LOCKS??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitzib

Train Attendant
Haven't rode any trains yet but gathering information. One question are there locks on the sleeper rooms? If you go to the dining car, do you lock your room or just leave it as is? Just curious

No locks, though the doors close and privacy curtains make them rather secure. (You can lock them from the inside.) I've ridden thousands of miles in sleepers and have never had a problem with anything being taken. The SCAs are pretty vigilant about not allowing folks into the sleeper cars who are not sleeper car passengers.

Probably best not to leave valuables in plain view, and if you are particularly worried (about a laptop or scanner, for e.g.), you can always carry it with you.

As said you can lock the room from the inside of the room but not from the outside of the room. When I leave the room, I just close the curtain and door. Someone walking by will not know if I'm in the room or not. (I sometimes close them even if I'm in the room.) As far as your valuables, if you don't want to carry it with you, I just messily cover them on my seat or bed with a pillow or blanket or coat. (But I would still take things like my purse or wallet with me.)

Also, remember that the only ones in your sleeping car (except in certain cases) are other sleeping car passengers who have the same "problem" with locks as you do!

Yes, the key is "out of sight, out of mind". Just don't leave anything in view that you consider "valuable". As stated above, the SCAs do a good job monitoring each car, but I would not leave a watch or computer in plain sight when leaving your room. I even sometimes take my computer (it's a small lap top) with me, since it has a lot of business info on it. There just is not that much traffic of people walking around in the sleepers-other than your fellow sleeper passengers.

I do the same things the others mentioned. I take my purse and phone with me and put my laptop (in its bag) in the closet. Then we just close the curtains and shut the door. If it's later in the day, we leave the light on so it looks like we're in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back