meals on eastbound Lakeshore Limited and Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck1108

Train Attendant
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Ottawa and will have a long stopover in Chicago, before departing around 9pm on the Lake Shore Limited.

Is Dinner served on the LSL? When I've been westbound on the Southwest Chief, Dinner has been served a while before the train

leaves the station (around 7-ish?), and so I was wondering if something similar happens on the e-bound LSL?

I'm looking into some new Chicago sites, incl the Drake's tea setting, as well as the Planetarium, one place I've always wanted to go - a visitor guide says they

have one of the original Gemini capsules, restored, as well as other cool stuff. Is walking an option, or are taxis usually better, in

this case?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Ottawa and will have a long stopover in Chicago, before departing around 9pm on the Lake Shore Limited.

Is Dinner served on the LSL? When I've been westbound on the Southwest Chief, Dinner has been served a while before the train

leaves the station (around 7-ish?), and so I was wondering if something similar happens on the e-bound LSL?
No dinner out of Chicago on LSL. Sleeper passenger get a Wine and Cheese Social in the Diner before departure. The are boarded around 8:15pm for the 9:30pm departure. Coach passengers are boarded later and there is no Dinner service in the Diner for anyone.

Hi,

No dinner out of Chicago on LSL. Sleeper passenger get a Wine and Cheese Social in the Diner before departure. The are boarded around 8:15pm for the 9:30pm departure. Coach passengers are boarded later and there is no Dinner service in the Diner for anyone.
Thank you for your help! I've taken food aboard when in a sleeper, but not really in coach. If I got a small pizza, say, from Tony's, etc., can I take it onboard (if I give the conductor a piece - lol)?

Hi,

Even though the dinning car is closed, will the cafe (snack) bar be open after leaving Chicago?

You can, of course, take any food you like on board to eat at your seat, or in your bedroom. I have often seen coolboxes of food carried aboard the long distance trains by coach passengers.

I am guessing you meant eastbound for dinner on the "Chief", as it leaves Chicago westbound mid afternoon..

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

I would guess the OP means the Cap Ltd. since it leaves in the evening and dinner is served either before it leaves the station or soon after. Also the City of new Orleans does the same thing! Since the card only runs three times a week and leaves early I wouldnt think they this train!

I would guess the OP means the Cap Ltd. since it leaves in the evening and dinner is served either before it leaves the station or soon after. Also the City of new Orleans does the same thing! Since the card only runs three times a week and leaves early I wouldnt think they this train!
I thought the OP explicitly asked about LSL as in "before departing around 9pm on the Lake Shore Limited.

Is Dinner served on the LSL"? What makes you think he would ask about LSL if he really wanted to ask about the Cap? :unsure:

If you want to go to the Planetarium, it's not within easy walking distance of Union Station (I say "easy" walking distance, because walking distance means different things to different people; I could walk it, but then again, I usually do a 10-mile walk once per week, so...anyway).

If you are traveling during the summer (before Labor Day), you can take the CTA #130 bus. It will take you directly to the Planetarium, boarding on Jackson St. at the river. This bus only runs during the summer. If you're traveling after Labor Day, a CTA ride would require a transfer (so it's best to buy a transit card from the vending machine near the Metra ticket windows, and put at least $4.50 in value on it, so it will be good for your trip there and back; cash-paying passengers do not get transfers on the buses). Take anything east on Jackson St. (with the exception of routes #11 and #156) to State, and board a southbound #146 bus. Returning, take the #146 back to Adams St, and take anything west from there to the station.

Or, you could take a cab, which would run you about $10-15 each way.

Yes the wine and cheese reception is held upon departure eastbound from Chicago. You will be served a variety of cheese, fruit and crackers. I found the affair very well organized and quite enjoyable. Amtrak provides ample wine and snacks that will carry you well into the wee hours of the morning. Get a light dinner in Chicago before you board but be sure to leave room for the event. On my most recent trip leaving this past Saturday, I met up with a very interesting individual and spent the time in great conversation. We closed out the car that night. Amtrak has obviously tried to up the ante on service for The Lakeshore and it certainly showed. It was amazing how fast crews worked together to service the train at each stop and get it on the move. Even in Albany, a known trouble spot for this train, thingsa moved quite well. We arrived pretty much on the advertised in SPG and I commend Amtrak on their improvements the Lake Shore Limited. Food in the traditional diner was also quite good. Do add this train to your itinerary if you plan a trip to CHI from the east coast.

By the way, even though it's called a Wine & Cheese reception, for those who don't drink wine Amtrak also provides a non-alcoholic sparkling cider option.

Amtrak has obviously tried to up the ante on service for The Lakeshore and it certainly showed. It was amazing how fast crews worked together to service the train at each stop and get it on the move. Even in Albany, a known trouble spot for this train, thingsa moved quite well. We arrived pretty much on the advertised in SPG and I commend Amtrak on their improvements the Lake Shore Limited. Food in the traditional diner was also quite good. Do add this train to your itinerary if you plan a trip to CHI from the east coast.
On my most recent trip back from Seattle to New York, to my utmost amazement, service in general aboard the Lake Shore Limited was equal to or in case of the Diner significantly better than on the Empire Builder. So either the Empire Builder is slipping or the Lake Shore has improved considerably or both. I think the Lake Shore has improved considerably, and the Empire Builder has slipped some.

Even though the dinning car is closed, will the cafe (snack) bar be open after leaving Chicago?
Yes, the cafe car opens shortly after leaving Chicago and stays open for a couple hours (not sure when exactly since you change time zones).

I thought the OP explicitly asked about LSL as in "before departing around 9pm on the Lake Shore Limited.

Is Dinner served on the LSL"? What makes you think he would ask about LSL if he really wanted to ask about the Cap? :unsure:
Also, the CL does not go to BUF (where he is connecting)!
rolleyes.gif

Hi,

" When I've been westbound on the Southwest Chief, Dinner has been served a while before the train

leaves the station (around 7-ish?)"

The above statement by the OP led to the confusion around the Capitol Limited.. we were just trying to work out which train the OP meant, as the SW Chief leaves mid afternoon westward..., and the guess was maybe it was the Capitol Ltd eastbound being refered to, given the 7pm dinner time..

Eddie, :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back