Lunch at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Next Wednesday I'll have a two-hour layover at NYP. Where should I go for lunch. I'd prefer to have a dozen oysters at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, but I imagine I don't have enough time to check luggage, checkout the NYP Club Acela, and still hustle over to Grand Central Terminal. Any closer recommendations?

One of my favorites right by the Tic Tock is another diner, the Stage Door Diner which is located at 461 8th Ave

(between 33rd St & 34th St)

I usually head over to 33rd and 7th (right across from Madison Square Garden) and have me some street corner hot dogs. To me, that's New York right there...two dogs, a pretzel and a can of soda. Of course, not everyone feels the same way.

If you're in an oyster mood, if you follow signs for the LIRR concourse and the 1-2-3 subway trains, there's a place called Tracks just to the left of the LIRR ticket windows--a bar with a wide selection of oysters. Not as fancy as the Oyster Bar at Grand Central, but excellent food, very friendly staff, and train-themed decor. There's a dining room in the way back if you'd rather not go to the bar (which gets crowded at rush hour). I've waited there until closing (1 am?) the handful of times I've taken 67 southbound.

At the corner of 7th Ave and 36th Street is Alpine Gourmet Deli. They make the second best sandwiches in the world (second only to a whiz with at Geno's in South Philly). Great food, reasonable prices, close to Penn. Only caveat, cash only.

I usually head over to 33rd and 7th (right across from Madison Square Garden) and have me some street corner hot dogs. To me, that's New York right there...two dogs, a pretzel and a can of soda. Of course, not everyone feels the same way.

I have done this a time or two. IF I remember correctly, there are even a couple of benches in the general area.

My absolute favourite place to eat in Penn is probably the cheapest place for several blocks, Papaya down on the LIRR concourse. Its greasy, but delicious, and cheap. Fresh grilled food, and if it costs you more then $10 a person, you are too big an eater.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm pushing for pizza or Papaya, but Mrs. Ispolkom insists that on the rare occasions we're near the sea and the month has an R in it, we should be eating oysters. We'll see how crowded things are.

If you want traditional NY-style thin-slice pizza, NY Pizza Suprema is located on 8th Ave. right behind Penn Station. I've lived in this area my whole life and they know how to make a classic NY pizza. My son prefers the white pizza there.

For a bonus, you may even spot some traditional NY wiseguys hanging out in their designer tracksuits. It's like you're watching an episode of "The Sopranos" unfold!

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm pushing for pizza or Papaya, but Mrs. Ispolkom insists that on the rare occasions we're near the sea and the month has an R in it, we should be eating oysters. We'll see how crowded things are.
Eight months have R in it...Not that rare. :lol: Being by the sea is another story.

I didn't know there were any Ray's, Famous Ray's or Original Ray's near Penn Station. The one I have been to is close to times square. I think Ray's was on one side of the street and Famous Ray's on the other, broadway maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back