Lots of excitement in Kingston today!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon02852

Train Attendant
First off, NER 174 broke down after leaving Trenton, NJ, putting it about two hours behind schedule. Passengers had to be transferred to NJ Transit and then transferred back to an Amtrak train to continue their journey north. Instead of arriving at Kingston at 5:12, it got there at 7:00.

So it drops off and picks up passengers, but the signal ahead is still red. 174 slowly approaches the signal and then comes to a complete stop. They contact dispatch to get permission to continue through the red signal (rule 241) but it takes a while for them to communicate with dispatch to get the necessary permissions.

Meanwhile, Acela 2166 is approaching Kingston. They are aware of the red signal and are slowly creeping up at 5 miles per hour. The staff onboard the Acela got quite antsy due to the slow speeds and made hilarious noises over the radio. Then NER 176 turns the corner. So we have NER 174 stopped at the red signal just past Kingston, Acela 2166 about a mile from the station, and NER 176 about a mile behind the Acela. These three trains were crawling along this five and a half mile stretch of the NEC.

Each train had to stop at the red signal and get permission from dispatch to go through the red signal (rule 241). It didn't take long for maintenance to start working on the signal...because it was obviously broken. I drove up to the signal and saw an Amtrak maintenance guy working on the area near the signal in an attempt to find out why it was not functioning properly.

Here is a 20 minute video I recorded of the entire process (starting with NER 174 stopped at the red signal and ending with NER 176 proceeding past the red signal). The conductors and engineers are in very high spirits too! They make tarzan noises, played music over the radio, and showed an impressive sense of humor. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed experiencing this!

Post your comments or questions as I want to know what people think about this.

Admin Note - there is strong language in this video not appropriate for all viewers.

Not alot...just a few f-bombs........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIdA4M3ZkE

Here is a picture of the red signal.

20120801_1939011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the stuff the T&E crew say over the radio (and picked up by the scanner) is pretty funny. Thanks for posting!

Sometimes the stuff the T&E crew say over the radio (and picked up by the scanner) is pretty funny. Thanks for posting!
Yeah well now you have the video to see how funny it actually is! Enjoy!

9:35 for the Tarzan noise

15:35 for the "I've been working on the railroad" song

16:45 for "This is America's High Speed Railroad!" LOL

17:25 for one of the crew playing "Eminence Front" by The Who

Funny bunch of guys

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to see a busy time at KIN, try the Sunday after Thanksgiving about 6 PM (I think). This is when they add extra trains using borrowed equipment to handle the crowds. I didn't make it there last year, so I'm not sure of it still happens. but a few years ago (and many before that), there were trains on both track 1 & 2 headed southbound - only 5 minutes apart!
cool.gif
Then as soon as the train on track 2 cleared the block and switched to track 1, a northbound Regional arrived on track 2!
smile.gif
And I think there may have been an AE passing thru also.

Thus at least 3 trains stopping within 10 minutes!
cool.gif

If you want to see a busy time at KIN, try the Sunday after Thanksgiving about 6 PM (I think). This is when they add extra trains using borrowed equipment to handle the crowds. I didn't make it there last year, so I'm not sure of it still happens. but a few years ago (and many before that), there were trains on both track 1 & 2 headed southbound - only 5 minutes apart!
cool.gif
Then as soon as the train on track 2 cleared the block and switched to track 1, a northbound Regional arrived on track 2!
smile.gif
And I think there may have been an AE passing thru also.

Thus at least 3 trains stopping within 10 minutes!
cool.gif
I'll be sure to check it out!

It would appear that the signals near KIN are not the standard Amtrak NEC Signals I've seen before. These appear to be

more like those on NJ Transit/NS tracks.
These signals are standard north of NHV.
Might that have something to do with the original "New Haven" Railroad? I recall that growing up as a kid.
Yes. The signals in the link are the color position signals that were used by the PRR. Ex-PRR territory is WAS to NYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back