Just Wondering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age group do you fall into ???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 18.

I'm a bit surprised how so many of the people here are so old. Must be the reason why I hear so much nostalgia from the older railfans.

Sure....by the calendar I'll be 64 on August 1st but still feel like 18 with a 7' surf board under my arm. :cool:
And Jay is still waiting for the "big wave" on the Mississippi, so he can ride his board down to NOL!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah Dave, my wife told me to get out of the phone booth the other day with that silly looking cape on !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm 18.

I'm a bit surprised how so many of the people here are so old. Must be the reason why I hear so much nostalgia from the older railfans.
SO OLD? Sure rub it in. :angry: And here I thought you seemed like a nice person! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But don't worry, you'll be older than dirt in what feels like no time. :cool: IF your lucky. :blush:

Mentally holding at 39 like Jack Benny, but in reality 57. At least being around that age, I was able to experience as a child some of passenger railroading's offerings from a bygone era, even though it had already began to decline in services in the 50's and 60's. Grand stations and depots still in use, the chance to discover some sights of America from a dome car, and unforgettable memories of service in a dining car are just some of the memories. Amtrak would begin in 1971, the year I graduated from high school.

I'm 18.

SO OLD? Sure rub it in. :angry: And here I thought you seemed like a nice person! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But don't worry, you'll be older than dirt in what feels like no time. :cool: IF your lucky. :blush:

Yeah, what's this so old stuff? :angry2: :p :D Believe me, it was just yesterday (or so it seems) I was 18 and graduating from high school. You'll be our age in no time! :wacko: If you want to talk old, I have an uncle who'll be 90 this year. Now THAT's old.

I am 39 and careening towards the big 4-0 next year. Should I have a midlife crisis sometime during the next decade, I will certainly turn to the Amtrak System to ride it out.

"Let's highball this crisis on signal indication!"

Sure....by the calendar I'll be 64 on August 1st but still feel like 18 with a 7' surf board under my arm. :cool:
And Jay is still waiting for the "big wave" on the Mississippi, so he can ride his board down to NOL!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
If he's still waiting for the big wave, then he missed it. :eek: It just rolled down the Mississippi last month. :lol:

I'm 18.

Im 67 but 15 minutes ago I was 18 also! :p It goes by so fast Kid, Now is all there is!! :excl: :excl: It was Fun getting to See and Ride the Trains before Amtrak but in Lots of Ways it's even Better Now, People have More Money and Time to Ride Trains as opposed to Flying ( a 4 Letter Word here! :help: or the Long Dog!! :help: ) Old is as Old Does to Paraphrase Forrest Gump! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 18.

I'm not. Have you been on a train lately? I was by far one of the youngest people on the SWC in the sleeper on my trip this year. And I don't mean that in a mean way, it is what it is. And I wouldn't say "so old" - I don't think you are ever "old" if you don't want to be. Besides, age is just a number, all railfans should unite in their love of trains no matter their age :)

I'm 18.

I'm not. Have you been on a train lately? I was by far one of the youngest people on the SWC in the sleeper on my trip this year. And I don't mean that in a mean way, it is what it is.
The rest were 32 or 33, so you were "young", right?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

62 - but I got carded the other day at a bar in ABQ when I went in for a beer before the SWC arrived.
It sure is a weird world we live in today. I barely ever got carded back when I was actually questionable and yet here in my 30's I'm getting carded left and right. :wacko:

I am 47 and will be riding the train for the first time June 14. I hope to still be here posting with you all and be able to offer the wonderful advice to newbies in 20 years.
I wonder what AU will look like then. Twenty years ago there was no AU. There wasn't even a world wide web. Folks like us had to understand far more obscure protocols like NNTP in order to access forums on Usenet and the like. It was a far more archaic system in some ways and yet far more advanced in others.

I'm 18. I'm a bit surprised how so many of the people here are so old.
I'm so glad that nobody who lives a full life is allowed to avoid growing old! You'll be right here where we are soon enough. Besides, don't you know that you can't call anyone old if the two generations that preceded them are still among us? :lol:

Should I have a midlife crisis sometime during the next decade, I will certainly turn to the Amtrak System to ride it out.
It's never too early to start your midlife crisis. Better to book now before the rest of us beat you to it. ;)

24 by law ..... but I FEEL 40 . Peter
Um, is everything OK Peter? :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh, I dunno. Maybe I'm wondering where the all the college students are. You know, the OTHER crowd who seems to really like riding trains.

I just feel so different being the young person here, while most of the posters are my parents' age!
laugh.gif

I guess adult life is like a LD Amtrak train; it seems long, but it's over before you know it!
wink.gif

I'm in that popular age cluster group as well - Nothing Beats an Eisenhower Baby :lol:
Depending on the way you say it, it sounds like you're talking about a car or a tractor. "Nothing beats a deere!"
tongue.gif

WHAT SMELLS LIKE FRENCH FRIES?
biggrin.gif

Say what you wish, but if it wasn't for your "old" parent's, you wouldn't be here!!

I'm one of the old ones, but I was pleasantly surprized to find the profound knowledge

that the oldies have brought to this blog and to passenger rail travel.

I hope that through the years that you travel the rails, in your twilight years,

you will be able to share your knowledge with the new young ones.

It is good to have you and the other young people as part of our group.

You bring fresh, young ideas and comments to the blog.

Welcome, and do continue to let us old folks know your feelings.

Oh, I dunno. Maybe I'm wondering where the all the college students are. You know, the OTHER crowd who seems to really like riding trains.
Good question. I am as surprised as you are that the age demographics here skew the way they do.

I just feel so different being the young person here, while most of the posters are my parents' age!
laugh.gif

I guess adult life is like a LD Amtrak train; it seems long, but it's over before you know it!
wink.gif

Maybe you are different, and quite possibly that is a good thing, as you seem wise beyond your years! :cool: :cool: :cool:

WHAT SMELLS LIKE FRENCH FRIES?
biggrin.gif
That's just us old folks stewing over how quickly time has passed. :lol: :lol: :blink: :unsure: :huh:

I am thankful for all of my 66 years. I would not give any of them back.

It is neat to have had a foot in railroads both before Amtrak and after.

And any one who really reads my posts carefully should know I do not praise each and every thing as being so wonderful from the distant past....no, I have a litany I trot out from time to time of both good and bad comparisons.

But what was undeniably better about the past is how many MORE trains we had, for better or for worse.(not that they were all the Super Chief or the 20th Century limited).

One of life's richest blessings to me is the discovery of forums just like this. It was lonesome growing up with no good way to talk trains with friends who actually understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back