Meals To Ticketed Passengers In Sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
I'll be traveling from LAX to EMY on July 23rd, and have a roomette booked for myself, my son, and his friend. (both 13)

The agent on the phone said, "that will include meals for two of you..............."

I thought if your name was on the ticket, and you were in a sleeper, you would be entitled to a meal?

Forgive the question you gurus, I just don't have access to the "blue book" right now. Thanks in advance!

(btw, this is the first leg of a X country trip, on the Zephyr, to the Cap. Wish me luck, my older son went three years ago, and really did not have the time of his life..............)

At least son #2 is interested in getting his Railroading Merit Badge. :/

I may be wrong, but I also thought it was "up to the allowed occupancy of the room, provided all passengers assigned to that room are named on the reservation". Is the allowable occupancy of a Roomette 2 or 3? (I know bedrooms are 3 and a F-Room is 4 or is it 5?)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the way I interpret it, I could be wrong.

When ticketing on Amtrak, a child is considered to be between the ages of 2 - 15.

Since both boys are 13, they are considered children by Amtrak.

Based on the the most current Service Standards that was just posted recently, you and two 13 year old children are within the allowable number of passengers in a roomette.

roomettepax_zps16ba2c31.png

Edited to add this:
• Each person in the room, up to the maximum
permitted, will receive complimentary meals
in the Dining Car.

But in reality, it matters little what the telephone agent tells you, or what the service manual states.

What matters is what the on-board train crew tells you, which may or may not match up with

all other available evidence. If you get denied a free meal that you think your party deserves, you'll

have to take it up with Customer Service later.

Good luck!
JB nailed it, meals for the 3 of you.

Is that taken from the new version of the blue book?
Yes it is, Ryan.

From this link Service Standards Manual October 2012 that jebr posted in a thread on 6/10/13

The sleeper charts begin on page 482 or, from the table of contents, section 8-68

I found the complimentary meal info in the 'onboard upgrades section' on page 484 or section 8-71

But in reality, it matters little what the telephone agent tells you, or what the service manual states.What matters is what the on-board train crew tells you, which may or may not match up with

all other available evidence. If you get denied a free meal that you think your party deserves, you'll

have to take it up with Customer Service later.
It's not what someone thinks they deserve, it's absolutely what they paid for.

You could also be proactive and print out the Service Standard information that is pertinent to your situation and have it at hand.

I'd be surprised if any OBS would deny a passenger the service and amenities that they are entitled to when faced with the facts in black & white.

In this particular situation, that's exactly what I would do.

You can also download the manual and keep it on your device to have just in case you run into problems of any kind - that's what I'm doing.

When I was on Amtrak 2 years ago, I sat at supper with a family of 3. They were in a roomette and only allowed 2 meals, so their little girl shared with them. I think this is common. I also thought bedrooms were only allowed 2 meals. Aren't they both rated for 1 to 2 people in the rooms? Is that how they decide how many meals people get? I was in coach, so paid for everything I ate. I guess the people in rooms also pay for everything they eat, only they pay ahead of time.

When I was on Amtrak 2 years ago, I sat at supper with a family of 3. They were in a roomette and only allowed 2 meals, so their little girl shared with them. I think this is common. I also thought bedrooms were only allowed 2 meals. Aren't they both rated for 1 to 2 people in the rooms? Is that how they decide how many meals people get? I was in coach, so paid for everything I ate. I guess the people in rooms also pay for everything they eat, only they pay ahead of time.
The difference there was that they had 2 adults plus a kid. The OP is asking about one adult plus 2 kids.

I'll be traveling from LAX to EMY on July 23rd, and have a roomette booked for myself, my son, and his friend. (both 13)
The agent on the phone said, "that will include meals for two of you..............."

I thought if your name was on the ticket, and you were in a sleeper, you would be entitled to a meal?

Forgive the question you gurus, I just don't have access to the "blue book" right now. Thanks in advance!

(btw, this is the first leg of a X country trip, on the Zephyr, to the Cap. Wish me luck, my older son went three years ago, and really did not have the time of

How are you going to fit three of you in a roomette? Are the thirteen year olds extremely small? The bds are not especially large and I would think it would make for uncomfortable sleeping!

(btw, this is the first leg of a X country trip, on the Zephyr, to the Cap. Wish me luck, my older son went three years ago, and really did not have the time of

How are you going to fit three of you in a roomette? Are the thirteen year olds extremely small? The bds are not especially large and I would think it would make for uncomfortable sleeping!
We won't really need the roomette beds, as we are de-training at EMY, over-nighting in a hotel, and catching the Zephyr east the next morning.....

Do "adults" get a regular meal, and the "children" get kids meals?

So in this case, at each serving, the OP gets one regular meal and two kids meals?

When ticketing on Amtrak, a child is considered to be between the ages of 2 - 15.

Based on the the most current Service Standards that was just posted recently, you and two 13 year old children are within the allowable number of passengers in a roomette.

roomettepax_zps16ba2c31.png

Edited to add this:
in the Dining Car.

Do "adults" get a regular meal, and the "children" get kids meals?
So in this case, at each serving, the OP gets one regular meal and two kids meals?

[img=[URL="http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/terracottage/public/roomettepax_zps16ba2c31.png%5D"]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/terracottage/public/roomettepax_zps16ba2c31.png][/URL]

Edited to add this:

in the Dining Car.
That is NOT my understanding. The kids can eat from the regular menu.......THAT is my interpretation....ymmv

Even 13 year olds can share an upper berth in a Superliner roomette if they sleep feet to feet. But you might need to bring along an extra pillow -- I think the roomettes are supplied with only two pillows.

Even 13 year olds can share an upper berth in a Superliner roomette if they sleep feet to feet. But you might need to bring along an extra pillow -- I think the roomettes are supplied with only two pillows.
That's what my twin brother and I did at that age, in the upper bunk of the old 10-6 sleepers and a few times in Slumbercoach. I won't say it was great but it worked. When it got to be too much I went to the dome, this was on the B & O version of the Capitol Ltd.

Tight fit I'd think. I can see that arrangement for sleeping but if the beds are not made, 3 people seems very crowded.

Tight fit I'd think. I can see that arrangement for sleeping but if the beds are not made, 3 people seems very crowded.
Can you say PPC? Even if bad-ordered, can u then say, SSL? I see no reason to waste time in the roomette, when one or both are options......

Can you say PPC? Even if bad-ordered, can u then say, SSL? I see no reason to waste time in the roomette, when one or both are options......
OP, I agree with both of these posters. If you're not going to stay overnight & don't need beds, I really don't think you'll want a roomette for 3 people, especially if 2 of them are 13 year olds. I don't know how big the two 13 year olds are, but they're going to have to share a seat in the roomette. You can go to the SSL, but you could do that from coach too. There are only TWO reasons for having the sleeper: 1) meals are included, and 2) access to the PPC. As for the meals, you might want to consider whether the upgraded cost of the sleeper makes up for the cost of the meals. It probably doesn't (especially if you teenagers would be content eating snacks from the cafe car). Secondly, you do have access to the PPC, but will the teens care much about that? Other than access to the PPC, you're really just paying more money for less room.

Secondly, about that bedroom the next day - I assume that you're planning on sleeping in the lower bunk, and putting the two teens together on the lower bunk? Well, no matter how you arrange it, you might want to make sure that everyone involved understands how small the beds really are, & that the 2 people who will be sharing one can actually do so.

Agree totally about printing out "the rules" and having the document ready for both the SCA and the waiters in the dining car. The "should" know proper procedures, but very well may not. To me, paying for the roomette and getting meals and use of the PPC is very sensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back