Making two separate reservations; Quick-track pick-up question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerichowhiskey

Service Attendant
Hi everyone. I plan on taking my first ride on Amtrak to attend a D.C. United game and to explore the capital beforehand on the 29th. The game ends around 10:30PM and my main plan is to get back to Union Station for the 3AM train back to NY, but that's quite a wait. My group is in the planning stages of reserving a bus or a van to go straight to RFK and back, so my intention is to just take the bus back home. But just in case it doesn't happen, I still want to buy a return ticket on Amtrak back to NYP.

Should I order both tickets together or should I separate them if I need to get a refund of the return trip? Also if I do reserve them separately, would I have to pick up the return ticket at Union Station or can I pick up both at New York Penn?

Thanks,

Jason

You can print out your tickets at any QT machine does not matter just scan both barcodes or swipe the credit card used to make the reservation and all tickets on that card will come up and choose the ones to print.

As of Monday you can now print your tickets at home or have them on your smartphone! eTickets were rolled out systemwide. You can still pick up at the station if you wish. Depending on how many of you are going you might be able to get a group reservation. I believe they start at 15? passengers. You can reserve 8 seats at a time. If you have 8 or less then book at once. 8 or more see if you can get a group discount.

My suggestion is unless you are on a tight budget or need to be back in New York by 9AM stay at a hotel in DC. That way you don't have to worry about uncomfortable rest at Union Station. Just my 2 cents.

You can print out your tickets at any QT machine does not matter just scan both barcodes or swipe the credit card used to make the reservation and all tickets on that card will come up and choose the ones to print.
Cool, that's good to know.

As of Monday you can now print your tickets at home or have them on your smartphone! eTickets were rolled out systemwide. You can still pick up at the station if you wish. Depending on how many of you are going you might be able to get a group reservation. I believe they start at 15? passengers. You can reserve 8 seats at a time. If you have 8 or less then book at once. 8 or more see if you can get a group discount.

My suggestion is unless you are on a tight budget or need to be back in New York by 9AM stay at a hotel in DC. That way you don't have to worry about uncomfortable rest at Union Station. Just my 2 cents.
Ack, I don't want my first ticket on Amtrak to be my own 8x11 paper.
smile.gif

My friends are going straight to RFK and back, but I want to explore DC so I'll be coming in earlier than them. It's the going back part that is in question and why I'm wondering if I can get a refund on the return ticket of the round-trip reservation.

My original plan if the bus doesn't work out, is to walk around the National Mall a bit longer and take a look around Union Station, so it shouldn't be too bad waiting for the 3AM train back.

Book as two separate reservations, that way it's simple to cancel your return trip if necessary.

Book as two separate reservations, that way it's simple to cancel your return trip if necessary.
Thank you, I will do that then.
Thanks for all the responses.
With etickets, that doesn't matter anymore.
Even on the website? Will it allow one to cancel only part of an itinerary that you booked online? That is what I was thinking, that if you could just cancel one reservation online it would be easier than having to call and wait on hold.

Actually, the web part, I don't know. That's a good point. I was thinking more along the lines of previously needing to print out all tickets for the itinerary at once, and then being subject to the cancellation fee for the return trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back