Keeping Roomette door open

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they give an AU discount if we buy Gaff by the case? Or should that be sleeping car load?!
Or maybe someone can set up stands at the stations selling gaff tape rolled up on a pen or straw since most travelers probably don't need a big roll of it.

Is it considered rude to keep your door closed? Will the attendant ignore you ( as far as telling you about meals, wine tasting, etc) if you do? Thanks.

Is it considered rude to keep your door closed? Will the attendant ignore you ( as far as telling you about meals, wine tasting, etc) if you do? Thanks.
My experience is that they will always knock.

On the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle last December, the sliding door between our room D and the next room E would not quite stay completely closed. Our SCA came up with a roll of duct tape and he and I completely taped both sides of the door.

My Roomette door is usually closed or cracked open, depending on how far I am into the trip.

As roomette said, they will knock if your door is closed during waking hours.

As far as rude, some say it is since they want to see out both sides of the train, but it's your room, so do what you want. Personally, I like to shut out the ambient noise, so we tend to keep ours closed until they announce the LSA will be coming around for meal reservations. If we want some fresh-ish air, we open the door and close the curtain. I never close the door and leave the curtain open because that makes me feel like an animal at the zoo.

As roomette said, they will knock if your door is closed during waking hours.

As far as rude, some say it is since they want to see out both sides of the train, but it's your room, so do what you want. Personally, I like to shut out the ambient noise, so we tend to keep ours closed until they announce the LSA will be coming around for meal reservations. If we want some fresh-ish air, we open the door and close the curtain. I never close the door and leave the curtain open because that makes me feel like an animal at the zoo.
Ha! Thanks for the suggestions on the door/curtains. I guess if I want to see out of the other side of the train, I can always go to the observation car. I really don't want to be looking into other people's rooms or having other people looking into mine. I guess I can live with being thought a rude person in this case.

Yeah, even when our neighbors have their door open, I feel weird staring into their roomette, even though I'm just looking at the window. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back