Lake Shore Limited SOLD OUT this month?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked a few dates for the Lake Shore Limited from NYP to CHI and noticed that on many dates the train was completely sold out. Other routes like the AutoTrain also show sell out dates this month.

If ever there was an argument in favor of funding new equipment, these would have to be excellent illustrations. Perhaps the disgusting intrusive treatment of air passengers at the airports is forcing people to the rails as I do not believe that Amtrak has ever been this crowded.

What say you?

I just checked a few dates for the Lake Shore Limited from NYP to CHI and noticed that on many dates the train was completely sold out. Other routes like the AutoTrain also show sell out dates this month.

If ever there was an argument in favor of funding new equipment, these would have to be excellent illustrations. Perhaps the disgusting intrusive treatment of air passengers at the airports is forcing people to the rails as I do not believe that Amtrak has ever been this crowded.

What say you?
Totally agree, even the step children of the LD system, the Eagles/Sunsets and CONOs are running full most days and Sleepers generally SOLD OUT/HIGH BUCKET!!! Of course this is good overall for Amtrak, bad for those of us that actually Pay to ride! (is the_traveler shivering yet? :giggle: )

I was doing some checks to see if an after-xmas trip was possible and ran into multiple trains marked as completely sold out. I don't see any negatives about this. This is 100% good news to me and if I have to switch my dates around a bit I'll gladly do it so other folks can get a chance to ride. I doubt this will change any of the anti-rail rhetoric by the ever more partisan Republicans, but it's still nice to see average folks showing some interest in giving the train a try.

I was doing some checks to see if an after-xmas trip was possible and ran into multiple trains marked as completely sold out. I don't see any negatives about this. This is 100% good news to me and if I have to switch my dates around a bit I'll gladly do it so other folks can get a chance to ride. I doubt this will change any of the anti-rail rhetoric by the ever more partisan Republicans, but it's still nice to see average folks showing some interest in giving the train a try.
Glad I've already got my ticket for a Bedroom on the LL next week then!!

Speaking of stupid anti-rail people, the rail funds for Ohio and Wisconsin have just now been officially distributed to other states. I am so upset at the morons in my state who think this is a good thing.

http://www.nytimes.c...ner=rss&emc=rss

Last edited by a moderator:
If ever there was an argument in favor of funding new equipment, these would have to be excellent illustrations.
If Amtrak buys new equipment to handle peak months like December, what happens with that equipment for the other 11 months? Does Amtrak increase fares in December to cover the costs for the rest of the year when the cars sit ideal; a roomette that was $500, is now $5,000 in December?

Of course this is good overall for Amtrak, bad for those of us that actually Pay to ride! (is the_traveler shivering yet? :giggle: )
t2424.gif

I'm trying to hold back my feelings! But I'm glad many more people are trying Amtrak! (Just don't take my room!
laugh.gif
)

I've been lurking on this site for some time, having taken my first Amtrak trip in ten years or so this past August on the LSL from Syracuse to Chicago. Will be riding again next Friday from Rochester to Chicago. I usually fly or drive but the train has been far more economical than either option, with low-bucket $60-70 AAA fares SYR-CHI and ROC-CHI. I suspect a lot of people like me (a college student) are fed up with high gas prices and inflexible airline policies. For my part, the low fare, plus free checked baggage probably saves me at least $100 each way on the train. But there you have it, the rationale from an occasional rider who is probably selling out the LSL this month.

I doubt this will change any of the anti-rail rhetoric by the ever more partisan Republicans, but it's still nice to see average folks showing some interest in giving the train a try.
With a comment such as this it is obvious that the politicans have got you exactly where they want you to be. It is certainly your right to choose to be a " blind obedient partisan slave" but give it two more years and you won't be talking like this. By that time the depression will be in full force and most everyone will finally realize who the real enemy is.

Just curious, has anyone who has seen specific trains on line listed as Sold Out, then called Amtrak Resv, to verify?

I've been lurking on this site for some time, having taken my first Amtrak trip in ten years or so this past August on the LSL from Syracuse to Chicago. Will be riding again next Friday from Rochester to Chicago. I usually fly or drive but the train has been far more economical than either option, with low-bucket $60-70 AAA fares SYR-CHI and ROC-CHI. I suspect a lot of people like me (a college student) are fed up with high gas prices and inflexible airline policies. For my part, the low fare, plus free checked baggage probably saves me at least $100 each way on the train. But there you have it, the rationale from an occasional rider who is probably selling out the LSL this month.

Thank you!! Because you are going in coach (like most college students), you will not be taking up the_traveler's room. :lol:

When I was a college student, I rode Amtrak (and Seaboard Coast Line before Amtrak) and always rode in coach. Sleepers were not an option for me - now they are a necessity.

If Amtrak buys new equipment to handle peak months like December, what happens with that equipment for the other 11 months?
Just curious, how did you ht on the number 11. Parts of 2 or 3 would probably be a better number.

Does Amtrak increase fares in December to cover the costs for the rest of the year when the cars sit ideal; a roomette that was $500, is now $5,000 in December?
If you hang out here, it won't take long to learn about the "bucket" system, which automatically does what you suggest, except your numbers are a little off; and it works 12 months of the year.

I doubt this will change any of the anti-rail rhetoric by the ever more partisan Republicans, but it's still nice to see average folks showing some interest in giving the train a try.
With a comment such as this it is obvious that the politicans have got you exactly where they want you to be. It is certainly your right to choose to be a " blind obedient partisan slave" but give it two more years and you won't be talking like this. By that time the depression will be in full force and most everyone will finally realize who the real enemy is.
I do not understand, who is the "real enemy"? Politicians, the President? ole beat up George Bush? All I read is the public is finally demanding other methods going from A to B. Maybe afraid of the X-Ray machines and the gropers at security. By traditions, all modes of travel by this time of the year are booked and full. Most persons are not slaves to anything, they do what they can afford or what is best for their needs. When I read about full trains, enhanced pax loads, better on-time performance and plans for increased service and equipment, I view all these issues as good things and not a step backwards to depression. Current interest is in Amtrak (according to boardings) and the return to travel by rail. That is a really good thing! Numbers do not lie.

Thank you!! Because you are going in coach (like most college students), you will not be taking up the_traveler's room. :lol:

When I was a college student, I rode Amtrak (and Seaboard Coast Line before Amtrak) and always rode in coach. Sleepers were not an option for me - now they are a necessity.
Penny, are sleepers a necessity for you so you can go in the proper direction to the dining car??

I traveled from Chicago to New York on the Lake Shore Limited in mid-November. There were vacant roomettes in both sleeper cars.

My SCA (Tom) told me that from a week before Thanksgiving until after Christmas the train would be sold out. I'm glad train travel

has become more popular in the past couple of years and I hope it continues.

Taking the_travelers room would not be advised! I can only imagine the carnage that would follow. On the plus side, I've heard rumors that you can sublet the_travelers penthouse compartment - complete with maid, butler, and a chocolate on your pillow - for the right price.

Penny, are sleepers a necessity for you so you can go in the proper direction to the dining car??

Yes, Dick, I do get turned around very easily. If I am in a sleeper with a toilet in my room, I find it much easier to find the restroom. :lol: However, at times, I do walk the wrong direction to the dinig car and am happy that there are signs posted as to where to go.

If ever there was an argument in favor of funding new equipment, these would have to be excellent illustrations.
If Amtrak buys new equipment to handle peak months like December, what happens with that equipment for the other 11 months? Does Amtrak increase fares in December to cover the costs for the rest of the year when the cars sit ideal; a roomette that was $500, is now $5,000 in December?
This sounds like an unfortunate, but correct, thought. The cost of being able to meet demand during peak times would be hard to justify. Seasonal businesses wrestle with this all the time. If your resource allocation is geared for the most busy times, you end up with lots of idle resources sitting around during off peak times. Those resources still need to be funded somehow.

P.S. I did flunk economics in college, so please don't ask me to justify this.

This sounds like an unfortunate, but correct, thought. The cost of being able to meet demand during peak times would be hard to justify. Seasonal businesses wrestle with this all the time. If your resource allocation is geared for the most busy times, you end up with lots of idle resources sitting around during off peak times. Those resources still need to be funded somehow.

While I'm not suggesting that Amtrak go hog wild buying new equipment to meet peek demand, the simple reality is that they currently don't have enough equipment to meet the demands on many trains for most of the year. Especially in sleeper capacity.

So some increase would definately be justified. And during the few months where the extra equipment wouldn't be needed, Amtrak would actually have an opportunity to do some TLC on it's equipment, something that time and demand currently don't permit.

The justification for your argument is that the money that is made during peak season pays for the infrastructure during the low season. Part of the logic behind the bucket pricing system. Can't really work for Amtrak as it doesn't make a profit at the farebox.

I hope the argument from the right doesn't surface.......Amtrak can run full trains every day of every week and still lose money.

Thanks to this thread I just shaved about 20% off of a trip that I had already booked last month for the week following Christmas. Just for sh!ts and giggles I wanted to see if my trains (CS, SJC-LAX) were sold-out yet and, lo and behold, the Amtrak website was showing roomettes for $30 less each way than when I booked the trip. :eek:

Thanks guys! That almost pays for the overnight room at Metro Plaza. :D

Aloha

While there are many here who know the correct numbers, I want to ask this. If the money was made available to increase cars by say 10%, would the reduction in the bucket rates be greater or less than the cost of the cars and their operation?

Mahalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back