Los Angeles hotel and luggage storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey42

Service Attendant
[SIZE=medium]I am planning on taking the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles with a scheduled arrival at 9:00 pm. I will depart on the Southwest Chief the next day at 6:15 pm in a roomette. Can someone offer recommendations on hotel and luggage storage options? In the morning I would like to store my luggage somewhere (at the hotel or at the station) and then do some sightseeing. Later in the day, I will pick up the luggage and head to the train.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The hotel should be convenient to LAUS and the Metro red line. Nothing fancy is needed, but it needs to be clean and safe for an overnight stay.[/SIZE]

As far as hotels, you really can't beat the Metro Plaza. It is an easy 2 block, ~5 minute walk from Union Station. You can even see it from the station.

Will you be checking or need access to your bags. If not, you could check them at the station in the morning. Or you could day check them at the station, but the fee I think is something like $4-5 PER BAG!

Will you be checking or need access to your bags. If not, you could check them at the station in the morning. Or you could day check them at the station, but the fee I think is something like $4-5 PER BAG!
We will not be checking the bags on Amtrak. If I can day check bags in the morning and pick them up before we board the train, $4-5 will be worth it.

Just remember that rate is per bag, so if you have 4 bags, that's $16-$20! Another possible possibility is in the new Metropolitan Lounge at LAX that just opened, if you're in a sleeper on the SWC. I was there for about 1 hour last week, and I did not notice if they did or did not have luggage storage or not. If they did, it would be free.

Just remember that rate is per bag, so if you have 4 bags, that's $16-$20! Another possible possibility is in the new Metropolitan Lounge at LAX that just opened, if you're in a sleeper on the SWC. I was there for about 1 hour last week, and I did not notice if they did or did not have luggage storage or not. If they did, it would be free.
They don't have a Dedicated Area for Luggage Storage Yet! t was Stored All over the Lounge in every Room when we were there Last Week!

When I've stayed at the Metro Plaza they were very good about allowing us to keep our luggage behind the desk. It is a good solid not -too-fancy hotel just steps from what you need. My only complaint is the TV wasn't worth a crap but then again I wasn't there to watch TV.

When I've stayed at the Metro Plaza they were very good about allowing us to keep our luggage behind the desk. It is a good solid not -too-fancy hotel just steps from what you need. My only complaint is the TV wasn't worth a crap but then again I wasn't there to watch TV.
The Metro Plaza seems to be the perfect choice for what we need. I'm glad you were able to store luggage at the Metro Plaza. I had seen a Trip Advisor comment about the inability to store luggage at the hotel, so I was not sure if that was a one time issue or policy. If luggage storage at the hotel is a problem, it looks like there will be some capability at the station. I had hoped the new Metropolitan Lounge would be an option, but based on Jim's comment, it does not sound like they are really ready yet. If I can store two bags at the station for $8-$10 total, I can live with that.

I Pricelined into the Westin Bonaventure (about 2 blocks from the 7th St/Metro Center Red Line station) for about the same price as the Metro Plaza.

Like any major hotel, they held my luggage for me until I was ready to pick it up to go to Union Station. The Metro Plaza will hold your luggage, too, but they just stack it behind the desk in plain sight.

Yes, you can leave bags in the Metropolitan Lounge for the day. At least as of earlier this month, they don't have actual luggage racks on which to place it, so the attendant will just put it against the wall near their desk, where they can keep an eye on it.

We followed advice from here on AU and stayed @ Metro Plaza in August. Reasonable rate, close to LAUS to ride subway, good neighborhood for walking, and good food. Not fancy, but works very well for Amtrak riders, as it is close by LAUS, easy walking distance. With bags, that is important!

Hotels.com rate was about $75 per night.

They kept bags for us until we needed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent 5 nights total at the Metro Plaza Hotel on three separate trips in the last 6-7 years..... most recently with my wife and daughter prior to catching the CS northbound this past July. It has been clean and reasonably priced each time. Not fancy but has the basics covered for a one night layover close to Union Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you stay at Metro Plaza and have "bottomed out" on Philippe, there is a GREAT Taquita place right across the street at the entrance to Olvera Street. Likewise the little Bodega in the same building as the Plaza slings a pretty good variety of Mexican Food.

If you stay at Metro Plaza and have "bottomed out" on Philippe, there is a GREAT Taquita place right across the street at the entrance to Olvera Street. Likewise the little Bodega in the same building as the Plaza slings a pretty good variety of Mexican Food.
The taqueria on the end by the Metro Plaza is pretty good, and the Mexican Diner on the other end is really good for sit down (closes early, homemade food that my g/f, who is Mexican, really liked) but the Mexican restaurant in the middle is not good and not at all worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back