

And while I'm in the air I can collect around 10,000 loyalty points on a return Lax -JFK flight. We foreigners can't get AGRs (a little matter of a Social Security number). Amtrak staff need a good kick up the arse!

Gripe over for this post.

You don't need a SS number to sign up for AGR, just a US or Canadian zip code. And Amtrak isn't unique in this regard. While most airline programs transcend borders, most rail programs do not.

You don't need a SS number to sign up for AGR, just a US or Canadian zip code. And Amtrak isn't unique in this regard. While most airline programs transcend borders, most rail programs do not.
Still no AGR card though.

Pay through the nose and no rewards.

yes i've rode for fun. I've gone to chicago and back the same day. I've also gone to L.A and back departing the same day i arrived.
That's just plain wrong................
you ride how you want i will ride how i want. the texas eagle trip was done when i was still working there for only allowed 1 week off a month but not more then 2 a year.
I think that's a great idea! In fact, after I read Kevin's post I took a look at how I could do it. Now my new dream trip is to go to Sacramento, up to Seattle, and back to Chicago. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I'm sorry Konrad has had bad experiences with Amtrak. I have traveled to Australia (Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne) several times and have always found the people to be

friendly and helpful. I never tried train travel there but would expect the same as the airlines and taxis.

I have had a few not-so-nice trips on Amtrak, however the overwhelming majority of my trips have been most enjoyable.

I eat the food on the train because I'm usually hungry. I always bring some peanuts and M&M's just in case!!

Konrad has fit the nail on the head, and I guess I have fallen into this category a time or two in the past, "just getting burned out" on crappy service. It was actually this forum that got me excited about train travel again.

But I'll admit, I too can only put up with so much spotty service. We rail fans, UNFORTUNATELY, get very used to crappy service, and tend to "look the other way" or just accept it. It should not be that way. Is service getting better overall? I think so.

And fortunately, after the passage of time, we tend to forget the ugly, and only remember the good times......

But as for now, I'm "back on board".

I can travel from Los Angeles To New York (return) by air for around $200 with all the full service airline facilities that Qantas provides in 'cattle class'. I have travelled from PDX, SFJ and LAX with Amtrak on several occassions 'for the 'fun of it' but, at this point in time I won't be doing it at any time soon.
r u saying u can do LA-NY for $200 RT?

If so, please clue me in as to how.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden Amtrak several times just for the fun of it. Yeah, I've had some trips that were not up to standard, but it's part of the adventure. I always get the names of any employees who cause a poor trip or that happen to enhance a trip and write a letter to Amtrak Customer Dervice Dept., they can't fix what they don't know. I enjoy planning a trip for the fun of it more than a trip with a purpose. I can spend hours with the timetable trying to figure out the best connections for places I've never thought about visiting. AGR points are a bonus for the fun I've had on board. Have also met some great people who also enjoy Amtrak travel. Already planning several adventures for 2010, some short some long, waiting for my Select Status pkg. to arrive before I book.

Already planning several adventures for 2010, some short some long, waiting for my Select Status pkg. to arrive before I book.
Unless you're waiting for the Companion rides free coupon, there is no reason to wait to book your trips. Your AGR number won't change and you automatically start earning the 50% bonus as soon as your status updates on the AGR website.

Waiting for the actual kit before booking could result in higher prices.

Already planning several adventures for 2010, some short some long, waiting for my Select Status pkg. to arrive before I book.
Unless you're waiting for the Companion rides free coupon, there is no reason to wait to book your trips. Your AGR number won't change and you automatically start earning the 50% bonus as soon as your status updates on the AGR website.

Waiting for the actual kit before booking could result in higher prices.
Thanks Alan, I should have known that! Guess I'll be busy tonight booking for 2010.

I think what Konrad is suggesting is a difference in airfares. These are not the amounts, but SYD-LAX may be $700 & SYD-LAX-JFK may be $900. So essentially LAX-JFK would be $200! :rolleyes:

I think what Konrad is suggesting is a difference in airfares. These are not the amounts, but SYD-LAX may be $700 & SYD-LAX-JFK may be $900. So essentially LAX-JFK would be $200! :rolleyes:
But thats the airlines booking a second leg at significantly lower price. If you tried to book the same plane for just LAX-JFK you won't get the same seat for the same price (you might not be able to book it all without the connecting leg from SYD).

But thats the airlines booking a second leg at significantly lower price. If you tried to book the same plane for just LAX-JFK you won't get the same seat for the same price (you might not be able to book it all without the connecting leg from SYD).
You're right! But also you could not find the same seat at ANY price! Due to federal regulations, you can not book Quantas (or any foreign airline) between any 2 US points without a continuing foreign flight! :ph34r: (You can not book Quantas between LAX and JFK!)

It's the additional fare charged on top of the PQQ-SYD-LAX fare. To do the trip for $200 return you have to first pay the $2000 plus airfare from Australia - and be very flexible with your travel dates.

To take a bedroom from Lax to NYP will cost me nearly $US1300 in March (if I avoid the Cardinal which would astronomically inflate the fare). I've done it several times in both directions and, I did it for fun (as the above figures will attest), but I'm just so over it now. Three days of Amtrak food verges on life threatening - if not just death from boredom!

Aloha

The Airline booking practices is exactly why on the Gathering I Flew HNL-CHI-OPEN-Boston-Denver-LAX-HNL This was Cheaper than Round triping Boston or Chicago. I would have paid the extra to round trip Chicago but the train Connections would require a night in a Chicago Hotel. Round tripping Boston would have been 197 dollars more than the cost of the LSL. Not to mention enjoying the Pre Gathering

Everytime I have to travel for business, I check the trains first! I am happy to leave early and come home late just to ride the train. We also take the train for fun because DH and I love it. I live in Pittsburgh, which has some pretty challenging schedules to places like Chicago and DC--actually I haven't found a convenient time in or out of Pittsburgh by train--but I don't care! I'll board at midnight and arrive back at 5 a.m. just to be on the train. :)

Everytime I ride Amtrak, it's for the fun of it. There have been three times that I rode with no other purpose in mind. In Dallas, I took Amtrak to Ft Worth and rode the TRE back. In New Mexico, I rode round trip from Albuquerque to LA - returning on the same train I came in on. I also took a quickie from ABQ to Lamy and back. That was the scariest, connection wise. There are only a couple of passing sidings between ABQ and Lamy, and this was before the Railrunner. I deduced that if my arrival was within 20 minutes of schedule, the Southbound would have to wait in Lamy for the NB to pass it. Of course, nothing to keep it there just for me to get around my train and onto it. But, as luck would have it, the SB was running an hour late, so I had that hour spent roaming the little town of Lamy. Quite nice and enjoyable. Let me get a pic like this one.

I ve been taking cross country trips on Amtrak since 1990..always for the joy of train travel and ending up in Los Angeles,San Francisco,Portland or Seattle from the east coast. I ve taken every Amtrak LD route(some numerous times) and until recently did it alone. Now,that I ve settled down with my significant other,I have introduced her to train travel and she loves it too,even though I will still do short weekend trips just for the fun of it,alone,and especially this time of year with the double AGR points.

Nothing like train travel as a hobby. I have used my week long vacations just riding. Crazy? Perhaps

,but I love it. As I got older I booked sleepers when I could afford them. It does enhance the trip greatly.

I sure do! Luckily my recently retired Father shares my hobby so we've been taking some day trips. This year we did the Sunset Limited from MRC-LAX-MRC with lunch in LA, the Carolinian from DNC-RMT-DNC for lunch in Rocky Mount and the Coast Starlight from LAX-PDX for dinner in Portland. We're planning on the Piedmont this year too.

Also, if I can work a train into a trip I'm already taking...so much the better!

I travel on Amtrak for the fun of it also, however, I try to do something practical during the trip. I often visit my sister in the DC area by train - staying one night at my sister's house and spending 2 nights on the train. She used to get insulted, but she is used to my travel habits now.

I am thinking about going from Orlando to Tampa and back one day this weekend - just for fun (and double points). I live in Orlando and have never taken the train to Tampa and I think I should - just for fun. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back