Looks like Amtrak fits the bill tonight!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
I am in Flagstaff, AZ at the moment and anybody who is watching the news knows we are still in the middle of this huge storm. I was supposed to fly Horizon Air Saturday afternoon, as part of a trip to Hawaii later next week. But the flights did not operate yesterday, probably not today and tomorrow looks pretty iffy. So, I have cancelled the outbound portion of that flight and booked a roomette one waytonight, 1-22 FLG-LAX for $177- not bad. The train seems to be doing quite well through this mess. This morning's eastbound was 2 hours late through Flagstaff ( freights in the way, according to the daytime ticket agent ) but last night's westbound was on time and tonights #3is on time at Raton! It is time to get out of this town!

I'd say $177 is a cheap price to pay for the peace of mind you'll have by taking the train. Hope you get a good nights sleep and arrive tomorrow morning refreshed and ready for the next leg of your trip.

$177? For coach, the upgrade, or all of it?? :huh: If that's 177 for all of it thats a bargin! That's a price you could get 11 months in advance!

Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Stephen

$177? For coach, the upgrade, or all of it?? :huh: If that's 177 for all of it thats a bargin! That's a price you could get 11 months in advance!

Stephen
When I first punched up the coach fare ( it would not accept the AAA discount less than 3 days in advance ) the coach fare was $116. Then I went to add a room and it read " add $118." I selected the roomette and the total was $177, as it then deducted $57 off the coach fare. Yes, a pretty good deal, I would say, but I don't understand the logic. The reservation now reads $59 for the rail fare, plus $118 for the sleeper. Kindly enlighten me. ( #3 on the website is going to leave Albuquerque on time. )

I am in Flagstaff, AZ at the moment and anybody who is watching the news knows we are still in the middle of this huge storm. I was supposed to fly Horizon Air Saturday afternoon, as part of a trip to Hawaii later next week. But the flights did not operate yesterday, probably not today and tomorrow looks pretty iffy. So, I have cancelled the outbound portion of that flight and booked a roomette one waytonight, 1-22 FLG-LAX for $177- not bad. The train seems to be doing quite well through this mess. This morning's eastbound was 2 hours late through Flagstaff ( freights in the way, according to the daytime ticket agent ) but last night's westbound was on time and tonights #3is on time at Raton! It is time to get out of this town!
When you get to Los Angeles, ask them at the station about FlyAway bus service which will whisk you to the LAX Airport. Otherwise from the train station take the Red line to the Blue line (not through the best of neighborhoods) to the green line (watch your valuables on the trains) until you you get to the Aviation Station and then there is a bus to take you to the airport. Remember, the Red line ticket does not cover the other lines. The ticket machine at the green line station is on the dark middle level in a not so wonderful neighborhood while you dig out money or a credit card. I would opt for the FlyAway bus especially since the Green Line went down last night due to no power.

When you get to Los Angeles, ask them at the station about FlyAway bus service which will whisk you to the LAX Airport. Otherwise from the train station take the Red line to the Blue line (not through the best of neighborhoods) to the green line (watch your valuables on the trains) until you you get to the Aviation Station and then there is a bus to take you to the airport. Remember, the Red line ticket does not cover the other lines. The ticket machine at the green line station is on the dark middle level in a not so wonderful neighborhood while you dig out money or a credit card. I would opt for the FlyAway bus especially since the Green Line went down last night due to no power.
I am going to LA this weekend for several music events on Sunday. I leave for Hawaii next Friday. I will take the Flyaway bus on Thursday,, which seems to be the recommended route and stay overnight at an airport hotel. I have used the three train and a bus connection several years ago. It works, but is rather cumbersome.

Stephen
When I first punched up the coach fare ( it would not accept the AAA discount less than 3 days in advance ) the coach fare was $116. Then I went to add a room and it read " add $118." I selected the roomette and the total was $177, as it then deducted $57 off the coach fare. Yes, a pretty good deal, I would say, but I don't understand the logic. The reservation now reads $59 for the rail fare, plus $118 for the sleeper. Kindly enlighten me. ( #3 on the website is going to leave Albuquerque on time. )
When you book sleeper accomodations, the base rail fare drops to the lowest bucket. even if it is otherwise sold out. My guess is the rationale is you are not occupying a coach seat (which is all the base rail fare buys you), so the bucket for the sleeper accomodation controls it.

Something similiar happened for me on the Empire Builder a couple of years ago when a roomette booked less than a week in advance turned out to be cheaper than coach for two people. An out and out lower price, never mind factoring in the value of the meals. I went from driving to Chicago to taking the Builder because of it.

Because of this, if the coach fare appears to be anything other than the lowest bucket, you should always check the sleeper price, just in case. It doesn't happen often at all, but it does happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen
When you book sleeper accomodations, the base rail fare drops to the lowest bucket. even if it is otherwise sold out. My guess is the rationale is you are not occupying a coach seat (which is all the base rail fare buys you), so the bucket for the sleeper accomodation controls it.

Something similiar happened for me on the Empire Builder a couple of years ago when a roomette booked less than a week in advance turned out to be cheaper than coach. I went from driving to Chicago to taking the Builder because of it.

Enjoy it -- although it is always theoretically possible, it doesn't really happen very often.
Thank you. I hope Sharon will be my SCA, one of Amtrak's finest.

Otherwise from the train station take the Red line to the Blue line (not through the best of neighborhoods) to the green line (watch your valuables on the trains) until you you get to the Aviation Station and then there is a bus to take you to the airport. Remember, the Red line ticket does not cover the other lines. The ticket machine at the green line station is on the dark middle level in a not so wonderful neighborhood while you dig out money or a credit card. I would opt for the FlyAway bus especially since the Green Line went down last night due to no power.
If one were to take the subway/LRT option, it is far easier and cheaper to just buy a day pass, rather than individual tickets for each line.

By all means take the Flyway to LAX from Union Station. It's $7. Direct. Sometimes takes only 20 minutes, esp. as you're arriving on Sat. morning. The walk from the SWC down the tunnel to the boarding area is less than 5 minutes!

The LA Metro alternative is nuts! You have to be an all-time, A-1 railfan enthusiast to tolerate its two train transfers AND a pokey bus ride. The cost would be $5 (purchase of a day pass) so it's not like you'd save much money. You certainly would pay a lot in aggravation, just in walking from the Red Line to the Blue Line to the Green Line to the Shuttle Bus, all the while lugging your bag(s) and cooling your heels while waiting for each transfer.

The LA Metro alternative to LAX was designed by someone who wanted to kill public transit.

Here's my comments on last night's trip. I am now in a Hollywood motel, awaiting the arrival of friends who are flying from Phoenix. The point of this writeup is that the train operated very well from Flagstaff to LA, when other modes of transport were shut down for two days from the huge storm. I left my car under the cover of the Drury Hotel garage and made my way on foot through the treacherous Flagstaff streets. I had an excellent dinner at one of the better places in town, The Cottage Inn, although many restaurants in town were closed. About 20 westbound passengers ( 2 sleeper pax ) gatheerd for the train, which had been close to schedule all day. Carol, the regular evening agent, was on duty, along with the regular daytime man,Gary, who evidently was working overtime to assist her in the snowy conditions with baggage. I had seen Gary earlier in the day outy on the platform withn a snowblower. She advised everyone that the train would make three stops - normally makes one at FLG - one for baggage, so that it could be unloaded directly in front of the station rather than at the far end of the platform, one for sleepers and one for coach. The train arrived about 15 late, and with the time consuming stop, it was there for about 20, instead of the usual 6 minutes. I ended up in a roomette on the lower level, which was spic and span and pretty much in good working order. I made use of the shower and went to bed, after giving advice to Canadian travellers getting off at Williams Junction about Grand Canyon, where I used to be a tour guide. ( can't help myself. ) it took me a long time to go to sleep, and was the first time that I have used my CPAP ( actually BiPap ) machine on a train- an extension cord helped. However, I seem to have slept better that I thought I did, as I have no recollection of stopping at Kingman, Needles, or Barstow. I thought my cell phone would automatically adjust to the time zone, but it did not, awaking me at 4:30am Pacific Time, an hour earlier than desired. Breakfast is served only between 5 and 6 am., with limited selection. But I must say the sausage and eggs, promptly served, were really tasty, even if it is served on plastic plates. The weather cleared, with much standing water all over the landscape from the storm, and we rolled without interruption in Union Station, 15+ minutes early. Patronage overall on the train appeared to be on the light side. There were only about 5 or 6 having breakfast at the time I was in the diner, and the sleepers were anything but full. A good trip, and a seamless one at that, with all the disruptions that the storm had caused. The flight that I had orginally been booked on from Flagstaff to LA did operate today, but yesterday looked iffy, so I'm glad I booked this trip on the Southwest Chief.

Aha!!!!!! Just checked the Flagstaff Aiport website. My flight had been scheduled to operate, but now I see that it was diverted, so if I had stayed waiting for that flight, I would have missed my concerts here in LA!!!! Now they owe me a refund! WIll use Horizon Air on the return trip.

I would have taken LAX-MRC on Thursday, but the SL/TE doesn't operate on Thursdays. :angry:

I was trying to fly PDX-PHX, but only got as far as LAX. I ended up renting a car and driving.

I would have taken LAX-MRC on Thursday, but the SL/TE doesn't operate on Thursdays. :angry: I was trying to fly PDX-PHX, but only got as far as LAX. I ended up renting a car and driving.

Glad you made it. It would not have worked taking the SWC to Flagstaff, as Interstate 17 was closed for around two days. Flagstaff was pretty much cut off from the rest of the state. I am still impressed by the smorrth trip last night that brought me to LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back