My daughter wanted me to ask...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any questions too trivial for her?

The girls are counting down the days for their "best trip ever", and we have spent most of our time reading posts and looking at pics. (Not Packing!)

One pic we haven't found has one daughter rather concerned, so she wanted me to find out if she was going to be able to see the Holywood sign. We're taking the Coast Starlight.

Is there any questions too trivial for her? The girls are counting down the days for their "best trip ever", and we have spent most of our time reading posts and looking at pics. (Not Packing!)

One pic we haven't found has one daughter rather concerned, so she wanted me to find out if she was going to be able to see the Holywood sign. We're taking the Coast Starlight.
I don't believe so. I think the sign is below the top of the Hollywood Hills, facing south into Hollywood. The tracks run through the San Fernando Valley, north of the Hollywood Hills. Furthermore, I believe the sign is too far north to be seen from the LA passenger terminal. However, I'm sure someone can tell you which transit line you can take into Hollywood for a close up and personal view of the sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, we'll have to pass on the transit line. We've only got a quick layover from Sunset Limited to Coast Starlight. Just passing through LA.

Just wanted to be sure that we didn't neglect to look for it. Thanks so much for your help!

tonya

The "Hollywood" sign (originally the letter spelled out "Hollywoodland" to advertise a housing development) is located on the southern face of Mt. Lee in Griffith Park. Unfortunately, as Hytec noted, the Coast Starlight route is on the other side of Griffith Park.

And for sure you can't see the sign from LA Union Station, even on a clear day. So your daughter will sadly have to miss this brush with TinselTown.

Hope everything else about your Big Adventure goes perfectly!

Look up! :lol:
You'd think it would be that simple, given the sign's iconic status. It is portrayed like this omnipresent entity, visible from any point in the city.

During several visits to Hollywood and Los Angeles, I found myself constantly looking for the Hollywood sign but more often than not I was unable to find it.

I don't want to get your daughter's hopes up unduly, but I think there is a slight chance that she can see the sign. My office is in downtown LA and we can see the sign from where we are (not far from Staples Center). The trick will be to get a clear view and not be blocked by buildings. She might want to sit in the lounge car and look to the northwest (if i have my directions correct) as the train pulls into or out of Union Station.

It takes only an hour to see the sign, so you may still be able to fit it in, especially if the SL comes in early. Walk downstairs to the Metro Red Line. Take it to Hollywood and Highland (about 20-25 minutes). When you exit the station, walk up the stairs to your left, into the Hollywood and Highland center. You can get a decent view from there, then turn around and take the Red Line back to LAUS. Couldn't be easier!

It takes only an hour to see the sign, so you may still be able to fit it in, especially if the SL comes in early. Walk downstairs to the Metro Red Line. Take it to Hollywood and Highland (about 20-25 minutes). When you exit the station, walk up the stairs to your left, into the Hollywood and Highland center. You can get a decent view from there, then turn around and take the Red Line back to LAUS. Couldn't be easier!
While true, don't know if you'll have time between the scheduled arrival of the Sunset at 8:40am and the departure of the Starlight at 10:15am.

Don't let that discourage you from looking though. On a good day you can see it from 20-30 miles away if you know where to look.

Is there any questions too trivial for her? The girls are counting down the days for their "best trip ever", and we have spent most of our time reading posts and looking at pics. (Not Packing!)

Once you get near the Burbank airport area, look to the south (right side of train) and you'll see some hills with a big radio tower on top. You're looking at the north side of Griffith Park, and the Hollywood sign is just on the other side of the hill. You can see that tower in lots of photos of the sign.

The Red Line is really easy but I'd agree, if your trains aren't running way early, it'd be cutting it too close timewise.

Enjoy your trip :)

Boo in L.A.

Once you get near the Burbank airport area, look to the south (right side of train) and you'll see some hills with a big radio tower on top. You're looking at the north side of Griffith Park, and the Hollywood sign is just on the other side of the hill. You can see that tower in lots of photos of the sign.

The Red Line is really easy but I'd agree, if your trains aren't running way early, it'd be cutting it too close timewise.

Enjoy your trip :)

Boo in L.A.

That is Mt. Lee. Home to a lot of communications gear.

If you're coming in on the SL, and IF it's a REALLY clear day, look up just to the right (north) of downtown, and you should be able to see the sign just beyond LA City Hall (the famous ziggurat-topped building)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back