Maricopa to Phoenix Transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I am considering a trip on the CS to LAX connecting the next day with the Sunset Limited to Maricopa. Phoenix would be my final destination. It does not appear that there are Thruway connections to Phoenix. The SL gets in at 10:17 PM. What are the transportation options from the train station to Phoenix at that time of night? If it is a major logistical hassle the trip does not make sense for me.

You'll have two more options to research- Tucson station. Other option would be Southwest Chief, getting off at Flagstaff and riding an Ambus to Phoenix.

Maricopa station is the laughing stock on this AU forums.

You'll have two more options to research- Tucson station. Other option would be Southwest Chief, getting off at Flagstaff and riding an Ambus to Phoenix.
An Ambus from the SWC in Flagstaff sounds like an idea. It does not sound like I want to deal with Maricopa.

This works (hypothetical schedule):

4 Southwest Chief

Los Angeles, CA

- Union Station

(LAX)

6:45 pm

16-SEP-09 Flagstaff, AZ

(FLG)

5:06 am

17-SEP-09 10h 21m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage, Onboard wheelchair ramp 1 Reserved Coach Seat

8563 Bus

Flagstaff, AZ

(FLG)

7:30 am

17-SEP-09 Phoenix, AZ

- Metro Center

(PXN)

10:00 am

17-SEP-09 2h 30m 1 Reserved Thruway Seat

That whole Maricopa/Phoenix thing really needs to be fixed!

No way to come or go to the station when the trains roll by.

I'd probably go a few times a year; and I don't want to take a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to get to Phoenix by train.

There has been talk about UP reopening the line west of Phoenix and the Sunset returning to that route. I hope this happens as Phoenix definately needs rail service.

There has been talk about UP reopening the line west of Phoenix and the Sunset returning to that route. I hope this happens as Phoenix definately needs rail service.
It may re-open, but I can assure you that without a lot of political arm twisting, Amtrak won't be using it.

It may re-open, but I can assure you that without a lot of political arm twisting, Amtrak won't be using it.
Even if it was reopened, one source of support for Phoenix to be served again by Amtrak would be the Senator from Arizona. And one of the Senators is .......... John McCain! And he is from Phoenix! And he is no Amtrak fan (he wanted to get rid of Amtrak)!

So I don't think that Amtrak will be serving Phoenix with trains soon! :rolleyes:

Even if it was reopened, one source of support for Phoenix to be served again by Amtrak would be the Senator from Arizona. And one of the Senators is .......... John McCain! And he is from Phoenix! And he is no Amtrak fan (he wanted to get rid of Amtrak)!

So I don't think that Amtrak will be serving Phoenix with trains soon! :rolleyes:
Maybe if Amtrak were to return to Phoenix though, then they could convince John that Amtrak does indeed serve his state. :lol:

Maybe if Amtrak were to return to Phoenix though, then they could convince John that Amtrak does indeed serve his state. :lol:
Yeah I guess they didnt teach him @! the Naval Academy that Tuscon,Maricopa,Yuma,Williams and Flagstaff are in Arizona too! He even has a vacation home close to the SWC route and Im sure knows lots of older folks (most of the folks he sees are probably as old or older than him! :lol: )that would like to have a train pick them up in Phoenix instead of having to go out into the desert in the middle of the night to catch a train! The only good thing about Maricopa is the old dome car that used to be the station! :lol:

Yeah I guess they didnt teach him @! the Naval Academy that Tuscon,Maricopa,Yuma,Williams and Flagstaff are in Arizona too!
Don't forget Kingman too! (Although many would like to forget the "station"! :eek: )

Yeah I guess they didnt teach him @! the Naval Academy that Tuscon,Maricopa,Yuma,Williams and Flagstaff are in Arizona too!
Don't forget Kingman too! (Although many would like to forget the "station"! :eek: )
Well I forgot Winslow too, the Eagles will be crushed!!! :lol: (Does he know the Grand Canyon is in Arizona??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back