Just Wondering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age group do you fall into ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 51. Looking back, I used to take Amtrak when I was in college (because I had the time) but through most of the intervening time I never had enough vacation time for more than a day trip! Now I have ample vacation. But no money .

Let's put it this way .... in another 4 months I won't have to pay any penalty to withdraw money from my IRAs and 401Ks. :)

In all these years I reckon I have traveled maybe about 250 thousand miles by train and flown close to 2 million miles. And most of it has been fun.

Have not been involved in any accident more severe than the train I was in being used as a suicide device by someone, and being used as a car crumpling device by another, both in the US. What might seem quite surprising to some, I have never been involved in any train accidents in India, where most of my other train riding has been. I have ridden everything from the slow and spectacular Darjeeling Himalayan Railway and the Glacier Express all the way to TGV Est at 200mph, and as I said enjoyed all enormously. I have ridden across the spectacular American Prairies, Deserts and Mountains, and across the Russian Steppes, through Malaysian jungles and the Gangetic plains. Lots of moments to cherish and journeys to remember....

The most alarming situation on a flight that I have had was being hit on the wing by a lightning bolt. It was very bright and loud, but that was it. It was a brand spanking new Boeing 707 back in '66.

On the whole I consider myself immensely lucky to have been able to do all this. I do realize that not everyone is as fortunate as I and am grateful to find myself in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's put it this way .... in another 4 months I won;t have to pay any penalty to withdraw money from my IRAs and 401Ks. :)
:lol: Thanks Jis, you gave me a laugh. I have been computing my age the same way. I have slightly less than 10 months before I will not have to pay a penalty for IRA withdrawal.

56, and that's just about as young as you can be and still have vague memories of standard guage steam in regular, workaday service on Class 1 railroads.

Gord

Let's put it this way .... in another 4 months I won't have to pay any penalty to withdraw money from my IRAs and 401Ks. In all these years I reckon I have traveled maybe about 250 thousand miles by train and flown close to 2 million miles. And most of it has been fun. Have not been involved in any accident more severe than the train I was in being used as a suicide device by someone, and being used as a car crumpling device by another, both in the US. What might seem quite surprising to some, I have never been involved in any train accidents in India, where most of my other train riding has been. I have ridden everything from the slow and spectacular Darjeeling Himalayan Railway and the Glacier Express all the way to TGV Est at 200mph, and as I said enjoyed all enormously. I have ridden across the spectacular American Prairies, Deserts and Mountains, and across the Russian Steppes, through Malaysian jungles and the Gangetic plains. Lots of moments to cherish and journeys to remember. The most alarming situation on a flight that I have had was being hit on the wing by a lightning bolt. It was very bright and loud, but that was it. It was a brand spanking new Boeing 707 back in '66. On the whole I consider myself immensely lucky to have been able to do all this. I do realize that not everyone is as fortunate as I and am grateful to find myself in this situation.
Sounds like you need to be writing some incredible travel related memoirs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back