LAX Boarding Procedure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
I saw in another post there is no Lounge at LAUS.

How do they board sleeper passengers? Is it an

all train line up or is there a different route

for sleepers?

What train are you boarding?

When we boarded the SWC, they had the train set up so that sleeper pax went up the ramp to the right (towards the front of the train) and coachers went up the ramp to the left (towards the rear of the train) so there wasn't a massive line to stand in.

I saw in another post there is no Lounge at LAUS.How do they board sleeper passengers? Is it an all train line up or is there a different route

for sleepers?
IIRC there is a specific place for Coast Starlight sleeper pax to wait - just a place, not a room. For all others, just join the hoi-polloi

I will be boarding the Coast Starlight after arriving on the SWC, then

a few days later, I will board the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited.

Thanks for your info.

I boarded the both the Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited at LAUS within the past week as a sleeping car passenger.

There was a check-in kiosk near the main waiting for coach passengers, but not for sleeping car passengers. It was difficult to hear announcements due to the noise in the station, so when it got close to time to leave, I just wandered down the tunnel to the correct departure track. There were signs there directing coach passengers up one ramp and sleeping car passenges up the other ramp.

If you don't know in advance what to do, I can see how it might be easy to miss your train.

I was just there yesterday to catch the 14 back home. The Traxx lounge is open to sleeping car pax and has complimentary coffee and juice (but somewhat limited seating). There was an Amtrak employee checking people in (just looking at tickets and highlighting the name on a copy of the manifest) and then the conductor showed up around 9:30 to start pulling tickets. At around the same time the Red Caps showed up to start grabbing bags from those who wanted their service and then at around 9:45 they told us that the train had arrived on track 10 and that we could start making our way towards it to board. It is a bit of a long walk down the tunnel to track 10 but I was on the train about 20 minutes before departure. :)

When we boarded the SWC, they had the train set up so that sleeper pax went up the ramp to the right (towards the front of the train) and coachers went up the ramp to the left (towards the rear of the train)
Methinks your memory is playing tricks on you, Ryan. LAUS is a stub terminal, and all trains are pulled on departure. Walking down the tunnel from the main hall (Alameda St. side), sleeper pax use lefthand ramps (yes, front of the train), Coach pax go up the righthand ramps. The reverse would only be true for pax boarding from the back (city bus) side of LAUS, or if the train was for some (difficult to imagine) reason spotted for a push mode departure.

That's amazing - you're absolutely correct, but my memory is very clear and quite obviously flipped 180 degrees. That's absolutely bizarre.

Thanks for the correction, and confirming that I'm somehow mental. :D

That's amazing - you're absolutely correct
You're right that Patrick being correct IS amazing!
mosking.gif

So after reading this I went downstairs to ask the wife:

Me: So in LA, boarding the SWC. We left the waiting room, went down the tunnel and...

Her: Turned left and went up the ramp to the train, why?

Me: Nevermind. :p

I boarded the both the Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited at LAUS within the past week as a sleeping car passenger.

There was a check-in kiosk near the main waiting for coach passengers, but not for sleeping car passengers. It was difficult to hear announcements due to the noise in the station, so when it got close to time to leave, I just wandered down the tunnel to the correct departure track. There were signs there directing coach passengers up one ramp and sleeping car passenges up the other ramp.

If you don't know in advance what to do, I can see how it might be easy to miss your train.
I took SS LTD in Jan 2010 and wandered around the viaducts in the tunnel and an Amtrak employee said I looked lost (the actor in me...it worked) and asked if I needed assistance. I told him I was waiting for the SS LTD Sleepers to board and he escourted me to the correct train, 15 minutes before they began boarding.

when I was there a few months ago, only CS pax could use the traxx lounge.

as for boarding if you can't use the traxx thing (it is open to the public after the CS leaves...I have 2 words for you :

RED CAP

they will drive you through the 'hoi polloi' (to borrow a phrase
tongue.gif
) and drop you right at your car ....this little ride can be almost as amusing as the actual train ride....people just do NOT understand the bells and horns the red caps use when driving their carts!!

as for boarding if you can't use the traxx thing (it is open to the public after the CS leaves...I have 2 words for you :

RED CAP

tongue.gif
) and drop you right at your car ....this little ride can be almost as amusing as the actual train ride....people just do NOT understand the bells and horns the red caps use when driving their carts!!
<sarcasm>I can understand the problem. Those red cap carts are too quiet in the tunnels. They're almost impossible to hear until they are right behind you.</sarcasm> :lol:

KIDDING!!!! Holy cow those things are loud!! I really don't know how somebody could ignore them, but I certainly saw it for myself last month when we were at LAUS.

Thanks for your info.
While waiting for the CS you get to hang in the TRAXX Lounge, which is across the mail hall from the TRAXX restaurant. There is coffee, tea, juice, etc. There will be a staffer there to check your tickets, watch your bags, etc. Then a bunch of redcaps came over and offered to drive people over when it was time for boarding. I opted to walk, but I didn't have to wait in line with any coach pax and was just told what track/platform to head to.

i actually think some of them purposely get in front of them!!

BTW the bagel place is pretty good and by now the starbucks should be open. And for some reason, every instant lottery ticket i bought in that little market was a WINNER....once i thought i only won 4 and the clerk said, uh, you won $40!! just sayin' grab a scratch off ticket!!

Barring unusual circumstances, the Coast Starlight boards from Track 10 in Los Angeles. So long as you're traveling sleeper where check-in isn't necessary, you can just grab an expresso and sit on one of the platform's benches while you wait for the Starlight to back in. More times than not, you can board your car before the Red Cap pax even get to the train.

Does anyone know if the Sunset Limited boards at one particular gate most/all of the time in Los Angeles?

when I was there a few months ago, only CS pax could use the traxx lounge.

RED CAP

tongue.gif
I was on the floor laughing so hard one time seeing a red cap at the Houston (IAH) Airport with Continental. His horn did not work so as he was driving through the concourse he was saying, "BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP!" :lol:

i actually think some of them purposely get in front of them!!

BTW the bagel place is pretty good and by now the starbucks should be open. And for some reason, every instant lottery ticket i bought in that little market was a WINNER....once i thought i only won 4 and the clerk said, uh, you won $40!! just sayin' grab a scratch off ticket!!
They have expanded food service at Union Station now:

Famima (Japanese conveniance store chain popping up in the US)

Wetzel's Pretzels

Starbucks

Subway

See's Candy

Traxx Restaurant (art deco decor)

Union Bagel

Some conveniance store I don't recall the name

Also through the tunnel to the opposite end is another conveniance store, not as crowded as the other one unless you are at rush hour.

Thanks for your info.
Dick, do not worry about finding the CS after getting off the SWC. I will be on those same trains at the same time and I have a built-in GPS in my brain. I will make sure you do not make any wrong turns. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your info.
Dick, do not worry about finding the CS after getting off the SWC. I will be on those same trains at the same time and I have a built-in GPS in my brain. I will make sure you do not make any wrong turns. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wanted to know the proper procedure because I thought if I followed you, we would surely make a WRONG TURN and

get lost in the tunnel and probably board the WRONG TRAIN!! Perhaps we need to follow the-traveler who I think

will be boarding the same train!!

Thanks for your info.
I wanted to know the proper procedure because I thought if I followed you, we would surely make a WRONG TURN and

get lost in the tunnel and probably board the WRONG TRAIN!! Perhaps we need to follow the-traveler who I think

will be boarding the same train!!

If I were you, I would follow the_traveler instead of me, also, even though I think my directionometer is getting better. I just got home after a short trip taking 2 long distance trains, two Acelas, the T in Boston twice, a city bus in Orlando and lots of walking and I only made one wrong turn. (it might of helped that my sister was with me in Boston and has a gps on her phone).

Glad you are safely at home.

Did you enjoy your trip?

How about the Acela FC??
I guess this is off topic - sorry :wacko:

I enjoyed my trip very much (thanks for asking) and I am happy to be home (except for the 90+ degree temperature). I really liked Acela FC - especially during the 2-1/2 hour delay when we were going nowhere and the attendants were on top of things (especially Oliver). I plan to write a trip report with more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back