Main Hurricane Discussion Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone for all the info and pictures of what is going on. I think, inspite of the flooding and damage, that the northeast really dodged the bullet on this one. The worst flooding Houston every had was from only a tropical storm, Allison in 2001, which dropped over three feet of rain on downtown Houston. Keep the info and pictures coming. Very interesting.

Not looking good for Amtrak NEC monday..there is about 1-2 feet of water covering the tracks at TRE...we rode past and they just showed it on TV..the water is covering the wheels and a little of the bottoms of several SEPTA trains that are in/near the station...
Tried to book trains on the Amtrak website, there are no trains available on Monday from WAS to NYP. However, trains can be booked for Tuesday. Looks like the NEC will be shut down tomorrow while Amtrak does repairs and checks the tracks with service planned to restart early Tuesday morning - if there is no major damage.

MNRR has no power on New Haven line due to power outage in Connecticut.

SEPTA trains that were parked at Barracks Yard in Trenton have their motors shorted out by water. NJT had managed to move all it's trains to Morrisville Yard.

NJT also managed to move all trains out of Bay Head and Hillburn yards which were both flooded.

On the M&E the story has been one dozens of fallen trees. There has not been even a single X move on it today. Several MoW vehicles have been running up and down removing trees and fixing catenary.

To give you an idea of the general devastation, I went out for a spin after 6pm, and discovered that short of getting on a highway, I could not get any further than two miles from my home without finding the road blocked. There is at present a single ramp to a highway open from this area. Hopefully things will be a bit better tomorrow morning.

MNRR has no power on New Haven line due to power outage in Connecticut.

SEPTA trains that were parked at Barracks Yard in Trenton have their motors shorted out by water. NJT had managed to move all it's trains to Morrisville Yard.

NJT also managed to move all trains out of Bay Head and Hillburn yards which were both flooded.

On the M&E the story has been one dozens of fallen trees. There has not been even a single X move on it today. Several MoW vehicles have been running up and down removing trees and fixing catenary.

To give you an idea of the general devastation, I went out for a spin after 6pm, and discovered that short of getting on a highway, I could not get any further than two miles from my home without finding the road blocked. There is at present a single ramp to a highway open from this area. Hopefully things will be a bit better tomorrow morning.
Per the governor, NJTRO will be shut down tommorow with the exception of the Atlantic City Line. Hudson-Bergen/River Line will be on weekend schedule. Buses on modified weekday schedule. No mention of NLR.

Amtrak did post updates on their FB and Twitter pages...pretty much everything from PHL to BOS is cancelled tomorrow including the LSL, Auto trains, Silver service,etc etc......

yikes.....

https://www.facebook...150271660301127

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic but NYC subways will resume running, less frequent service for all lines, but service will resume, Monday morning from 6.

It looks like Grand Central is sealed up dark and tight Sunday evening and will reopen Monday morning, even though there will be no Metro-North for the foreseeable future. Station security wouldn't even let a WNBC reporter in to get some B-Roll for the Sunday 11.

We just lost power in two of the three phases about two hours back. No estimate on when they will get around to fixing. Apparently a big area is involved. Most traffic lights are out around here too. I still have power in one phase, roughly speaking in One room to play around with.
I just spoke with Shanghai (on his cell phone). He lives a few miles from Jis and has had no power or land line phone since about 4am. He and his family are ok even though a tree hit his house. He was told it might take up to 5 days to get his power restored.
I'm back again!! Power came back at 11:30pm last night. Now, to get those trees off my house!!

We just lost power in two of the three phases about two hours back. No estimate on when they will get around to fixing. Apparently a big area is involved. Most traffic lights are out around here too. I still have power in one phase, roughly speaking in One room to play around with.
I just spoke with Shanghai (on his cell phone). He lives a few miles from Jis and has had no power or land line phone since about 4am. He and his family are ok even though a tree hit his house. He was told it might take up to 5 days to get his power restored.
I'm back again!! Power came back at 11:30pm last night. Now, to get those trees off my house!!
Hope the damage is not too bad. :help:

Good for you! We still have only partial power, and a trickle for water supply with a stricture to boil water before using in any food preparation or drinking.

I went out for a spin last evening and was amazed at how difficult it was to go anywhere, with most roads blocked at various places with fallen trees or flooding. Didn't make it more than two miles from home in any direction, and finally turned back.

BTW, not a single train, not even an X move, has gone by on the Morris and Essex main line by here between Short Hills and Summit yet. The last train that went by here was before the storm related shutdown on Saturday. I wonder when they will start testing and moving equipment into position for service commencement, which possibly will be tomorrow.

And here's Princeton Jct....

doc4e5a701aa1f80986077738.jpg

Also there are several washouts reported between South Amboy and Hazlet on the NJCL, the biggest one being just south of Matawan station.

Amtrak posted an updated service alert late this morning that Keystone service between Philly and Harrisburg will start this afternoon and that they are extending some Regionals down to Richmond. So the Keystone East and WAS to Richmond corridors are open for business.

"Amtrak Keystone Service will resume on Monday, Aug. 29 with Train 647 (3:45 p.m. departure from Philadelphia) and Train 652 (3:20 departure from Harrisburg). In addition, Northeast Regional Train 95 (noon departure from Philadelphia) and Train 83 (3:30 p.m. departure from Philadelphia) will operate from Philadelphia to Richmond."

I also see that the Downeaster is back in service this afternoon.

And here's Princeton Jct....

doc4e5a701aa1f80986077738.jpg

Also there are several washouts reported between South Amboy and Hazlet on the NJCL, the biggest one being just south of Matawan station.
Wow, that's impressive! If someone has a before picture (or an after-it's-dried-out-picture) that would be a neat comparison.

Good for you! We still have only partial power, and a trickle for water supply with a stricture to boil water before using in any food preparation or drinking.

I went out for a spin last evening and was amazed at how difficult it was to go anywhere, with most roads blocked at various places with fallen trees or flooding. Didn't make it more than two miles from home in any direction, and finally turned back.

BTW, not a single train, not even an X move, has gone by on the Morris and Essex main line by here between Short Hills and Summit yet. The last train that went by here was before the storm related shutdown on Saturday. I wonder when they will start testing and moving equipment into position for service commencement, which possibly will be tomorrow.
I drove into town today to get some fresh milk and bread. It is 2 1/2 miles on a main street and I had three detours

before I got to the food store. Mostly trees blocking the street or one lane. It was strange to pass by the train

station (NJT Morris & Essex main) with not one car in the parking lot!!

Wow! :eek: BIG News!!! :eek: :eek: Per the "Service Alert" issued today - Monday 8/29/11 - The Maple Leaf is now running WAS - TWO!!! :) That is great NEWS!!! :) :( :eek: :lol: :p :D -_- :huh:

On a much more somber note, looks like Vermont really got slammed with 7+ inches of rain. Hope all the work that has been done has not been undone.

Amtrak posted an updated service alert late this morning that Keystone service between Philly and Harrisburg will start this afternoon and that they are extending some Regionals down to Richmond. So the Keystone East and WAS to Richmond corridors are open for business.

"Amtrak Keystone Service will resume on Monday, Aug. 29 with Train 647 (3:45 p.m. departure from Philadelphia) and Train 652 (3:20 departure from Harrisburg). In addition, Northeast Regional Train 95 (noon departure from Philadelphia) and Train 83 (3:30 p.m. departure from Philadelphia) will operate from Philadelphia to Richmond."

I also see that the Downeaster is back in service this afternoon.
Points runs!! :lol: Not really. Could you imagine trying to do a points run on a day like this! :unsure: Just to clarify it's train 93 that goes to RVR. 83 is Friday only and goes to NPN.

Wow! :eek: BIG News!!! :eek: :eek: Per the "Service Alert" issued today - Monday 8/29/11 - The Maple Leaf is now running WAS - TWO!!! :) That is great NEWS!!! :) :( :eek: :lol: :p :D -_- :huh:

On a much more somber note, looks like Vermont really got slammed with 7+ inches of rain. Hope all the work that has been done has not been undone.
Here it is. He's not kidding!
Though I'm not as up on the trains as you guys, I did see that and wondered if it was a mistype...or if there's a Washington station in NY?

Here it is. He's not kidding!
Though I'm not as up on the trains as you guys, I did see that and wondered if it was a mistype...or if there's a Washington station in NY?
Someone just screwed things up, the train normally operates Toronto to NY, not Washington. And for the moment, it only operates to Nigara Falls from Toronto.

Amtrak just Tweeted that they will restore Acela service to Boston to DC starting tomorrow morning.

Metro North has reopened the New Haven, although they are running on a Sunday schedule today. But I think that has as much to do with lack of crews & riders as it does to do with them trying to finish picking up the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back