Little about me

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
My name is Ben, From a small town in Western Ky. My train storys go way back to when I was just a kid. Lived in a small town that coal trains ran hauling from several mines in the area. It was fun as a kid back in the 50's to catch a ride on one that went in front of my grandmothers house. It was a short 3 mile ride but if you got the right engineer you got to ride in the engine to the mines and back. I did that a lot back then. I think of the times I climbed over or went under gondola cars that were parked on the main line when they broke the train apart to go to differant mines.

I rode one passenger train as a kid from Louisville, Ky to Central City don't remember a lot about it being so young.

My next train experance was in Panama City Beach, Florida. There was a steam train that ran a loop from near the beach to a wild west town named Pettycoat junction. The loop was about 3 miles long. I was stationed at Tyndall AFB just south of there and worked weekends as a train robber/gunfighter for the tourist. Had a lot of fun the year I did that.

Living and working in NW Indiana near the town of Porter for over 30 years, We took the South Shore into Chicago a few times and did the street run in Michigan City I have seen brought up here....back when the train was painted orange.

Fast foward several years....I took the CZ- Desert wind to Vegas to attend a trade show and back out of Chicago. That was a fun interesting trip.

Next is a early Sept trip back out west to Reno from Carbondale, Il and return. My wife of 43 years has never rode a LD train and made the decision rather than flying someplace on vacation this year to do a train trip. She has never seen the Rockey's except from the air and after many years of me telling her it's one thing you need to see up close this will be the year.

Not near as train crazy as some here are but sure is a differant mode of travel.

Welcome
hi.gif
a little late!

I just think travel by train is more civilized, and that the view from 15 feet is much better than from 30,000 feet!
biggrin.gif

Welcome Ben. I went over the Rockies by train last year - it was magnificent. I am sure your wife will love the trip.

Welcome
hi.gif
a little late!

I just think travel by train is more civilized, and that the view from 15 feet is much better than from 30,000 feet!
biggrin.gif
15 feet, Your penthouse is that low? :lol: :wub:
You didn't see the photo of the penthouse suite in the left?
huh.gif
(It was a secret, but it was leaked somehow!
angry.gif
)

viewliner-%26-aerotrain.gif

• It's put on the rear of the train, since there is no pass thru! And if the train needs to reverse direction for some reason, I allow the crew to come inside! The other photo is how I get from the station down to the end of the train! (It's a long walk!)

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    laugh.gif

Back