Lake Shore vs Capitol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am going on my first amtrak ride and my wife and i are going from Toledo, OH to Chicago.

The trip from Toledo to Chicago will be in the morning and the trip back will be in the evening.

My question is which train is more comfortable between Lake Shore and Capitol.

I believe from reading that the scenery will be about the same.

It is only a 4 hour trip and I get pretty nervous on rides other than automobiles so i am looking at which train is the most relaxing.

Also my trip back will be on capitol and i have the option of reserved coach seating and lower level coach seating.

Not sure what the difference is.

And will my wife and i have seats together and are they assigned seating.

THanks in advance.

This forum has helped my answer a lot of questions already.

God Bless,

Bart

Also i forgot to ask, but I see that Lake shore has two departures at the same time.

ONe with train 49, and the other one with train 449.

Is that a typo, or what is the difference.

Thanks,

Bart

Ive taken both services about evenly (many trips on each) I always find the Limited to be more comfortable (and on time). The Capital has Superliner cars and they have two levels of seating youll prefer the upper level. Seating isn't reserved but you should have no trouble sitting next to each other.

Finally, the LSL has two sections that split in New York state , one to go to Boston the other to NYC, hence the two numbers (its two trains in one)

It's the same train, just different cars.

Train 49 is New York <=> Chicago, while train 449 is Boston <=> Chicago. The two sections merge in Albany, NY.

I'd suggest the Lake Shore (whichever is cheaper, 49 or 449, as it's the same train) going to Chicago. That way you'll get a taste of both single-level (Lake Shore) and double-level (Capitol) equipment.

Relax! The train is one of the most relaxing ways to travel. Just sit back and watch the scenery go by (or, after dark, read a book).

Reserved seating is on the upper level. Lower level is also reserved and is on the lower level. Seats are not assigned, but you are guaranteed a seat (they never sell more seats than there actually are).

The conductor usually tries to seat couples and groups together. It depends, though. Don't be surprised if you have to sit apart.

Also i forgot to ask, but I see that Lake shore has two departures at the same time.

ONe with train 49, and the other one with train 449.

Is that a typo, or what is the difference.
The Lake Shore Limited (LSL) is a combined train which splits eastbound and merges westbound at Albany NY. 49 is the part of the LSL that heads to and comes from New York City Penn Station. 449 is the part that goes to Boston. From Toledo to Chicago, the only difference to you is that some cars will be from the 449 Boston section and others from the 49 NYC section.

As for the Capitol Limited (CL) versus the LSL, you have a rather unique choice as the 2 trains use different equipment. The CL uses bi-level Superliner cars. That is why the CL offers the choice of upper level versus lower level seating. The LSL uses single level cars and you would be sitting an Amfleet II long distance car if you take coach. Both will have comfortable and roomy seating.

I'll leave it to others to say which train they would prefer and why. One item to consider for Toledo westbound to Chicago is which train is more likely to be on time when it gets to Toledo. Long Distance trains are subject to the whims and congestion of the freight train lines they operate over.

I would take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, and the Capitol Limited back. The reason I would choose the Lake Shore to Chicago is the later departure time. If you don't mind the early departure though, the Capitol Limited would be better. I find the diner food better on double decker trains, and the Sightseer Lounge car is definitely a huge huge bonus. It is a car with huge windows on both sides, so the views are much better than from the normal coach cars. Unless you want to eat dinner in Chicago, I would take the Capitol Limited back, because you would be served dinner on the train and you would have the Sightseer Lounge again. It also seems better to arrive in Toledo closer to 11PM rather than 3AM.

The only difference between "reserve seating" and "lower level seating" on Superliners is that (as stated) the seats are on the lower level. Most of these seats are used by passengers who have difficulty climbing the stairs to the upper level. The rest rooms and door are on the lower level, but access to other cars (such as the Lounge or Dining Car) is via the upper level only.

The scenery on both trains is exactly the same, as they both use exactly the same track!

As stated previously, I too would chose the Lake Shore west (either #49 or #449, whichever is less) and the Capitol Limited back east!

Just sit back and enjoy the ride!
cool.gif

Just keep in mind that going westbound, either train may be delayed significantly due to any delays experienced back east. I checked historical performance, and they seem pretty comparable as far as average delay. Eastbound this won't be an issue as you will be getting on in CHI.

Lake Shore west, Cap east. The Lake Shore's arrival time eastbound is just awful, and it'd be in the dark even at the summer solstice. On the other hand, it's slightly later westbound in the morning, so you'd get scenery both ways this way.

I always prefer LSL east rather than west because westbound you tend to miss the Mohawk valley as the fades into darkness. Eastbound you pretty much get all of the scenic parts of Mohawk and Hudson valley in daylight in summer. At least that has been my consistent experience. The Daylight Savings Time in summer makes sure you get into NY in daylight.

I always prefer LSL east rather than west because westbound you tend to miss the Mohawk valley as the fades into darkness. Eastbound you pretty much get all of the scenic parts of Mohawk and Hudson valley in daylight in summer. At least that has been my consistent experience. The Daylight Savings Time in summer makes sure you get into NY in daylight.
That may be true, but it isn't really relevant in the OP's case as they are traveling between Toledo and Chicago. In that case, I'd echo taking LSL west and CL east - the times would be more reasonable that way. I actually took the CL + Northeast Regional to go to Springfield, MA instead of LSL to avoid that nasty 3am departure out of TOL (I did take LSL back, however). In my case, that departure was even worse as I'd be connecting via a Thruway bus which carries both CL and LSL passengers to TOL, leaving the latter to wait 4 hrs+. I do hope they change those departure times around a bit as a result of the PIP - it would be nice to be able to get to NYC/BOS earlier and not have to get on so late...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back