Medications in checked bags

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
I am taking the CZ to California on Aug 4-6. I will be staying out on the west coast for about 6 weeks. When looking over the baggage policies, I noticed a list of items that either could not be carried on or that could not be checked. When I got to 'Medications including perscription drugs' I noticed a 'yes' in the carry on colum, and a 'no' in the checked baggage column. There was also a footnote stating '*Medication left in checked baggage will be inaccessible en-route'. I had planned to pack the meds I needed for the three days I would be on the train, in my 'carry on' suitcase and pack the rest in with the checked luggage. I assume that the only reason not to check your meds is to make sure they are accessible. Would it really be a problem if I checked most of my medications, since I will have what I need in my carry on? Are there safty issues I havn't thought of? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

On another topic, in reading the forum someone mentioned something about shoes having to be worn. I am assuming that sandles are ok. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Keep in mind that the baggage cars are not climate controlled and extreme highs and lows in temperature can greatly affect efficacy.

Do not put any medications in checked baggage.

It is no problem to put most of your medications in your checked baggage and some in your carry-on bag. The reason for that warning is for people who at the first meal or morning of a 3 day trip say "... all my medication is in my checked baggage and I need it now! How do I get it?" and find out that they can't.

As far as sandals, it's up to you, but personally I would not. The reason for the rule is for your safety. If you were crossing between cars, and the train hit a bump, and your toes got caught between the steel plates of each car, I would rather be wearing shoes! Yes, it would still hurt, but at least you would have some padding over your bare toes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it would be solely an issue of access. however: I would keep several days worth extra with me. First: If there are major delays, you do not want to run out on the train if you need a dose or two more than planned. Say have one extra day at hand for this reason. Second: If the baggage got lost, you would want to have enough on hand to get you through until you could get refills. Teh chances of eitehr happening to the point that it would be necessary to have the extra are failry slim, but the prevention is very easy.

You are correct about the main reason to have your medication in your carryon, namely having access to medication while on the train.

However, *the trains may be delayed*. Trains have been known to be delayed by 24 hours, or in very rare cases 33.

So I would take at least one or two days of medication beyond the number of days you expect to be on the train.

Your checked baggage may also go missing, though this is much rarer, and it usually shows up within 24 hours. Amtrak doesn't want you to sue for medical injuries if they lose your medication in your checked luggage, which is probably the reason for the official prohibition.

Obviously some people with severe illnesses have so much medication that they cannot practically put six weeks worth in their carryons, and for those people I'm sure Amtrak would have no serious objections to checking the excess medication in a locked case -- you could call it a 'reasonable accomodation' under the ADA if they give you trouble.

If that is not the case for you, however, I really would put all the medication in your carryons just in case, as it's annoying to have to get emergency prescriptions filled far from home in the case of lost luggage; I've done it.

Regarding sandals, I'm certain they're OK if you wear socks, uncertain if you don't. The main purpose of the shoes rule is to prevent people from slipping in the vestibules (which is very dangerous) and in the aisles; the secondary purpose is health-and-safety in the food service cars. Sandals should be fine for preventing slipping, I don't know about the food service rules.

I am taking the CZ to California on Aug 4-6. I will be staying out on the west coast for about 6 weeks. When looking over the baggage policies, I noticed a list of items that either could not be carried on or that could not be checked. When I got to 'Medications including perscription drugs' I noticed a 'yes' in the carry on colum, and a 'no' in the checked baggage column. There was also a footnote stating '*Medication left in checked baggage will be inaccessible en-route'. I had planned to pack the meds I needed for the three days I would be on the train, in my 'carry on' suitcase and pack the rest in with the checked luggage. I assume that the only reason not to check your meds is to make sure they are accessible. Would it really be a problem if I checked most of my medications, since I will have what I need in my carry on? Are there safty issues I havn't thought of? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

On another topic, in reading the forum someone mentioned something about shoes having to be worn. I am assuming that sandles are ok. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Personally, there are some things I would *never* carry in checked baggage... my meds being one of them. I'd keep all of them in carry on space. They're small enough anyway to take them all with me. If something were to happen to the checked baggage, I could probably replace the clothes quickly. The meds are a bit harder to replace when I'm away from home.

I have had a few Amtrak trips when conductors and/or OBS did tell people that they shouldn't wear sandals, most recently last month on the Hiawatha. Having said that, though, that has generally been the exception rather than the rule.

I've worn sandals (Birkenstock-type) with and without socks many, many times and no one has ever said "boo" to me about it. I think they're more concerned about the people barefootin' it. (Also, I often carry a pair of slippers with me for the time when I know I will "just" be in the sleeper car, like after dinner - it's more comfortable than shoes but without the potential ick factor of being barefoot where many people may have been barefoot before)

As for meds, my biggest concern would be the lack of climate control on the baggage cars. (Luckily, the meds I take are few and easily portable...so they go in my carry on). Other than that, i think the main reason they say not to put medications in checked luggage is because there will be some people who think it's OK to put ALL their meds in there, that they will have access en route....

I have had a few Amtrak trips when conductors and/or OBS did tell people that they shouldn't wear sandals, most recently last month on the Hiawatha. Having said that, though, that has generally been the exception rather than the rule.
There's a big difference between Birkenstock-style sandals, hefty with textured soles, and flimsy sandals with no grip. But they're both called "sandals"...

The first rule of shoes on a train is, you want shoes with good traction and good stability, just like you would on a ship. Walking between cars you may, indeed, be walking on wet metal, and you do not want to slip.

So, no high heels, no flip-flops.

Eh, I wear high heels just fine on the train. I think a good rule of thumb is no flip flops, but to say no high heels is a little silly. I wouldn't wear 4 inch stilettos, but the high heels that I wear to the office are perfectly appropriate when I take acela to NY for business.

Well Acela is a totally different animal, since they don't have the typical vestibules common to the rest of Amtrak's fleet.

But I would tend to agree that one needs to be considering just what type of heel one is wearing, some work and some don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back