Meals - what are sleeper passengers entitled to?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyK

Train Attendant
We are two adults booked to travel on the Capitol Ltd from Chicago to Washington DC. I believe that we will be entitled to dinner just after we board then breakfast and lunch the next day. I have seen some sample menus but not sure what we are entitled to. Do we get entree, dessert and beverage for dinner? Also is complimentary coffee available during the journey. Thanks

Pretty much "YES" to all your questions. You can get any one entree, a dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage for dinner. You'll usually also get rolls and salad.

Breakfast, you can get an entree and side of meat, as well as a beverage.

You should also get a lunch service if you are travelling eastbound into Washington.

Coffee wil be available in your sleeper during your trip, though that served in the diner tends to taste better to me.

The last time I was on the CL (in June), lunch was early and abbreviated (no dessert) because the train was running on time.

You have a choice of ANY meal on the menu. (Not just A or B.) You can chose a $12 meal - or a $22 meal. The only things not included are appetizers and alcoholic beverages. And note that meals in the dining car are included, but are not from the cafe/snack bar. So even if you want a hamburger for lunch, at the snack bar you must pay for it, but in the diner, you don't! ;)

We are two adults booked to travel on the Capitol Ltd from Chicago to Washington DC. I believe that we will be entitled to dinner just after we board then breakfast and lunch the next day. I have seen some sample menus but not sure what we are entitled to. Do we get entree, dessert and beverage for dinner? Also is complimentary coffee available during the journey. Thanks
We all assume you have a sleeper. Is this correct? If not, you are not entitled to 'free' meals as the others have described.

Good point! ;)

If you are booked in a sleeper, there is complimentary coffee available in your sleeper, but if you are in coach, there is not - and you must pay for your meals, both in the cafe and diner.

Is a side included with your breakfast? I don't remember that.

Also, the sample menu on amtrak.com for the Texas Eagle, is that used for the Sunset Ltd. as well, or is that strictly for the run from SAS to CHI?

Also, the sample menu on amtrak.com for the Texas Eagle, is that used for the Sunset Ltd. as well, or is that strictly for the run from SAS to CHI?
Most meals include a starch (hash browns, grits, etc...) and bread (croissant (sp?)). As mentioned, a side of meat (bacon, sausage, etc...) is included. So what kind of side are you asking about?

Yes, you can choose your side, some LSA/waiters will even let you get more than one, but not all! Except for the quesadilla appetizers and the so called Bar-B-Q sandwich, the menus on the Eagle and the Sunset are basically the same! Dont eat the flat-iron pot roast if its still offered< hold out for real food! :lol:

The sample menu for the TE is just for the TE between SAS (actually Austin) and CHI - where it uses the CCC. When it is connected to the SL (between LAX and SAS), it has a "regular" menu - since the SL has a "regular" diner!

Yes, you can choose your side, some LSA/waiters will even let you get more than one, but not all! Except for the quesadilla appetizers and the so called Bar-B-Q sandwich, the menus on the Eagle and the Sunset are basically the same! Dont eat the flat-iron pot roast if its still offered< hold out for real food! :lol:
Do I note a hint of disdain for the "Bar-B-Q"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim is from Texas - so what does he know? :lol:

I myself like it! So much so that I had it both days when I was on the TE last month! :) (I also heard that the "real" flat iron steaks will be back in the fall! :cool: No more "mystery railkill"! :lol: )

Well, ahem, since I live in the Bar-B-Q capital of the world (please not hate mail from KC and North Carolina! :lol: ) Ill say that Amtrak Bar-B-Q is to real bar-B-Q as Amtraks wings are to Buffalo wings as Amtraks flat iron pot roast is to a real steak as is Amtraks quesadillas are to real quesadillas (Tex-Mex style naturally,not that california and New Mexico psuedo Mexican food! :) )! Id sooner eat the chicken (tastes like chicken! :lol: )

As to the travelers culinary advice, he might know trains but hes from Rhode Island for goodness sake, think they still eat roots and berries up that way,

perhaps even roadkill since there so much of it as everyone goes whizzing through that tiny place! (Does it really exist or is it just a suburb of Boston?) :lol:

Well, ahem, since I live in the Bar-B-Q capital of the world (please not hate mail from KC and North Carolina! :lol: ) Ill say that Amtrak Bar-B-Q is to real bar-B-Q as Amtraks wings are to Buffalo wings as Amtraks flat iron pot roast is to a real steak as is Amtraks quesadillas are to real quesadillas (Tex-Mex style naturally,not that california and New Mexico psuedo Mexican food! :) )! Id sooner eat the chicken (tastes like chicken! :lol: )

As to the travelers culinary advice, he might know trains but hes from Rhode Island for goodness sake, think they still eat roots and berries up that way,

perhaps even roadkill since there so much of it as everyone goes whizzing through that tiny place! (Does it really exist or is it just a suburb of Boston?) :lol:
Now don't go blaspheming our quesadilla's here in Cali, hermano. :lol:

How about the "Southern Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich" on the Crescent? Does anyone have any opinions on that or is that a sore subject as well?

How about the "Southern Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich" on the Crescent? Does anyone have any opinions on that or is that a sore subject as well?
Of course it's a sore subject! Do you want to get into the one true vinegar-based North Carolina barbecue vs. those mustard-using heretics in South Carolina? And as God is my witness, I've heard people refer to beef as barbecue.

I had always understood that beef pork or chicken could be BBQed. Shows what this guy stuck in So Cal knows. Now that the L.A. county fair is going on I am getting plenty of BBQ since I have a season pass. :)

I've eaten the BBQ offered on the Texas Eagle and found it to be quite good, but then again, I can enjoy almost any meal if it's in a Diner or even CCC rolling along at speed :) I do wish they'd bring back the "basic" enchiladas they offered last year.

The last time I was on the CL (in June), lunch was early and abbreviated (no dessert) because the train was running on time.
I rode the CL on the 15th out of Chicago to WAS. On that run they served a brunch from 0630 to 1130. If you wished you could have had a burger for breakfast or eggs for lunch. Your choice.

If you get a burger, extras like bacon and cheese are available to sleeper pax at no charge.

However if you want wings for lunch (wings are an app) you have to pay for them :(

Thanks so much for all the replies. Sorry I did forget to mention that we will be in a sleeper but your replies have answered all my questions.

I had the flat ironed roast on the Sunset Ltd in June and thought it was fantastic as was all the food choices.

For breakfast don't be critical about the eggs. Having worked in restaurants, eggs are notroriously difficult for mass serving keeping their quality.

I had the flat ironed roast on the Sunset Ltd in June and thought it was fantastic as was all the food choices.
I agree (somewhat), the roast was not all that bad. But it is not the original flat iron steak, which is a "real" steak. I understand that those were taken off the menu during the summer rush, but will be back this fall. We call it "mystery meat" because it it not the original flat iron steak, it is different on many trains, but all are listed as "flat iron ____ steak" on the menu and all are the same price! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back