Looking for a document about passenger rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Ok back in November or Dec. there was a discussion about how Amtrak works and all, and someone posted a link to pdf file all about passenger rail in America. It had an article about how the Empire Builder operates, Greyhound, and several general passenger rail stuff. It was a great document, but i have no idea what it was titled, and searching is doing much good. I remember the intro, said something like "if you thought you understood passenger rail, you'll really understand it now." Or something like that.

Could someone help me out. I'm caught in a debate in Airliners.net forums, and there a few anti-Amtrak people, and I need to post that link for them, and get some info for myself. So any links would be great!

Chris

Good luck there, saxman. I visited that site as well, and all I can say is Holy Bricks what misinformed folks. It can be enraging to read when those who are trying to level criticism aren't even bothered to get their facts straight. One poster even went so far as to say that the train between CHI & WAS takes 3 days! Talk about misinformed!

Here's yet another link: Narprail.org Click on "More Resources," and then select "Amtrak Myths . . . "

Here's another counter-arguement:

[rant mode *ON]

I have an idea: I suggest we privatize every last inch of the Interstates & Federal highways - every last inch!! get rid of the Gas Tax, and get rid of the Highway trust fund. All users would have to do is pay a toll (or, if you like, pay "rent," or a "one time user fee") to use the stretch of highway in question. Every inch of the highway would be required to turn a profit, or else be turned into nature preserve. The tolls would be paid for on an out-of-pocket basis. Would any members of the forum care to guess as to how much the tolls would be? After all, you can bet that the road owners would want to charge as much as the market will bear, and not just cover their costs.

Same with the airlines. If someone in your city wants air service, then let him or her build their own airport, and charge a user fee. They could form a joint stock corporation, and sell shares of ownership. Each airline would have to purchase ownership of a particular airport if the airline wanted to fly there. All airports will be private airports - no municipal ownership of airports allowed! Get rid of the Airline trust fund, and completely privatize every single last inch of the Air Traffic Control system. Same with the TSA nonsense - let the users pay the fully allocated cost of operation. Guess how much it would cost to fly around then? I'd be willing to bet that a train trip would look like a bargain in comparison.

As long as we are talking of having all forms of transport be self-sufficient, I say we get serious and eliminate the policies and practices that have stacked the deck against rail and towards other modes of transport. After all, the Federal government's role is merely to regulate interstate commerce, not rig the system in favor of certain modes over others.

Oh, yeah. While I'm on the topic, let's make certain that all barges must pay the full cost of those locks, dams and the dredging of the navigable waterways. That would involve the use of tolls. As long as I'm on this leveling of the playing field streak, I want to be thorough.

All forms of transport, not just Amtrak alone, should make a profit and cover their costs. [Facetious mode ON]If I don't use a particular stretch of road, I certainly don't want my tax dollars going to support it.[/Facetious mode *OFF] Let's see our Elected Representatives practice what they preach, and privatize every last inch of transport.

[end rant]

What a wealth of information! I cannot wait to get home where I can study it in leisure.

Somehow I missed this the first time it appeared.

So, thanks to saxman66 for asking about it and thanks to rmadisonwi for re-providing the linik.

Back