Linked reservations, sharing room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heading North

Service Attendant
Next weekend I'm taking my first overnight train trip in quite a long time--traveling to Florida with my mother, who doesn't fly. We're sharing a bedroom and she's boarding in TRE (where she lives), while I'm boarding in WAS (where I work). I explained the situation by phone when booking the tickets, and was told that the reservations are linked so that we can share the room. I've picked up the tickets, and noticed that hers has the train number, car, and room assignment, while mine just reads "BEDROOM" and has that day's date--no train, no car, no room number.

Will I be able to wait in the ClubAcela in WAS? And will I have any trouble getting on the train? I know the car and room from seeing the other ticket (and will bring a photocopy with me) but am hoping there won't be any hassle about it. Also, if I'm in the CA, will I be likely to board before the engine change (when the train arrives), or only afterward?

Thanks so much--I'm usually the one with lots of answers from train travel on both coasts and a little bit in the middle, so it's unusual to have the questions this time.

You shouldn't have any trouble. However, if there is any question, have the ClubAcela agent look up your PNR and it will explain to them what's going on.

Is the reason why Heading North's ticket does not have the car and room number

printed on it because he and his mother are boarding at different stations?

When my wife and I share a bedroom, each of our tickets show the car and room number.

Both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor board from the Club Acela in WAS. Last week, we boarded as soon as the Meteor arrived, before the engine change.

Is the reason why Heading North's ticket does not have the car and room number

printed on it because he and his mother are boarding at different stations?

When my wife and I share a bedroom, each of our tickets show the car and room number.
Yes. His mother would have the room ticket for the full length of their journey, and he would have an open ticket that is manually linked to his mother's reservation.

I just thought I'd follow up on this and let people know how things went in the end!

The ClubAcela attendant seemed a little confused, but I explained the linked reservation and he was able to look it up on the computer to verify the train and room number, and I was good to go. When I boarded, the car attendant didn't understand my ticket at first ("But what room is it?") and when I told him the room number, he said "But there's somebody in there!" I started to explain, and then he remembered that my mom had mentioned me joining her in DC. So in short, it can definitely be done, but it takes a little explanation because it doesn't seem to happen that often!

Aside from that, it was a fantastic trip. Juan Reza was the dining car LSA, and did a fantastic job--the most professional and attentive service I've had on Amtrak. (On the way back, I had Cathy for a car attendant, who was also quite good and really funny.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back