Legit Routing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neutralist

Service Attendant
Do you think I can book this as an AGR one-zone bedroom redemption? This routing is on a single segment without using multi-city.

Kz01HnO.png

Think you are missing the definition of "one zone".

I think your trip would be a FOUR ZONE TRIP. Guys & Gals, help me out here.

Chicago to Wolf Point = 1 zone

Wolf Point to Portland = 1 zone

Portland to Denver (Via Sac) = 1 zone

Denver to Chicago = 1 zone

The "zones" are geographical in nature, did you look at the Zone Map?

The "zones" don't have anything to do with (well, kind of) being able to map a route not using the Multi-City option.

Even if your START POINT and END POINT are in the SAME zone, if you CROSS thru another zone (Say Pittsburgh to Detroit, via Chicago) to get to your END POINT, you now have a TWO ZONE trip.

FROM THE AGR WEBSITE:

REDEMPTION TRAVEL BY ZONE
  • A travel itinerary for a single redemption must follow a published route between the initial origin and final destination. A published route is an itinerary automatically generated by Amtrak's reservation system.
  • A single zone entry or zone exit comprises usage of one zone in the redemption, irrespective of prior or future travel in that zone as part of the same itinerary.
  • Where a desired itinerary does not exist as a single published route, the trip must be constructed as a series of published routes using multiple redemptions.
  • Circle trips are not permitted using a single redemption. A circle trip is a travel itinerary comprised of a series of segments that exit, and later re-enter, the same zone.
  • An Amtrak station located on a zone boundary may be considered part of either bordering zone, if it is the initial origin or final destination for the redemption.
  • Where a published route requires a connection between two segments, a later connecting service may be chosen as long as it departs on the same date as the connection originally offered.
  • Where a published route contains a valid connection of 23 hours, 30 minutes or less, an overnight stay in the connecting city is permitted at the passenger's own expense. (Example: one-way travel from New York to El Paso, where the published route requires an overnight connection in New Orleans, would be permitted on the same redemption.)Where sleeping car service is not offered for the entire published route, and where an alternate direct routing exists with sleeping car service on all segments, the alternate routing is allowed. (Example: Denver, CO to Los Angeles, CA on Trains 5 and 11)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do it in three one-zone redemptions. If you're wanting to, you could pay cash to Columbus, WI and do a two-zone and a one-zone.

GLN - WPT one zone
WPT - DEN one zone
DEN - CHI one zone
-------------------------

or

CBS - DEN (via PDX and SAC) - two zones
DEN - CHI - one zone.

Remember, you cannot go back into a zone once you've left it on a single redemption.

I got one of those strange itineraries when I looked up travel from New Orleans to Los Angeles on a day when the Sunset Limited didn't run. The routing was Crescent to Washington, DC; Capitol Limited to Chicago, and Southwest Chief to Los Angeles. No overnight stopovers, no multi-city, one through itinerary. But when I called AGR to see if I could book it, they said that they would charge me four zones even though it was an official Arrow itinerary. I was able to book CONO to Chicago and SWC to L.A. as a standard two-zone redemption, however.

Even if your START POINT and END POINT are in the SAME zone, if you CROSS thru another zone (Say Pittsburgh to Detroit, via Chicago) to get to your END POINT, you now have a TWO ZONE trip.

CBS - DEN (via PDX and SAC) - two zones

DEN - CHI - one zone.

Remember, you cannot go back into a zone once you've left it on a single redemption.
That basically answers the question. Thanks!

FROM THE AGR WEBSITE:

• Circle trips are not permitted using a single redemption. A circle trip is a travel itinerary comprised of a series of segments that exit, and later re-enter, the same zone.
Since the question has been answered, I'll be That Guy and point out that you don't have a two zone trip, you have two one zone trips - you can't book them on the same reservation according to the "circle trip" rule.

That said, I'll also be That Guy Again and note that AGR agents have seemingly ignored the rule in some cases and booked the trip.

FROM THE AGR WEBSITE:

Since the question has been answered, I'll be That Guy and point out that you don't have a two zone trip, you have two one zone trips - you can't book them on the same reservation according to the "circle trip" rule.

That said, I'll also be That Guy Again and note that AGR agents have seemingly ignored the rule in some cases and booked the trip.
I'll be That Other Guy and say that technically, Detroit is on the boundary, so it would work as a two-zone reward. Two one-zone rewards are not required.

Back