Main Hurricane Discussion Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I am hearing that some train consists may be stored on main line trackage on the NEC away from harm's way since some of the major yards can potentially flood if a storm surge of 8' actually materializes.

NJT is going to store stuff that would normally be at Bay Head Yard possibly on the NJCL track between Woodbridge and Rahway, is what is being mentioned by NJT folks on RR.net.

NJT rail, LIRR, MNRR, NYCS, NYCB has completed its shutdown, all revenue service trips have ended.

SEPTA begins to pull off the NEC with its last trains:

Wilmington/Newark train #221 departs Suburban Station at 3:34 p.m.

Airport train #3445 departs Suburban Station at 4 p.m.

Trenton train #9724 departs Trenton at 4:01 p.m.

Paoli/Thorndale train #1545 departs Suburban Station at 4:15 p.m.

Chestnut Hill West train #839 departs Suburban Station at 4:20 p.m.

Chestnut Hill West train #846 departs Chestnut Hill West at 4:23 p.m.

Paoli/Thorndale train #562 departs Malvern at at 4:30 p.m.

Wilmington/Newark train #222 departs Wilmington at 4:36 p.m.

Airport train #446 departs airport at 4:39 p.m.

Trenton train #9723 departs Suburban Station at 4:45 p.m.

Note that a set will be stuck in Trenton.

If service is suspended on the NEC does this mean Amtrak will take six years to restore service as in the Sunset east? If Sunyside is affected doesn't this also suspend all trains to Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Atlanta as well as the Florida trains? If all those trains are suspended, Amtrak could even turn a profit this year.
Smoked some strong stuff last night eh? :giggle:
As it turned out, it wasn't all that strong was it. I just looked at the Amtrak Status Maps and everything east of the Mississippi is gone.

If service is suspended on the NEC does this mean Amtrak will take six years to restore service as in the Sunset east? If Sunyside is affected doesn't this also suspend all trains to Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Atlanta as well as the Florida trains? If all those trains are suspended, Amtrak could even turn a profit this year.
Smoked some strong stuff last night eh? :giggle:
As it turned out, it wasn't all that strong was it. I just looked at the Amtrak Status Maps and everything east of the Mississippi is gone.

Yep, all trains east of Indianapolis and Toledo and north of Jacksonville are cancelled through tomorrow. This as of 8:30 PM EDT per Amtrak's website.

The worst seems to be over here in the DC region, but high winds are still forecast for this afternoon, as the beast exits the Mid-Atlantic. So far I still have power, unlike 500,000 of my neighbors, and no downed trees.

Metro seems to have done what it set out to do yesterday, and ran on all lines until the scheduled closing at 3:00AM. I do wonder in the wisdom of this decision, as people were told to stay home after nightfall, and there certainly could not have been many riders.

Metro seems to have done what it set out to do yesterday, and ran on all lines until the scheduled closing at 3:00AM. I do wonder in the wisdom of this decision, as people were told to stay home after nightfall, and there certainly could not have been many riders.
I wish Metro would instead run full day services on weekends. That would be damn site more useful IMHO. :)

Looks like that in New York, most fortunately the subway flooding that was feared may possibly not happen. However, Holland Tunnel is now closed due to flooding, so things got pretty close. Belt Parkway is flooded out in Brooklyn and is closed. They say that the worst of the surge will be over around 10am. Surge height was generally less than 5' which is not quite as high as was expected and is not high enough to substantially top the protection dam at the south end of Manhattan.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are under heavy sustained winds of about 40 mph right now in my area with gusts of up to 60-70 mph. Lots of downed trees in my neighborhood and over 80,000 folks without power in RI. Luckily I still have it but who knows for how long as we have some large trees near the power lines by my house.

Pictures courtesy of MTA....

Metro North Hudson/Amtrak's Empire Corridor flooded out at Ossining....

6088516951_90ff49a5ac_z.jpg

6089062244_afa24b7cc5_z.jpg

And here is Ossining station:

6089184512_9949d50756_z.jpg

Picture courtesy of MTA....

Metro North Harlem Line at Valhalla:

6088701981_e464f7693c.jpg

An MTA spokesperson was on WCBS explaining how much flooding is there all over the subway system. They cleared out four yards and most of them did flood. So now they have to clear those yards to get trains off of the main lines where they are stored and then complete inspections to re-start the system.

An MTA spokesperson was on WCBS explaining how much flooding is there all over the subway system. They cleared out four yards and most of them did flood. So now they have to clear those yards to get trains off of the main lines where they are stored and then complete inspections to re-start the system.
Thanks for the update jis. Did you suffer any damage?

I'll echo PennyK and say "thanks" for all the information you've been posting on this thread.

From the pics, sure looks like there are some big problems to deal with before MTA gets totally back to normal.

Fortunately I can be a bystander this next week, as it sure looks like it is going to be an 'interesting' one for rail transportation here in the East.

Thanks for the update jis. Did you suffer any damage?
I'll echo PennyK and say "thanks" for all the information you've been posting on this thread.
You're most welcome. No damage here. I am far away from any flood zones and far inland and away from the path of the eye. And no trees toppled over around here though many lost a limb or two. Nothing major. We did not lose power or FIOS so that was good too.

We just saw some blue sky and the Sun peeking out! :)

Photo courtesy of MNRR.....

Mudslide blocking 2 of 4 MNRR Hudson Line tracks near Spuyten Duyvil:
Pretty safe to say that it will be several days before Amtrak and Metro-North service resumes over the Hudson line.

Wonder when we will get reports on the state of the NEC?

We just lost power in two of the three phases about two hours back. No estimate on when they will get around to fixing. Apparently a big area is involved. Most traffic lights are out around here too. I still have power in one phase, roughly speaking in One room to play around with.

Florida and Carolina trains are cancelled from New York tomorrow. On Amtrak's Facebook page someone said the water is up to the platform in Trenton, which leads me to believe NEC service will be out tomorrow.

We just lost power in two of the three phases about two hours back. No estimate on when they will get around to fixing. Apparently a big area is involved. Most traffic lights are out around here too. I still have power in one phase, roughly speaking in One room to play around with.
I just spoke with Shanghai (on his cell phone). He lives a few miles from Jis and has had no power or land line phone since about 4am. He and his family are ok even though a tree hit his house. He was told it might take up to 5 days to get his power restored.

Not looking good for Amtrak NEC monday..there is about 1-2 feet of water covering the tracks at TRE...we rode past and they just showed it on TV..the water is covering the wheels and a little of the bottoms of several SEPTA trains that are in/near the station...

<br />Florida and Carolina trains are cancelled from New York tomorrow. On Amtrak's Facebook page someone said the water is up to the platform in Trenton, which leads me to believe NEC service will be out tomorrow.<br />
<br /><br /><br />
it is...we rode by and there's a LOT of water....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back