Kingman, AZ Station/Area Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar1

Train Attendant
This summer I'm taking a trip from the east coast to Nevada (desert area north of Las Vegas). I had originally planned to take the SWC to Flagstaff, AZ and rent a car to drive north of Las Vegas, NV into the Nevada desert (almost a 6 hour drive).

Our plans have slightly changed, after the Nevada desert, we're driving down to Barstow, CA, then back to Flagstaff to get the return train home.

I originally picked Flagstaff because they have a staffed station and checked baggage.

I'm rethinking our plans because of the amount of driving we also plan to do. I'm considering now staying on the train to the Kingman, AZ station and also returning home from this station.

Does anyone know anything about the Kingman station? Is there a building or is it just an open platform? Is the area

safe to wait (return train leaves here around 1:30 AM)? Are there taxi's in the area? Rental cars??

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our plans have slightly changed, after the Nevada desert, we're driving down to Barstow, CA, then back to Flagstaff to get the return train home.

I originally picked Flagstaff because they have a staffed station and checked baggage.
You are aware that Barstow is also a stop on the SWC? Granted, it is neither staffed nor does it have checked luggage, but if you're willing to go to Kingman you might consider Barstow as well.

You are aware that Barstow is also a stop on the SWC? Granted, it is neither staffed nor does it have checked luggage, but if you're willing to go to Kingman you might consider Barstow as well.
It is basically just an open platform, although there is a small waiting room across the street. There would be no rental car open when the train comes through. The same thing applies to Barstow, as well, although the Barstow station is even more remote from the rest of Barstow (other side of the rail yards, wedged in between the old section of the yard and the Mojave River.

Neither is staffed or has checked baggage.

Have you considered the Thruway bus between Las Vegas' McCarren Airport and Kingman station meeting the Southwest Chief. Then you base completely out of Las Vegas. Pick the car up at McCarren and go from there. Return it back to McCarren and hop the Thruway bus (more of a van).

PS, depending on where you are going north of Vegas, if you are headed to or around Ely, definitely check out the Nevada Northern.

I have taken the Amtrak bus to and from the Kingman station to LasVegas. Actually it is a van. It is more economical than renting a car and takes you directly to McCarren airport in Las Vegas. There are cabs waiting outside the airport to go to your hotel.

As for the Kingman Station, the waiting room leaves a lot to be desired, but you are with other passengers and I felt completely safe there. It's not a waiting room in the traditional sense. It's better described as an old store front.

This summer I'm taking a trip from the east coast to Nevada (desert area north of Las Vegas). I had originally planned to take the SWC to Flagstaff, AZ and rent a car to drive north of Las Vegas, NV into the Nevada desert (almost a 6 hour drive).

I have no idea what a one-way car rental will add to your costs. But is there anyway to change your travel plans by continuing norhtwest from your desert location to Reno, NV. (or a stop along it's route) and take the CZ for your return trip???

I would tale the SWC to Kingman, and then take the shuttle (van) to LV. It goes right to McCarran Airport, and there are many car rental agencies to chose from there!
cool.gif
And if you want to go to Reno, as much as I hate to recommend it, I would return the car to McCarran and fly to Reno. Southwest Airlines usually has some good fares between the two!

I'll have to think about this one. If I decide to take the bus (van) from Kingman to Las Vegas,

is this an Amtrak specific bus? (meaning, if the train is late, does the bus wait?)

The only problem is that it gets into Las Vegas at 3 AM, kind of an awkward time. By the time I would

get a rental car and get to a hotel, it would be almost morning, and it would be too early to check

in to my hotel in Alamo, NV if I drove directly up there.

Does the bus work the same way from Las Vegas back to Kingman? Would the train wait if the bus is late?

Thanks!

I'll have to think about this one. If I decide to take the bus (van) from Kingman to Las Vegas,

is this an Amtrak specific bus? (meaning, if the train is late, does the bus wait?)

Does the bus work the same way from Las Vegas back to Kingman? Would the train wait if the bus is late?
It is not a bus, but 15 passenger vans (with a trailer for luggage). And yes, since they're dedicated service to the SWC, one would wait for the other!

The only problem is that it gets into Las Vegas at 3 AM, kind of an awkward time.Thanks!

LOL! Not for VEGAS!! There is always the breakfast buffets!

(PS...Check with your hotel in Alamo, NV, unlike the hotels in Vegas, most will do early arrival if you just let them know ahead of time.)

The station in Kingman is a dump, nothing available but a single toilet unisex restroom. The place has a single light bulb on a ceiling fan to light the entire place. Women were screaming from time to time as they thought the dead scorpions on the floor were moving. I am not kidding...

The shuttle van on the other hand is not that bad. Very friendly service. Here is the website for the operation and a picture of the van.

http://www.commuterservices.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back