Late EB in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the eastbound Empire Builder that picked me up in West Glacier, Montana on 7/23. It was 2 hours late at that point. There was a lot of flooding still in eastern Montana and North Dakota.. There were houses underwater. It was supposed to arrive Chicago at 3 pm on 7/24. It ended up arriving Chicago at 5 a.m. on 7/25.

The reasons that were given were mostly waiting for freight trains to pass. I think they had to go fairly slow in the flooded areas, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm currently on the EB! We left Toledo this morning about an hour late on the Lake Shore Limited... Which wasn't so bad, less of a wait in Chicago. We were told the EB would be about 30mins late departing Chicago, but it wasn't, and we had the BEST red cap who took us out and got us on the train before everyone. Right now we're sitting between 30mins-1hr late I'm guessing. Fingers crossed we make it all the the way to Seattle!!

Well, I'm currently on the EB! We left Toledo this morning about an hour late on the Lake Shore Limited... Which wasn't so bad, less of a wait in Chicago. We were told the EB would be about 30mins late departing Chicago, but it wasn't, and we had the BEST red cap who took us out and got us on the train before everyone. Right now we're sitting between 30mins-1hr late I'm guessing. Fingers crossed we make it all the the way to Seattle!!
Good Luck! Keep us posted with updates into SEA. Great to hear from you.

Does anyone have an answer as to why EB trains are running so far behind lately? I spoke with Amtrak a week ago re: what happens if we miss our SEA connection and there was reference made to the flooding being the reason, and I understand it's going to take time to return track to normal, but shouldn't things be improving - no sign of that! Plus, why are some 3 - 4 hours late (westbound) and some so much longer? What happens? Anyone who's ridden #7 lately have any answers - is it track conditions, speed limits, delays for freight - or all of the above? Just curious if there's an "official' reason given - and if anyone can guess if there's any chance of improvement in the next couple of weeks before we board. We're prepared for delays and it won't spoil our trip - well, maybe a little - hope to see mountains in daylight and really prefer to not have to do part of it by bus, but we're looking at it as an adventure! Hope we still feel that way when our first train trip is over! :giggle: Have to mention - great customer service when I called - friendly, helpful - which must be difficult to maintain with the number of issues they're currently dealing with!

Does anyone have an answer as to why EB trains are running so far behind lately? I spoke with Amtrak a week ago re: what happens if we miss our SEA connection and there was reference made to the flooding being the reason, and I understand it's going to take time to return track to normal, but shouldn't things be improving - no sign of that! Plus, why are some 3 - 4 hours late (westbound) and some so much longer? What happens? Anyone who's ridden #7 lately have any answers - is it track conditions, speed limits, delays for freight - or all of the above? Just curious if there's an "official' reason given - and if anyone can guess if there's any chance of improvement in the next couple of weeks before we board. We're prepared for delays and it won't spoil our trip - well, maybe a little - hope to see mountains in daylight and really prefer to not have to do part of it by bus, but we're looking at it as an adventure! Hope we still feel that way when our first train trip is over! :giggle: Have to mention - great customer service when I called - friendly, helpful - which must be difficult to maintain with the number of issues they're currently dealing with!
It is a multi-faceted problem:

1) A backlog of freight traffic developed when the tracks were closed in areas experiencing flooding. That backlog takes a while to work its way through the system.

2) There are slow orders materially restricting train speed in those areas, exacerbating the problem.

3) Delays are causing some train crews to surpass their maximum time on duty and they have to halt the train and wait to bring in new conductors and engineers and stations where they were not prepared with available crew.

4) The compromised tracks are not only in North Dakota, but also in areas that experienced flooding in eastern Montana.

5) Freight lines who own the tracks assign designated time slots to Amtrak for its long distance trains. When Amtrak trains miss those windows because of slow orders and other delays, the Amtrak trains often end up on sidings throughout the journey, waiting for freight trains to clear through.

From everything I read, it will be months before the needed track repairs are all finished and the system is operating smoothly. :eek:hboy: Still, I will travel by train by choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I;m going to SEA in October (GATHERING) but I am NOT riding the HiLine. SWC out and CZ back.

Why take chances? Besides, the scenery is a scoosh bit better.

thanks JMBGEG - helps to know all the reasons for delays - will keep our fingers crossed "our" train won't have major issues! We booked before the flooding, but even then knew we could be subjected to delays, so will make the best of it and I'm sure we'll enjoy it regardless! Appreciate any updates/comments on this subject - love this forum - have learned a lot about rail travel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back