Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they convert 19 cars when they really only need 5? 3 for the LSL and 2 for the Cardinal? Maybe another couple on reserve but 19?

Why did they convert 19 cars when they really only need 5? 3 for the LSL and 2 for the Cardinal? Maybe another couple on reserve but 19?
I suspect that they did it partly just so as to have a uniform fleet and not have to worry about which type of car is available in what yard vs. which type of car is actually needed at that moment.

Additionally it was probably done because prior to the recent favorable change in Congress and the White House, it didn't look like Amtrak was going to be getting any money anytime soon for new equipment. They probably figured that the day would come when there would be no choice but to retire the Heritage diners.

Finally, all is not lost by having done this anyhow. If additional funding does continue to come and Amtrak can obtain new Viewliner cafe cars, these Diner-lite cars would be welcomed additions to trains like the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Pennsy, Palmetto, and the Carolinian. Even the overnight 66/67 could benefit from them, especially if it gets sleepers back too!

I suspect that they did it partly just so as to have a uniform fleet and not have to worry about which type of car is available in what yard vs. which type of car is actually needed at that moment.

Additionally it was probably done because prior to the recent favorable change in Congress and the White House, it didn't look like Amtrak was going to be getting any money anytime soon for new equipment. They probably figured that the day would come when there would be no choice but to retire the Heritage diners.

Finally, all is not lost by having done this anyhow. If additional funding does continue to come and Amtrak can obtain new Viewliner cafe cars, these Diner-lite cars would be welcomed additions to trains like the Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Pennsy, Palmetto, and the Carolinian. Even the overnight 66/67 could benefit from them, especially if it gets sleepers back too!

I doubt that they will get any Viewliner lounges, they barely have funding for the new cars (and I don't think they're getting any extras either). I don't like the idea of having the Amfleet II diner lites on the eastern day trains, too many extra people would have to be hired (and they'd have a Amfleet I Club Dinette in the consist, for a short train (the Cardinal doesn't count since it runs longer and overnight).

I doubt that they will get any Viewliner lounges, they barely have funding for the new cars (and I don't think they're getting any extras either). I don't like the idea of having the Amfleet II diner lites on the eastern day trains, too many extra people would have to be hired (and they'd have a Amfleet I Club Dinette in the consist, for a short train (the Cardinal doesn't count since it runs longer and overnight).

If they could use them to serve "lighter" meals somewhat similar to those they serve on Acela first class I think they should put the Diner-lite cars on the long day trains. No reason to also have an Amfleet club-dinette IMO.

They could use the cars for half diner and half cafe/lounge on the longer trains of the east. Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe only one more person per train.

I agree. Longer day trains like the Adirondack could use them. If you take the Adirondack right from NYP to Montreal, you could end up having 3 "meals" from the cafe "food". It would be nice to have a choice of something else except "Amburgers"!

I agree. Longer day trains like the Adirondack could use them. If you take the Adirondack right from NYP to Montreal, you could end up having 3 "meals" from the cafe "food". It would be nice to have a choice of something else except "Amburgers"!
What is the Canadian version, Canburgers? :lol:

You can get salads, veggieburgers, meatball subs, pizza, etc. Granted there aren't that many choices, but there are more choices than hamburgers.

You can get salads, veggieburgers, meatball subs, pizza, etc. Granted there aren't that many choices, but there are more choices than hamburgers.

Meatball subs? Is that a new menu item because I've never seen it before.

But if you get rid of the Club Dinettes, then you lose the comfy BC seats.

Well they don't have to kill the Club-Dinette car, just not use the cafe section.

Or even better, they can take out the tables that they put in when they converted them from Metroliner Club cars, and restore the chairs, adding still more BC seating.

On a recent ride on the LSL from Chicago to New York, we were offered a brief dinner seating between Albany and New York.
Oh, that's promising. I had heard previously that there is no dinner on the eastbound LSL into New York (since the arrival in NYC is at about 6:30 PM). We are traveling from BUF to NYP at the end of September (in two roomettes) and I was only expecting to get lunch on the train, not dinner or breakfast.
Im also riding the LSL from CHI-NY @ the end of the month, from what Ive read here and heard you still will get only breakfast ( if the train is not late into BUF) and lunch, the diner will not be put on until @ least Oct. I think just the cafe car will be available from ALB-NYP for your trip, and mine! * sigh* :(
I took the LSL east out of Chicago (2 weeks ago) to Springfield MA and we ran on time all the way to Albany! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Im also riding the LSL from CHI-NY @ the end of the month, from what Ive read here and heard you still will get only breakfast ( if the train is not late into BUF) and lunch, the diner will not be put on until @ least Oct. I think just the cafe car will be available from ALB-NYP for your trip, and mine! * sigh* :(
There is no Cafe Car Albany to New York. There is only the Diner-Lite car and it may provide some counter service, but then again it might not. On the day I traveled last month it offered a brief dinner seating. between Albany and New York. I don't know if this is a regular thing or it depends on the mood of the LSA. On that trip we even arrived early into New York.
The NY section does sell snacks in the Dinette! :)

There is no Cafe Car Albany to New York. There is only the Diner-Lite car and it may provide some counter service, but then again it might not. On the day I traveled last month it offered a brief dinner seating. between Albany and New York. I don't know if this is a regular thing or it depends on the mood of the LSA. On that trip we even arrived early into New York.
When we were on in June, they sold a VERY limited amount and variety of snacks and only for a few minutes out of Albany.

When we were on in June, they sold a VERY limited amount and variety of snacks and only for a few minutes out of Albany.
I agree the amount is limited and I noted that they stopped selling them when they started serving Dinner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back