kansas city MIssouri trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patricia

Has anyone taken the train to Kansas City? What do you do about transportation? what things can you do until 4 when it takes you back?

A few years ago, a group of us from AU rode the MORR from STL to KCY for a day trip. Most of us just hung around Union Station and explored it (there's lots to see and do) while volunteered to pick up some BBQ for the group to eat on the return trip. We found out that a large order of BBQ does not travel well!
ohmy.gif

When are you scheduled to arrive? How much time will you have in KC?

EDIT: I suppose since you refer to leaving at 4, you are arriving in KC on 314 at 1:55pm and leaving on 313 at 4:00pm. If that's the case, then you are really limited to things pretty close to (or in) Kansas City Union Station. There is a science museum in KC Union Station (and a few other activities), and withing walking distance there is also Crown Center (shopping center) and Liberty Memorial (WWI memorial/museum).

Last edited by a moderator:
As previously mentioned, there is the Crown Center; it is directly across the street diagonally from Union Station. Along with shopping, there is also a Lego Land, Hallmark Visitor Center, and a Sea Life Aquarium. If you go to the Crown Center, check out Fritz's Railrod Restaurant on level one; they deliver your order to you via electric trains! Fun for 'kids' of all ages....IF you desire to rent a car for some reason, there is a Hertz inside the Westin Hotel at the Crown Center, and there are also two Enterprise car rental locations nearby; they will come and get you, and deliver you back to Union Station.

If you are departing on the 4:00 PM MORR back east, they usually call to board about 3:40-3:45; unless you need to pick up tickets, etc, there's really very little reason to be back to Union Station before 3:30, if you actually leave at all. There are always displays and events going on there as well, and you may be able to entertain yourself there the entire time, without even having to step foot outside.

If you don't want to venture far from the station, right inside Union Station there is a Science Museum where you can spend some time. Right across the street from the station, on a small hill is the War Memorial. It is a nice little walk up to the top of it and it gives a nice view of the city skyline. This is the view from the memorial from my visit last year-

387814_10150565143451019_429075818_n.jpg

You will be there in daytime but this should give a good idea. The big building with three arches in the foreground is the Union Station.

There is also a very interesting Steamboat Arabia museum. We really enjoyed it. Need to take the bus from the station or a taxi to the museum near the water. Well worth the time.

You can walk from Union Station to Crown Center and never step "outside" as there is a covered elevated walkway.

Since you have just a few hours, I would hang around the station. You can visit Science City, a hands on exhibit and you don't need to be a kid to enjoy it. Near the entrance to Science City at the end of the main hall is a model railroad exhibit that if you are into model railroading is a must see. There are a number of restaurants both in Union Station and Crown Center. Fritz's (Crown Center) has hamburgers and hotdogs and that kind of food. Very good and as mentioned by someone else all your food is delivered by an overhead train system. There must be at least a dozen restaurants in Crown Center.

If you would like to try some REALLY good Kansas City BBQ, there is Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ. Near Science City and the model train exhibit there is a pedestrian walkway that takes you over the tracks to a set of remodeled buildings that has I believe 3 or 4 restaurants, but Jack Stacks is one of KCs best BBQ places. If it's not too hot they have some outdoor seating that looks across the parking lot to Union Station. This area has a lot of UP and BNSF freight traffic that goes by, I would venture a guess that if you spend an hour at the restaurant you would see 6-9 trains going by. (Maybe some other KC posters can give a more exact number.) Jack Stacks will ship food anywhere in the US, I send some to my son in Portland Oregon at least once a year.

Before any of my KC friends say anything, there are a number of outstanding BBQ places in KC, Everyone has their own preference, and many are as good as Jack Stacks, but this one is real handy when you are at Union Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back