Miles Traveled on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I told a friend once, for just about every tangible thing in the world (and many non-tangible things), there is someone whose hobby is the enjoyment of it. No one need enjoy every hobby, but neither should anyone be required to stand silent while his hobby, whatever it may be, is attacked.
People who collect coins, as I do, are called numismatists.

People who enjoy trains, whether riding them, or watching them pass by, or photographing them, etc., as I and many others here do, are called railfans, or, if we're to believe someone's vitriolic ad-hominems, 'rail nerds' or the 'mental[lly] ill[]'.

...and so on.

And indeed, people who intrude on other people's fun or hobbies with no other reason than to ruin that fun or criticize those hobbies, as someone does, are called bullies.

As if I need to defend myself against someone, I ride Amtrak every weekday to get from point A to point B (well, point B to point A, having ridden Metrolink to get from point A to point B ) as part of my commute, and therefore belong to the only class of people entitled to ride Amtrak, in someone's opinion (best summarized 'you may ride Amtrak only if you need to, not if you want to'). But I also frequently ride it on the weekends for recreation, and indeed have written several trip reports about it. If, along the way, I record that I have therefore ridden just over 5000 miles on Amtrak, and can share that with others interested, I shall. If people like someone, not interested, are exposed to that information because I force myself on them, I am wrong. If they are exposed to it because they force themselves on us, then they are wrong, and I'm afraid that's just tough.

Sorry to everyone, but when people are called mentally-ill nerds only because of their hobbies, I react.

Now the good news for sky12065: AU has a 'stepsister' site (they're not officially associated in any way, but share administrators and many many members), with a set of fora like these. One of those fora has precisely the kind of information you seek. Admins, can I edit this post to include a link thereto?

Chris
If you're referring to On Track On Line, I think a link would be allowed. AlanB links to it more than occasionally! :lol:

And thanks for the pithy, poignant post.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I told a friend once, for just about every tangible thing in the world (and many non-tangible things), there is someone whose hobby is the enjoyment of it. No one need enjoy every hobby, but neither should anyone be required to stand silent while his hobby, whatever it may be, is attacked.

People who enjoy trains, whether riding them, or watching them pass by, or photographing them, etc., as I and many others here do, are called railfans, or, if we're to believe someone's vitriolic ad-hominems, 'rail nerds' or the 'mental[lly] ill[]'.

...and so on.

And indeed, people who intrude on other people's fun or hobbies with no other reason than to ruin that fun or criticize those hobbies, as someone does, are called bullies.

As if I need to defend myself against someone, I ride Amtrak every weekday to get from point A to point B (well, point B to point A, having ridden Metrolink to get from point A to point B ) as part of my commute, and therefore belong to the only class of people entitled to ride Amtrak, in someone's opinion (best summarized 'you may ride Amtrak only if you need to, not if you want to'). But I also frequently ride it on the weekends for recreation, and indeed have written several trip reports about it. If, along the way, I record that I have therefore ridden just over 5000 miles on Amtrak, and can share that with others interested, I shall. If people like someone, not interested, are exposed to that information because I force myself on them, I am wrong. If they are exposed to it because they force themselves on us, then they are wrong, and I'm afraid that's just tough.

Sorry to everyone, but when people are called mentally-ill nerds only because of their hobbies, I react.

Now the good news for sky12065: AU has a 'stepsister' site (they're not officially associated in any way, but share administrators and many many members), with a set of fora like these. One of those fora has precisely the kind of information you seek. Admins, can I edit this post to include a link thereto?

Chris
If you're referring to On Track On Line, I think a link would be allowed. AlanB links to it more than occasionally! :lol:

And thanks for the pithy, poignant post.
Oh, OK then! Specifically, Amtrak Mileage Tally.

Poignant? Dunno. I admit I laid on the pith pretty thick though. Sorry. :)

(One thing that I will admit is just completely foreign to me is the love of NASCAR...why it is riveting to watch cars drive around in circles is beyond comprehension! No offense to any southern boys out here on AU... :p )

Oh, but you miss the point of NASCAR. It's not to see them going in circles. It's to see them crash and destruct. That's what men (Southern or not) are all about!

(One thing that I will admit is just completely foreign to me is the love of NASCAR...why it is riveting to watch cars drive around in circles is beyond comprehension! No offense to any southern boys out here on AU... :p )
Oh, but you miss the point of NASCAR. It's not to see them going in circles. It's to see them crash and destruct. That's what men (Southern or not) are all about!
What's your point???

B)

What's your point???

B)
Which part don't you understand?

There's actually a mental illness related to having an unhealthy preocupation with objects. The name escapes me but it has the word, object, in it IIRC.

There's actually a mental illness related to having an unhealthy preocupation with objects. The name escapes me but it has the word, object, in it IIRC.

Not at all directed to the poster whom I've quoted, but is there a word for an unhealthy preoccupation with minding everyone else's business and putting down other people's things they enjoy????

...and so on.

Chris
Chris,

I'm not sure who "someone" is specifically. If I said anything that you took exception to please PM me and explain because I didn't read anything in your post that I would find contrary to my thinking.

As for the AU stepsister site, it is neither good news or bad news for me. It's just simply information you provided. What I found at that site is not anything that I'm really looking for and feel the site is for the railfan more serious than I.

With this topic, after Alan telling me how many miles he has traveled, all I wanted was to get a simple idea (just courious) on how many miles others have traveled on Amtrak, but only from those that cared to share. And that was only until the interest waned and the thread set sail into the sunset. I wasn't really interest in short commutes, like to and from work, but I wouldn't have been so presumptuous as to criticize someone if they did. It's ok if anyone did post short trips even if I didn't care to see it. So I say thank you for suggesting the other site anyway!

I'm not sure who "someone" is specifically. If I said anything that you took exception to please PM me and explain because I didn't read anything in your post that I would find contrary to my thinking.
I believe the "someone" refers to another poster in this thread who's name begins with an "s". It was not directed to you.

If that other "someone" is not interested in the topic, that "someone" just needs to not read it. (I admit, I don't read 33%-50% of the threads.) There is no need for "someone" to put down anyone who responds to the thread!

Do we not have that right? Do we all not have a right to our opinions?
Oh, of course, 100 percent. Do I not have a right to my opinion?

If you post something on the internet, you risk someone coming along and disagreeing with you. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be.

Do we not have that right? Do we all not have a right to our opinions?
Oh, of course, 100 percent. Do I not have a right to my opinion?

If you post something on the internet, you risk someone coming along and disagreeing with you. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be.
There is a vast difference between disagreeing with someone and telling them that they are creepy and mentally ill.

You could have come along and said, "I'm not interested in counting mileage because I use Amtrak strictly as transportation and don't really have any interest in trains." I would have respected you for that choice, just as I would expect anyone else to respect my lack of enthusiasm for driving in circles (and crashing and burning) or digging in the dirt in my front yard.

Instead, you proceeded to act like a troll and make what amounts to a personal attack at those of us who enjoy the things we do.

Maybe you're just an immature college kid who doesn't know how to respect others. You can't really attack me for saying that, since I'm probably not any older than you are. Somehow I manage to treat others with respect.

There is a vast difference between disagreeing with someone and telling them that they are creepy and mentally ill.
It's my opinion that people who count miles are creepy and mentally ill. I think there is something wrong with them. I think they make rail advocates look bad. I think there should be more people who discuss transportation policy and how Amtrak can provide a public good instead of people who argue about the numbers assigned to rail cars and memorize timetables and other weird, creepy stuff.
Now why would I say something else? I'm not interested in sparing anybody's feelings or my own. I'm not attacking anyone personally or harassing anyone.

In discussing the merits of the high speed rail line in California, I have heard the opposition accuse supporters more than a few times of simply wanting an expensive toy train to play with. That's the image I am trying to fight.

I said my peace, as you have said yours. Welcome to the Internet.

I believe the "someone" refers to another poster in this thread who's name begins with an "s". It was not directed to you.
*nod*, the_trav. sky12065: I took exception to nothing you said. The only part directed to you was the one introduced by sky12065 (though even that wound up sowing confusion...see below). :) Each instance of someone refers to the same person, who is not you. :) Sorry if I offended or confused you; it was inadvertent. Sorry also about the confusion I caused you about On Track On Line (OTOL), specifically by my (probably unnecessary) reluctance to mention it here by name or URL. Yes, most of OTOL is above our heads, and meant for people whom even us nerds would call nerds (but in a much more friendly, playful way than someone :p ). Where I specifically meant to send you was Amtrak Mileage Tally, which, together with the 'real' replies to this thread, should precisely satisfy your curiosity! :) By coincidence, their rules for the trips that 'count' are almost identical to the criteria you mentioned in one of your replies here (the ONE IN ALL CAPS :p ).

In all that, I did manage to answer your original question, but the answer was hidden under my soapbox. :p As of now, I have travelled around 5000 miles on Amtrak. Pretty low among the people who even know, but I've only been riding Amtrak since 12/14/07. :) My segment count, however, kicks their asses, for my own mildly perverted reasons. :p About 60% of those segments, representing about 30% of the total, are those little daily 6-mile trips as part of my commute. In and of themselves, admittedly they are not interesting to sky12065, except that they are legitimately on Amtrak, and contribute to the mileage total. :) But even I have started to find them mundane. That's why I break up the monotony with weekend day trips to places further afield. The next one (for the curious) will be up to SF (I live in LA) to continue my exploration of BART and MUNI.

If that other "someone" is not interested in the topic, that "someone" just needs to not read it. (I admit, I don't read 33%-50% of the threads.) There is no need for "someone" to put down anyone who responds to the thread!
And, the_trav, I know that was not directed to me, but I admit that is exactly what I did with my own first post in this thread, and I apologize to any shocked onlookers. In my (only partial) defense, I put down someone who put down everyone who responded to the thread. :)

It's my opinion that people who count miles are creepy and mentally ill. I think there is something wrong with them. I think they make rail advocates look bad. I think there should be more people who discuss transportation policy and how Amtrak can provide a public good instead of people who argue about the numbers assigned to rail cars and memorize timetables and other weird, creepy stuff.
Now why would I say something else? I'm not interested in sparing anybody's feelings or my own. I'm not attacking anyone personally or harassing anyone.

In discussing the merits of the high speed rail line in California, I have heard the opposition accuse supporters more than a few times of simply wanting an expensive toy train to play with. That's the image I am trying to fight.

I said my peace, as you have said yours. Welcome to the Internet.
Spokker, there is a huge difference between "fighting an image" for political reasons and hurling insults at forum members. You've gone way over the line. Insulting people is generally not a good way to get people to see your point. Repetitively hurling the same insult even moreso. It is, however, a great way to demonstrate that you're not actually interested in arguing your point, just in being a troll.

Though I feel counting Amtrak miles is a bit odd and I wouldn't do it, nor would I save stamps, collect coins, or watch TV; I'm sure some of the things I do in habit might appear a bit weird to others. My only concern, as far as this posting goes, is that the general category of enthusiasts (mile-counters, train-watchers, etc.) gives the impression to some in power that Amtrak continues to exist primarily for its enthusiasts and has no usefulness in the general economy. I only say this because I've heard this narrow view expressed in casual conversations with powerful people. I remain perplexed as to why trains seem to attract more interest, more enthusiasts, then so many other things of human ingenuity. Perhaps it's the curious combination of being old-fashioned, quaint, and yet modern and efficient: enduing, enlivening. I ride the train, because I hate to drive, I don't like sitting in planes (too cramped), and I do not like the humiliation of the TSA lines. I ride the train, mostly the long distance ones, all the time. Since I guess I ride about 20,000 miles a year on Amtrak, and have been doing so at this high rate since 1999, that would work out to about 180,000 miles. I ride the train so that I can immerse myself in my own solitary behaviors that others might find odd, and leave the weirdness of others to themselves.

Counting miles isn't "empty." I world void of the weird, the odd and the amusing would be a very empty and distressing place indeed.

Amtrak mileage since July 2007 is: 20,704 including two trips each on EB, CZ, SWC & Coast Starlight. Numerous trips on LSL and CL to Chicago. Twice on the Pennsylvanian, a northeast corridor train and the Hoosier. Next up. CONO and Crescent next month (I hope --Hurricane Gustav not withstanding). Next summer- Texas Eagle and San Joaquins. Still lovin Amtrak and retirement. :p

Railroad & Mrs. Bill

Hmm, I didn't know I wasn't suppose to count Amtrak miles as my hobby. Guess we should get rid of Trains Magazine, we should all stop taking photos, stop having a model railroad in our basement or attics. I also have counted nearly all the flights I've done. I'm back from the moon and going back again in terms of flight miles flown. Guess I'm a nerd too and should stop doing that too because its my hobby.

That said I've logged all my Amtrak miles and have over 56,000 miles to date. You can see that of course on my signature, but guess I should get rid of that, because its fun and creeps someone out.

I'm going to keep counting miles just because I know it creeps someone out! :p The surest way for to keep doing something is for someone to insult it and make disparaging and nasty remarks about it. I'm a nerd and darned proud of it!!!!!!! :lol: I've driven 75 miles-one way-just to videotape trains at a crossing. I'll do that more now! This spring I was out for a drive, happened to see a CP train running through the countryside, and stopped to videotape it. I then raced, 25 miles over steep, winding roads, just to catch that same train at another crossing and videotape it again! And I'll do it more now, just because of someone else's disparaging opinion of it!!!! Oh, and I live for old timetables---could study them for hours. And as much as possible, do it more often, because now I know someone thinks it's a sign of mental illness and is creepy! And I forgot to mention driving over an hour to the entrance of a state park, not to enjoy the beauty of the waterfall within the park, but to stand on a vaduct over the mainline of the UP railroad, waiting for a train to videotape! And stood on the viaduct for 4 1/2 hours waiting! Never did see a train, but got sunburned in the process (okay, maybe that WAS mentally insane and creepy! :lol: ) Anybody else got any behaviors or hobbies you think are odd, wierd, and useless and empty??? I'll make sure to jump in with both feet, full force, just to defy those attitudes! :lol: :p ;)

Well, gotta run now! Gotta spend several hours looking over some old timetables I've found on line. Then time to load up the car with my camera equipment and go about 100 miles out of my way just to photograph trains! And all because someone thinks it's mentally sick and creepy to do so!! :lol:

I don't know every Amtrak mile in my life (lots of PHL-NYP trips in the 70's, 80's, and 90's that I never recorded), but I do know every Amtrak mile in the last five years or so.

My lacking in Amtrak data is made up by my air travel records. I know every mile I have flown since my first flight in 1967, subtotalled by airline, destination, and purpose (business or pleasure). I know every airport I have visited and how many times. I've kept the same data for my wife and two kids. The only thing I regret is that I did not keep records of the tail numbers of the aircraft. Knowing that you just flew on a plane that you were on ten years ago would be very cool.

I must be seriously ill. :p

I would never ever count miles on Amtrak. It's national public infrastructure used to get people where they need to go, not a subsidized hobby for rail nerds.
Wow! What an alzheimer prevention exercise. How could could I not rise to the challenge after Spokker called me a nerd? I came up with just under 110,000 miles. They included the following defunct trains.

National Limited: NY to Columbus, OH

International: Chicago to Toronto

Gulf Breeze: Birmingham to Mobile

Houston section of the Texas Eagle: Houston to Dallas

River Cities: STL to Centralia, IL (through heritage sleeper and dome coach from KC to NO)

Pioneer: Denver - Seattle

Desert Wind: Salt Lake City to LA.

Sunset Limited: Mobile to NO

PS: for Spokker's benefit, none were "hobby" miles: all were to get somewhere. My only hobby trips were on a suburban train in Montreal and on the ICE from Munich to Augsburg and return when I had an hour to kill in Munich.

I have traveled 124,631 on Amtrak since 1971...have been on just about every route that Amtrak operated except the weekend only service to Cape Cod. I traveled on private railroads for nearly 23 years prior to Amtrak...my first trip was when I was 3 weeks old from Joliet, Illinois to Council Bluffs, Iowa on the Rocky Mountain Rocket. My Dad worked for a railroad so when I was growing up when we traveled, it was not the question of taking a train vs other mode, the question was what railroad and what train we would travel on. My most frequent traveled Amtrak route is the Empire Builder from Chicago to the Twin Cities with 46 segments and from Twin Cities to Grand Forks with 32 segments

Guess we should get rid of Trains Magazine, we should all stop taking photos, stop having a model railroad in our basement or attics.
The best is when you call people's train "models" toy trains and they get angry at you.
I saw some dudes with a toy train display at the Fullerton Railroad Days and I respected them for calling it what it is, toy trains. They were cool guys.

It is, however, a great way to demonstrate that you're not actually interested in arguing your point, just in being a troll.
Troll = someone you disagree with.
There are far too many sensitive people on the Internet.

Back