LD crews on NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
I was curious if the LD crews change if trains are late. For example, say 98 is running so late that 20 will actually reach WAS before 98 does.

Does the new crew still arrive and start their shift as if 98 was on time?

Are they called and told to report at a later time to coincide with the arrival of 98?

Do they operate 20 instead, since they were the first crew on and that is the first LD train to arrive?

Do crews "round trip" where they work a northbound train, then a southbound train? If so, how do they schedule when one leg has the potential of being late?

I doubt the T&E crew swap trains, at least in those kinds of instances. They have to be "certified" on the route they're covering, so, unless the trains are taking the exact same route, they probably aren't certified to take the "other" train.

I think he's talking about the northbound trains from WAS up the NEC.

Given the massive number of trains that leave out of there heading up the NEC, I would guess that they show up to work and operate whatever is there.

I am a former crew dispatcher for commuter rail. I cannot speak for every move that Amtrak may make, but various things could happen. Let's say their original train assignment was to be on duty at 9 am, but the train will not be there until noon. They may report at their regular time, and then leave at 12 to go to New York, as they will not likely go penalty. Or, they might be called at home and " respited " and told to report at a later time. Or, they may be instructed to work another train. To my knowledge, crews based out of Washington or New York make a round trip in one day. I am not familiar with those assignments, but it is certainly practical to do it within twelve hours or less. Or the assignment may come out to more than twelve hours, which is OK as long as there is at least a four hour break ( "swing " ) at the layover point. If their train is so late that they cannot cover their return trip, then the suits will be pulling juggling acts to move the crews around. It is possible that they may be deadheaded back to their original terminal. Again, I did not work for Amtrak, but am certainly familiar with the types of maneuvers made when the operation gets out of kilter.

I am a former crew dispatcher for commuter rail. I cannot speak for every move that Amtrak may make, but various things could happen. Let's say their original train assignment was to be on duty at 9 am, but the train will not be there until noon. They may report at their regular time, and then leave at 12 to go to New York, as they will not likely go penalty. Or, they might be called at home and " respited " and told to report at a later time. Or, they may be instructed to work another train. To my knowledge, crews based out of Washington or New York make a round trip in one day. I am not familiar with those assignments, but it is certainly practical to do it within twelve hours or less. Or the assignment may come out to more than twelve hours, which is OK as long as there is at least a four hour break ( "swing " ) at the layover point. If their train is so late that they cannot cover their return trip, then the suits will be pulling juggling acts to move the crews around. It is possible that they may be deadheaded back to their original terminal. Again, I did not work for Amtrak, but am certainly familiar with the types of maneuvers made when the operation gets out of kilter.
When things are out of whack I have seen T&E crew reassigned on the fly to a different train which is ready to go. There have been situations where I was in the last car of a Regional chatting with some Amtrak T&E folks who were deadheading to Washington with the expectation that they'd be taking out train X north, and then just before arriving in Washington they are informed that they will be taking out train Y instead and to report to track thus and such when they arrive. I don't know how common that is. But I have seen that happen.

The question referred to "crews". If the crew you're talking about is OBS, then they would work their assigned train, and report time would be adjusted. Some crews are assigned out of MIA, & would need to be returned home, so they would not be put on the train to NOL.

Tom

The question referred to "crews". If the crew you're talking about is OBS, then they would work their assigned train, and report time would be adjusted. Some crews are assigned out of MIA, & would need to be returned home, so they would not be put on the train to NOL.

Tom
I was referring to T&E crews operating from WAS north on anything other than Regional or Acela service. Sorry for the confusion.

I was curious if the LD crews change if trains are late. For example, say 98 is running so late that 20 will actually reach WAS before 98 does.

Does the new crew still arrive and start their shift as if 98 was on time?

Are they called and told to report at a later time to coincide with the arrival of 98?

Do they operate 20 instead, since they were the first crew on and that is the first LD train to arrive?

Do crews "round trip" where they work a northbound train, then a southbound train? If so, how do they schedule when one leg has the potential of being late?
They won't assign 98' s crew to another train. That other train has a crew assigned. The crew of 98 will wait for 98. If 98 is more than 3 hours late they can call and set the crews sign up time back.

As far as making a roundtrip turn there is usually time built into the couplet assignment so that they don't have to recrew. But if the crew can't make the turn then they move up crews or call a fresh crew. Usually crews don't mind being moved up at the turnaround because they get home earlier and get paid the earnings of the train of their job assignment if it is higher. Not the shorter day.

Is there really any distinction between the T&E crew that operate Regionals and Acelas on the NEC and those that operate the LDs on the NEC?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
There is no distinction. T&E crew on the NEC can and do operate all, Regional, Acela or LD.

Is there really any distinction between the T&E crew that operate Regionals and Acelas on the NEC and those that operate the LDs on the NEC?

There is no distinction. T&E crew on the NEC can and do operate all, Regional, Acela or LD.
There may be no distinction, but I bet the senior crews 'bid' for trains like 98, where they don't have to do much of anything, ticket-wise, but just go along for the ride, and 'Discharge Only' passenger's along the way...... ;)

There may be no distinction, but I bet the senior crews 'bid' for trains like 98, where they don't have to do much of anything, ticket-wise, but just go along for the ride, and 'Discharge Only' passenger's along the way...... ;)
Most of the senior crews bid for weekends off and assignments with good overtime. The weekday crew on 98 has some seniority is but not the most senior. As far as going along for the ride taking tickets is not a conductors prime duty so working a discharge only train is not going along for the ride. The crew does have less work to do.

When things are out of whack I have seen T&E crew reassigned on the fly to a different train which is ready to go. There have been situations where I was in the last car of a Regional chatting with some Amtrak T&E folks who were deadheading to Washington with the expectation that they'd be taking out train X north, and then just before arriving in Washington they are informed that they will be taking out train Y instead and to report to track thus and such when they arrive. I don't know how common that is. But I have seen that happen.
Best story I've heard along those lines (although airline, not rail) had a captain (friend of a co-worker of mine) sitting in his seat on the plane for a scheduled deadhead segment dressed in civvies when a Customer Service Rep came up to him and said the crew desk had just called and was wondering if he was legal to fly the flight. He was and to the amazement of the customer he had been talking to sitting next to him, got up, and headed off to work at the front of the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back