Lunch on LSL 449 out of Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is served for lunch on the LSL #449 out of Boston for sleeper passengers
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited, PRR4501! Looks like you've managed to stump two of this forum's most prolific posters.

However, you can find a very specific answer to your question on the Amtrak website, where they have detailed

route information. Here's the link for the LSL, and you'll notice on the right that they have PDF links of the actual

menus on train #449.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245664423

Why are there no prices on trhe 449 munus? Are they served exclusively to Sleeper passengers?
That's correct that menu is for Sleepers only. But I thought it was the kind of thing where passengers could choose items from the cafe menu and get it free of charge.. IIRC that's what they did with the Three Rivers in it's cafe car days when it had a sleeper..

Why are there no prices on trhe 449 munus? Are they served exclusively to Sleeper passengers?
That's correct that menu is for Sleepers only. But I thought it was the kind of thing where passengers could choose items from the cafe menu and get it free of charge.. IIRC that's what they did with the Three Rivers in it's cafe car days when it had a sleeper..
If none of the offerings from the "sleeper" menu suit you, any item from the cafe menu may be ordered. Either way, it's included in your sleeper fare.

Another interesting aspect to this meal is that it is usually served by your sleeper car attendant since there is no formal diner on the Boston section between BOS and ALB. They clear out the lounge/cafe car of coach passengers for the time they serve sleeper passengers there. Same thing happens for supper meal going eastbound between ALB and BOS.

Yes, you can order from the cafe menu if the bill of fare doesn't work for you.

When I rode this train just over a year ago westbound, there were two offerings for lunch: a sandwich and a sald plate. I had the latter, which was pretty good. I really enjoyed the ride across western Massachusetts.

IIRC that's what they did with the Three Rivers in it's cafe car days when it had a sleeper..
That is indeed what happened on the 3R's, you just went to the cafe car, showed your ticket stub and picked from the standard cafe menu.

I rode the LSL from Springfield, MA to Chicago, IL a couple of weeks ago in a roomette. It was my first time in a roomette so I wanted to know how indicative my experience was.

When I boarded at SPG, I was told to walk through coach until I found my own roomette. No one showed me how to use the bunk bed, shower, etc. It took me a fair while to figure out how to pull the bunk bed up and down. I didn't realize there was a pullout table until 30 minutes before I arrived, but oh well. I boarded around 2:15, which I thought was still lunch time. I walked to the cafe car, but the worker refused to serve me since the other sleeper passengers had already eaten. The sleeper car attendant eventually brought a cheese sandwich to me in my room. I don't know if I was meant to have a choice, or if it was meant to come with salad, dessert, etc. Personally I'd have preferred to order a burger from the cafe car instead of a cold cheese sandwich. Dinner just past Albany was good, though no one explained what was included. I hadn't realized that wine was extra until I was charged for it at the end of the meal (an attendant later showed me on the menu where it said wine wasn't included, but initially I had assumed that since every item on the menu had a price, every menu item was free for sleeper car passengers, and neither the waiter or sleeper car attendant ever mentioned wine being extra). I will say that the steak was really good.

Overall, I thought the service was good at times, but was lacking in general. I guess I expected more since it was my first time in any sort of sleeper car. Is that experience indicative?

You should contact Amtrak regarding your experience, as you should have received better treatment.

Sleeping car attendants should greet passengers when the board, and explain the functions of the room and the amenities of the train. It is also the attendant's job to set your bed up at night (you can do it yourself if you know how, but it is part of the attendant's job). It's often (but not always) explained that alcohol is not included in the complimentary meal for sleeper passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back