Maple Leaf

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
I will be traveling on the Maple Leaf soon from New York City to Toronto. What is the baggage policy on the train since it is both an Amtrak and a VIA Rail train?

I am planning on bringing two bags with me, one is small enough to be used as a carry-on on the Canadian. The other is slightly larger and is within the limits of Amtrak's carry-on policy in the United States but slightly large for VIA's policy. I was planning on checking the larger bag for my trip aboard the Canadian. I was wondering about mainly the larger bag because there is no checked baggage aboard the Maple Leaf.

When I was on the Maple Leaf a couple of weeks ago, there was a woman with 2 gigantic bags going to Toronto. I assume that she had no problem other than she had to manage to get the bags off the train and back on at Niagara Falls, ON. She had a slight problem with customs because her English skills were not too great and did not fill out the declaration form correctly. She was forced to empty both suitcases by customs officials because she could not tell them the value of the gifts she received from her sister in the States that she was bringing into Canada. She was a Canadian whose first language was neither English or French. There was enough space to store the luggage on the Maple Leaf.

I did not check any luggage when traveling on the Canadian. I had enough space in my room for my small roller suitcase and large tote bag. I was traveling alone in a room for 2.

If I recall, the Maple Leaf does not have checked baggage, so you are on your own with carry on baggage. This isn't what you asked, but if you are travelling alone on the Canadian, this is what happened with me. Usually, I never check baggage on a train if by myself, putting my baggage on the upper bunk on Amtrak trains. HOwever, if you are alone and have a " cabin for one " in other words, a roommette for one, the baggage situation can be tricky. When I checked in at Vancouver, the agent saw that I had a roller bag, which contains my breathing machine and laptop and accessories, and a large backpack. He said the backpack was not going to fit, and he was correct, as it would have been a mess had I taken that into the room. He gave me a small VIA tote bag for a change of clothes and other items and the backpack went to the baggage car, and it all worked out fine.

The VIA employees accept any carry-on bags they find already aboard. If you are OK with Amtrak leaving your origin point, you won't have any trouble with VIA.

I will be traveling on the Maple Leaf soon from New York City to Toronto. What is the baggage policy on the train since it is both an Amtrak and a VIA Rail train?

I am planning on bringing two bags with me, one is small enough to be used as a carry-on on the Canadian. The other is slightly larger and is within the limits of Amtrak's carry-on policy in the United States but slightly large for VIA's policy. I was planning on checking the larger bag for my trip aboard the Canadian. I was wondering about mainly the larger bag because there is no checked baggage aboard the Maple Leaf.

Hmm, I have to wonder then what the VIA policy is heading the other direction. Two near-limit carry-on bags plus a personal item times two are what me and my wife will be bringing along in February; the Maple Leaf is the only non-baggage service train we're traveling on as we transit from Halifax to Sacramento through Toronto/Buffalo.

We're in the Business Class section, but I have no idea what the luggage rack situation is there aside from the over-the-seat bins.

The Club-Dinette car has plenty of overhead storage and a floor rack at one end. You should have no problems, especially if you carry-on your stuff and don't ask for help. I think that VIA also relaxes things a big with this train, since it's really Amtrak's train.

The Club-Dinette car has plenty of overhead storage and a floor rack at one end. You should have no problems, especially if you carry-on your stuff and don't ask for help. I think that VIA also relaxes things a big with this train, since it's really Amtrak's train.
Is VIA more strict than Amtrak regarding baggage?

Is VIA more strict than Amtrak regarding baggage?
Yes.
Much more IMO. I had a bag that was 1 pound over 50 and they were going to charge me I THINK, I'm NOT sure, charge me $75 Canadian.. Luckily there was a problem with our file as our travel agent screwed up.. And the lead agent who was working with us who was ironically 30 feet away said wave the fee due to the problem of the fee.. But they we're puzzled when my Dad said "I'll pay the fee for that one pound".. I told them I would take stuff out. But it was all figured out in the end!

Morel of the story for VIA Rail if your bag is over 50 LBS, pay a hefty fee! :blink:

Much more IMO. I had a bag that was 1 pound over 50 and they were going to charge me I THINK, I'm NOT sure, charge me $75 Canadian.. Luckily there was a problem with our file as our travel agent screwed up.. And the lead agent who was working with us who was ironically 30 feet away said wave the fee due to the problem of the fee.. But they we're puzzled when my Dad said "I'll pay the fee for that one pound".. I told them I would take stuff out. But it was all figured out in the end!

Morel of the story for VIA Rail if your bag is over 50 LBS, pay a hefty fee! :blink:
The fee would have been $20.......not really hefty for a hefty bag!.......and my experience on VIA......very loosely enforced.

Why not just go to the VIA web page for all the info you need:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/baggage/checked-baggage

The fee would have been $20.......not really hefty for a hefty bag!.......and my experience on VIA......very loosely enforced.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/baggage/checked-baggage
It was way higher then $20. It was either $50 or $75. No way $20. I remember simply because it was so high.

http://www.viarail.c...checked-baggage
It was way higher then $20. It was either $50 or $75. No way $20. I remember simply because it was so high.
Then it wasn't an overweight surcharge......I quote from the above VIA site:

"There is also a surcharge of $20 for any piece of baggage weighing between 23 kg and 32 kg (50 lb. and 70 lb.), or measuring between 120 cm and 180 cm (4 ft. and 6 ft.)".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back