Los Angeles to Chicago Jaunt on Texas Eagle part 1.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davids

Train Attendant
Our journey started on Friday, Dec 5. The 3 of us, wife, our 4 months old baby and I arrived in LAX around 8 pm. We went straight to baggage check in. 1 of our baggage was overweight. I had to buy amtrak box for $5.00 to move some stuff out from the baggage. We then headed out to the Metropolitan Lounge on the second floor to relax. The lounge attendant was a very nice and friendly lady, we did not get her name. She explained the boarding process and offered redcap service. I was little bit disappointed, they no longer have the cappucinno machine. :( There were not many people waiting in the lounge. We chat with 1 couple from Eugene, OR travelling to New Orleans.

DSC_0060.JPGDSC_0061.JPGDSC_0062.JPG

By 9:30 they started to call everyone to board. The excitement grew up, because this was our first overnight amtrak trip. We had redcap service to take us to the trainside through the back door of the lounge. Our SCA, Anthony, introduced himself and help us with our luggage. A very nice guy. Our bed was already made by the time we stepped into our room # 10 on the right side in car 2230, the last car of the consist. DSC_0077.JPG

The train left at 10:13 pm, I took shower then retrieved myself to the upper bunk. My wife and our baby slept on the lower bunk. The top bunk has really low clearance, I need my acrobatic skills to get settle in there. Being overweight obviously does not help. I wish there are windows on the top bunk so it does not feel like sleeping in a coffin. The bed was surprisingly cozy and comfortable I fell asleep as soon as train left ontario, ca around 11:19 pm. Our baby was surprisingly very calm, she slept well like a baby. Oh wait, she is a baby,

I woke up around 4:00 am then went to the lounge car. The lounge was almost empty, there were only 3 or 4 lounge lizards. One guy slept on the floor in a sleeping bag. DSC_0089.JPG

The train arrived in Yuma, AZ around 4:19. I was going to step out to take picture but was denied by the conductor. She said that stop is only for departing or boarding passengers only. :( DSC_0091.JPG

I then went back to my room to continue my sleeping beauty. we woke up somewhere in AZ past Maricopa, then went to dining car for breakfast. I had continental breakfast with oatmeal and chicken sausage side and wife had french toast with pork sausage side.DSC_0115.JPGDSC_0114.JPG Our seatmate was a guy in his 30s who originally from the Netherland travelling from Eugene, OR to Florida.

The rest of the trip went uneventful. I spent most of the time in the lounge while my wife and our baby most of the time were in the roommette as she sometimes need to nurse the put our baby to sleep. Most of the view are flat lands with some cactus trees in the sight. I saw some fall color foliage, very pretty.

We arrived in Tucson at 8:31 am, 20 minutes late. I stepped outside to take some pictures and fresh air. My wife and baby stayed in the roomette as our baby was still sleeping. DSC_0118.JPGDSC_0120.JPG

I found this interesting thing in the station. Not sure what that was for, I assume it was for train control? DSC_0121.JPGDSC_0122.JPG At 9:35 the train left Tucson. I went back to our roomette played with our baby and took some pictures. Being in the last car, I had opportunity to take pictures of the front part if the train when it curved. DSC_0140.JPGDSC_0144.JPGDSC_0145.JPGDSC_0153.JPG

Right before we arrived in Benson, AZ, the lead service attendant came by and took lunch and dinner reservation.DSC_0157.JPG

I had chicken caesar salad and wife had angus burger for lunch and ice tea for wash out our lunches. DSC_0226.JPGDSC_0230.JPGDSC_0231.JPGDSC_0239.JPG

We spent of our afternoon in the lounge. Baby seemed to enjoy the view outside the window. DSC_0241.JPGDSC_0249.JPG

Right before we reach El Paso, our attendant announced that Mexico will be visible from the right side. We got lucky as our roommatte was on the right side. DSC_0255.JPGDSC_0258.JPGDSC_0270.JPG

At 3:28 pm, we arrived in El Paso, TX where the restocked the kitchen. I asked the cook if I can see the kitchen and take some pictures, but he did not allow me. :( Since our baby awoke, my wife and our baby stepped outside for the first time to take some pictures and fresh air. We took some selfie pictures too. The train left El Paso on 3:56 pm DSC_0294.JPGDSC_0300.JPG then we headed to the lounge car again.

part 2 coming up

I woke up around 4:00 am then went to the lounge car. The lounge was almost empty, there were only 3 or 4 lounge lizards. One guy slept on the floor in a sleeping bag.
I have read in other trip reports about people sleeping in and on the floor in the SSL car.

A sleeping bag sounds like a good way to do it. lol.

Nice photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know that Amtrak restocked food service cars enroute...
Yup. I've heard LSAs talking about how they need to call ahead and ask for more bottled water, etc.

David, I really enjoyed your pictures. I haven't seen many from the LA to El Paso portion of the trip. I've only taken the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Dallas. I've always wanted to see the Sunset Limited portion.

Back