Metropolitan Lounge CUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PupfosterG

Train Attendant
I have searched this topic and reviewed a lot of info. I just want to make sure I understand.

This will be my first utilization of the lounge. I'm coming into CUS as a sleeping car passenger on #58 from New Orleans later in March. I will be departing later that day in coach on #3 the Southwest Chief. As I have read, I can use the lounge as an arriving sleeping car passenger. I can stow my bag there for the day, I will receive a pass to come and go from the lounge. Is that all correct? But I will be departing as a coach passenger on #3. How will that effect my access to the lounge later in the day to retrieve my bag? Can I wait in the lounge to board #3 or will I need to eventually exit the lounge to line up for coach boarding. What would you guys do? Is Lou Mitchell's in Chicago still a good recommended? Another good lunch location? Thanks!

As long as you have your ticket (or rezzie) showing you are in a sleeper, THAT DAY, you have unlimited access to the lounge. No matter what the staff may say. But generally, they are pretty good.

You may be asked to go to the main waiting room to board the SWC just prior to boarding, or they may allow you to board along with the other sleeper passengers from the lounge. It all depends. What I would do is request a Red Cap. (Wait near the front door inside the lounge at boarding time.)

Besides Lou Mitchell, many of us like Giordano's (2 blocks away on Jackson).

We boarded coach for #3 from the lounge at CUS a couple years ago. The conductor told us to go ahead and walk out with the sleeper passengers.

The coach attendant hassled us a bit, but then the conductor came up and said he'd given us permission. So, I'd say to check with the lounge attendant when you check in. Sometimes, the conductors will check tickets in the lounge, so you could ask the conductor then too.

But yes, you can certainly use the lounge all day. As rrdude said, as long as you have a sleeper ticket arriving that day, that gives you all-day lounge access. I've done this many, many times (sleeper to Chicago and then coach to Kalamazoo).

Last edited by a moderator:
For lunch, or even brunch, you could head over to Manny's by Canal and Roosevelt.

Greektown isn't far from Union Station.

I've also been recommending the French Market at Ogilvie Station (commuter rail just about three blocks north of Union Station.) With a wide variety of selections in food, it's a gem which I don't think a lot of the Amtrak riding enthusiasts have discovered.

Miller's Pub on Wabash is a classic tavern and grill with a good menu.

The Berghoff with its German oriented fare.

Really, there is so much downtown that it's almost difficult not to find something good.

And there are even some decent food offerings at the food court in Union Station, itself, not to mention solid offerings at the bar just off the Great Hall.

You are correct in all your assumptions except

line up for coach boarding.
Lining up is strictly voluntary. You can always lurk until the line goes away or, if you belong to one of several classes of passengers, you are called to the front of the line.

On my last trip, I came in on a sleeper, then connected to Hiawatha service to Milwaukee. The folks at the front desk of the lounge paged me when they started boarding the train, and directed me to the waiting room where the coach line had formed. If there was sleeper service, they may have let me board with the sleepers, but in this case it was a coach only train. There were no problems at all going in and out, and they stored my luggage.

As for eating, Giordano's is great in my opinion. Best pizza I've ever eaten, and not that far of a walk. Just dress warm if it's forecast to be cold, Chicago can be brutally cold in the winter.

When I had to board Coach from the CUS Lounge one time, a Red Cap hanging around the door when I asked about that said one of them would run me out when it was time, saving me having to go to the Line of Horror; the Front Desk Attendant concurred. I was driven out on a Golf Cart, horn blasting and folks wondering who this Longhair guy is to get special attention. I was depositied right at the Coach door and was in my seat in an otherwise empty car by the time the Coach Attendant showed up to begin her duty.

Best Fiver I ever laid out for a tip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back