LSL - how much will roomette cost if purchased onboard?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
(sorry... I looked at my reservation wrong... it should be the Lake Shore Limited segment. I'm connecting to the Maple Leave at BUF. not sure how to edit the title of the thread)

I booked a trip on the Lake Shore Limited. Unfortunate, roomettes are completely sold out for the date I wanted.

If there are still roomettes open when I board the train, will it be possible to purchase the upgrade? If so, how much do they cost?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check other dates and you'll get an idea for how much a roomette will cost. Prices can vary widely. Keep checking though as someone may cancel and you can book the roomette on the day you want. If you wait until boarding you probably won't be able to upgrade or it'll be at the one of the higher rates.

There is no on-board day of discount, so you will be paying full price if you do

There is no on-board day of discount, so you will be paying full price if you do
Correct. The onboard discounts are no longer available. You pay whatever the price is. In which case it's easier to call the 1-800 number to upgrade.

If you can be flexible with your dates I can suggest that for sure. Or keep an eye out for cancellations.

You can call Amtrak and get on the waiting list for a Roomette.Also you can keep checking on amsnag ( developed by our own Paul M.) for prices and availability.

Be aware that there are two Stations in Buffalo,Depew, out by the Airport where the Lake Shore Stops, and the downtown Exchange Street Station where the Maple Leaf stops( of course it also calls @ Depew)

Buffalo is a fascinating City and since you have a long layover, I suggest that you catch the City Bus ( it's a Long Ride but Cheap) or a cab or Lyft or Uber, store your bags with the friendly agent @ Exchange Street( it was Free when I did it), visit the must see City Hall and other beautiful old buildings, have lunch ( the Anchor Bar invented Buffalo Wings and Beef on Wek is a great Sandwich) and then catch the Maple Leaf in the afternoon.

Business Class on the Maple Leaf is in the Cafe Car, has the great 2x1 seating, is a real bargain ( you'll get two tickets, one for Amtrak to the border, and a VIA ticket to Toronto from Niagara Falls, ON) and BC passengers get priority on clearing Canadian C&I @ the VIA Station on the Canadian Side of Niagara Falls.

An interesting fact is that even though the Maple Leaf uses Amtrak Equipment, the crew changes out to VIA employees when you stop for Border Check, including all the items sold in the Cafe Car! ( they even have Coke and Canadian Beer!)

Be aware that there are two Stations in Buffalo,Depew, out by the Airport where the Lake Shore Stops, and the downtown Exchange Street Station where the Maple Leaf stops( of course it also calls @ Depew)
Oh no.... I'm confused. My Amtrak reservation shows the Lake Shore Limited

arriving into "BUFFALO-DEPEW" at 8:46AM. My connecting trains, Maple Leaf,

departs "BUFFALO-DEPEW" at 12:59PM. Are you saying they are actually

two different stations? Will they transfer my checked bags from one station to

the other?

But the Amtrak websites shows only one Buffalo Amtrak Station, located near

the airport and served by three trains

Lake Shore Limited Empire Service Maple Leaf

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=BUF

Oh no.... I'm confused. My Amtrak reservation shows the Lake Shore Limited

arriving into "BUFFALO-DEPEW" at 8:46AM. My connecting trains, Maple Leaf,

departs "BUFFALO-DEPEW" at 12:59PM. Are you saying they are actually

two different stations? Will they transfer my checked bags from one station to

the other?

But the Amtrak websites shows only one Buffalo Amtrak Station, located near

the airport and served by three trains

Lake Shore Limited Empire Service Maple Leaf

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=BUF
i think you're fine. He said the Maple Leaf also stops at Dupew

Now I'm confused too:the West ( North) Bound Maple Leaf #63 leaves Depew Station @ 301pm, Exchange Street Station @ 314pm.

The East Bound Maple Leaf #64 leaves Exchange Street Station @ 105pm, Depew Station @ 119pm.

Which Train are you catching? And if it's the Eastbound #64, why would you get off the Lake Shore, they both go to Albany and New York with the Lake Shore arriving earlier?????

If changing to the West Bound #63, you can hang around the less than pleasant Depew Station waiting on the Maple Leaf, but there is absolutely nothing to do there or close to this rural/suburban stationexcept the Airport.

It's much more pleasant to spend the layover in downtown Buffalo seeing the great old buildings and having a decent lunch.

The Exchange Street Station is small and not worth hanging out in, but it's close to everything downtown so you can just return after lunch and sightseeing, say 30 minutes before the Maple Leaf arrival, to retrieve your bags and catch the train.

As for checked bags, you can't check bags on the Maple Leaf to cross the Border, you'll need to carry them on and take them off when you go through Canadian C&I in Niagara Falls, ON.

That's why I said you can leave your bags with the friendly Agent @ the Exchange St.Station while you eat and Sightsee in downtown Buffalo.

Now I'm confused too:the West ( North) Bound Maple Leaf #63 leaves Depew Station @ 301pm, Exchange Street Station @ 314pm.

The East Bound Maple Leaf #64 leaves Exchange Street Station @ 105pm, Depew Station @ 119pm.

Which Train are you catching? And if it's the Eastbound #64, why would you get off the Lake Shore, they both go to Albany and New York with the Lake Shore arriving earlier?????
Because the eastbound Lake Shore Limited doesn't stop in the Netherlands. :)

If you only have an about 4 hour connection, I personally would not try to go downtown and sightsee. The Depew station is near the Buffalo airport, and there are many places to eat around there. Also, on the same road as the station (a few miles down) is a major mall. (It's been many years since I've been there, so I'm not even sure if it's still there.)

I would get off the LSL and get on the ML both at Depew.

Also it is the acronym for the American Meteorological Society and the American Mathematical Society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back