Lower level coach seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmk

Train Attendant
Planning trip on Texas EAgle and was considering booking a lower level seat as this year it is the same price as upper.Last year it was a higher fare.On last years trip ther was much foot traffic all night as my coach was next to lounge and I was in the rear near the door.Every time the door opened there was much noise.My coach was a non refurbished sl1 and there was banging,from the buffer,I think. Also the track in southern Mo.is jointed and rough.Last year on the northbound all was quiet but southbound was noisy.NB the rear coach was empy when arriving Longview and we had a choice of seats and the kids moved to the next coach looking for plugs.(We were full after Little Rock).SB,no choice of seats got stuck by door..........On the lower level the door to the vestibule was stuck open and was packed with people sleeping everywhere(dont want that either).On previous trips I have alwas been in the coach baggage or the lower level was closed off (smoker or kiddie room).......Does the crew care if you sleep on the floor in the wheelchair space?I tire easily due to parkinsons and I need to be aat full speed when I get to Milwaukee.The $199 charge for a roomette is a little pricey for me but am considering it ......Is the lower level more comfortable?..........Thanks for any advice

Planning trip on Texas EAgle and was considering booking a lower level seat as this year it is the same price as upper.Last year it was a higher fare.
That's news to me; I don't think I've ever seen upper/lower price differences whenever I've looked.

Does the crew care if you sleep on the floor in the wheelchair space?
Assuming that there is no wheelchair there I would guess they won't mind.

I tire easily due to parkinsons and I need to be aat full speed when I get to Milwaukee.The $199 charge for a roomette is a little pricey for me but am considering it ......Is the lower level more comfortable?
If you consider less noise and less swaying to be more comfortable, then yes. I would however suggest you lay a blanket down instead of laying directly on the floor. After seeing some anomalous situations I've come to realize that those floors aren't all that clean. I'm not suggesting you hose everything down with Lysol, but a blanket or two between you and the floor certainly couldn't hurt.

I believe that lower level prices go higher when there are fewer available seats.

If you are in the lower level, you could be requested to move upstairs if mobility challenged passengers board and are unable to navigate the stairs.

Some TA's allow people to sleep on the floor, others do not. I wouldn't recommend it as it is not the cleanest place on the train.

As to comfort, upper and lower have the same seats and are equally comfortable.

We have taken the lower level coach seats several times and found it very quiet. Door blocks out noise of people going up and down the stairs. You are close to the restrooms. No traffic passing your seat from car to car. :)

Another Consideration re Downstairs Coach Seating is that the Area is Fairly Small compared to the Upstairs Seating and as a Result can be Louder, have More Smells and Odors of Various Types and if the Car is Hooked up "Backwards" You will be Riding Facing the Rear of the Train which Bothers Some People! Personally I'd rather Sleep in the SightSeer Lounge than lay on the Floor which can tend to Not be the Cleanest Place on the Train! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning trip on Texas EAgle and was considering booking a lower level seat as this year it is the same price as upper.Last year it was a higher fare.
That's news to me; I don't think I've ever seen upper/lower price differences whenever I've looked.
It's a fairly common occurance actually. I'm surprised that you haven't seen it happen before, especially since I know that you look at coach accomodations, as well as sleepers.

It's a fairly common occurance actually. I'm surprised that you haven't seen it happen before, especially since I know that you look at coach accomodations, as well as sleepers.
I rarely take the time to select lower seats as I presume they are intended for folks with disabilities and I'm able bodied. On those occasions that I have selected lower accommodations the pricing didn't change. Maybe I have to click to the next screen to see the change or maybe it's just not that common on SL/TE trains since those form the bulk of my trips.

I rarely take the time to select lower seats as I presume they are intended for folks with disabilities and I'm able bodied. On those occasions that I have selected lower accommodations the pricing didn't change. Maybe I have to click to the next screen to see the change or maybe it's just not that common on SL/TE trains since those form the bulk of my trips.
Just as an FYI, Amtrak holds a certain number of lower level seats out of the normal reservation process for those with disabilities. The remainder of the seats are then sold to anyone who wishes to book said seat. So you should have no worries about booking a LL seat should you wish to do so.

Ps. My original post wasn't intended to be critical, I was just surprised that as someone who often talks about coach seating and advocates for same that you hadn't ever seen a situation where they cost more.

Thanks for the advice.I decided to get a roomette and lower level on return.I need to be rested and cant sleep in the next day.This will be my first time in a sleeper.When there is a higher fare for lowere level....select lower level the usual fare shows as estimated and at check out the higher fare shows up.........That is what happened to me last year.This time the fare is the same,so Im going to try it.........Maybe I will get lucky an get a refurbished coach.........well I can wish for one :lol: :lol: :lol:

My experience is that the lower level gives a smoother ride due to being mid-car (less pitch motion) and lower (less roll motion).

On the other hand, you do hear a lot more noise from the tracks, that are well-muffled on upper level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back