Maple Leaf advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Train Attendant
Am hoping to take the Maple Leaf NYC to Toronto on Sept 15. Rather curiously Business Class seems to be sold out as far as the border but free thereafter...

Any advice re this - will business class availability free up or should I just book? And am I right in thinking I should get a red cap to take down my luggage to secure a good seat if in coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea whether business class will free up, but I suggest a red cap.

When I took the Maple Leaf to Toronto several years ago, business class seemed to clear out at Albany.

Technically when the Maple Leaf becomes a VIA Train @ the VIA Station in Niagara Falls, ON, there is No Business Class to Toronto since VIAs Biz Class is only on the Corridor Trains between Windsor and Quebec City!(its similar to FC on Acelas on the NEC)

Canadian Customs and Immigration is done inside the VIA Station, Biz Class is done first, ( you'll have to give Amtrak your ID Info when you book whether Passport or enhanced DL) and the Crews change from Amtrak to VIA including even the Cafe food and drink sold in the Cafe/ /Biz Class Car!

You will have two tickets on this Route, an Amtrak ticket from NYP to the Canadian Border and a VIA ticket from the VIA Station to Toronto! The Biz Class/ Cafe Car has the nice 2x1 Metro Liner Seats and of course you pay the Upgrade fee for BC to Amtrak! Definitely worth it!!!

Here's the interesting point, VIA only charges $1 more (plus Coach Fare)to stay in the Biz Class Car from the Border to Toronto! Lots of folks get off @ the New York stops and the two Niagara Falls stops, hence seats opening up in the Cafe/Biz Class! I've booked to Toronto in Biz Class from Albany, Utica,Syracuse, Rochester and even Buffalo!

I'm honestly not sure if you can purchase an upgrade to the cafe/ biz class car in Canada, you need to ask the Amtrak Agent ( you can't book this online) when you call to book!

The Redcap @ NYP AND Toronto is a great idea to beat the crush when boarding and get a good seat whether Coach or Biz Class! (Coaches are Amfleet IIs)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, my trip is tomorrow. How does the red cap service work? I just grab one and ask him to take my bag down for me? And do I go with them or do they take my bag ahead of me and put it on a seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back