lincoln nebraska depot questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
Quick trivia question -- pitching the wife on a quick train trip on the CZ departing Lincoln to Glenwood Springs CO and back in December. Closest depot to Wichita KS appears to be Lincoln. Which leads to two questions?

- I thought there was a change to trackage in downtown Lincoln that resulted in the train depot moving. However when I checked the depot address on Amtrak.com, it comes up at the same place. So is the same old depot and platforms still in use, and I'm just losing my mind?

- What's the LT parking situation at the station? We'd be leaving a car there for several days. When we return, would it still have four tires and an engine, is the parking paid, or what?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't know for sure about the depot status, but if it is still in the same place, there is a parking garage about a block away....we left our car there and no problems.....

I think the with the changed station locations is Galesburg, IL (which used to have 2 Amtrak stations). AFAIK, LNK only had 1 location. We have a resident AU member who lives in Lincoln. I'm sure he will chime in with further info.

HQ - Calling Al! Are you there?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
mosking.gif
laugh.gif

If you don't want to drive all the way to Lincoln, you could get on in Newton, take a Raton-Denver bus, and the CZ to Glenwood. However, this would require a hotel stay in DEN. I'm 99% sure you knew this, but in case you didn't, I just thought I's throw it out there.

If you don't want to drive all the way to Lincoln, you could get on in Newton, take a Raton-Denver bus, and the CZ to Glenwood. However, this would require a hotel stay in DEN. I'm 99% sure you knew this, but in case you didn't, I just thought I's throw it out there.
It would probably be better if you got on in Newton and changed to the CZ in Galesburg, IL. A little back tracking but doesnt include an overnight. That's if the OP would want to do that.

Drive to Lincoln! I have all your answers to your questions. I take Amtrak alot and will be taking Amtrak to GSC in 2012.

Station has not moved and won't move for another couple of years. Your car will be fine BUT DO NOT leave anything of value in view of others such as cd's, sunglasses etc. Our depot is 4 blocks away from the City Mission so the area has some (not alot) smash and grabs if there's something "cool" or "of value" sitting in the car.

The Haymarket Area where are station is at is a great place to come, hang out, have dinner, take in a movie, a play or shop. Its a very safe part of town as well and very well lit. The City Mission is across the tracks and if your car is sitting there all night with items in view, thats when the crime will occur. Any more questions throw me a PM. The parking lot is a paid lot. It will be around $9 per day. And if for any reason the gate won't come up, there's a city parking lot at 9th and Q where you can have it under a roof as well (inclement weather) that would be a 2 block walk. Dump off your luggage and one guest and then drive the car back to 9th and Q. The lot you really want to park in is 10 yards to the north of our station but its not covered.

Al :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back