My Day 1 of The Gathering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty.

OBS Chief
For me, today started by waking up, being dressed, and packing the last stray items by 5:40 am to take the cab to the 7-Eleven at Lemay Ferry and Meramec Bottom. I got a Mtn Dew Livewire to use the rest of the money on a gift card I had, then walked a short distance and crossed the street to the stop. Got off at the weekend's base of operations, Civic Center.

Screwed around on MetroLink a bit, and randomly got off at Convention Center. Tripped over something (my own feet, I'd imagine. I was wearing my taller heeled black shoes) and went down. Only think majorly hurt was my purse, but I "fixed" it by tying the two straps together since they both broke on the same side. At the time I was more relieved that I fell face-first and hadn't ruined my new computer so soon after getting it.

After that, I went to Union Station to walk around some and locate where the Megabus stop is for when I need it. I achieved that goal about 7:20, and headed back to Civic Center. I met the people that were here already and received a fez from Whooz. Lost my Metro pass sometime before this point, so I bought another before the 32 bus came to take us to see the Challenger steam locomotive. I got pictures of it, a new shot glass for my collection, and a hacky sack (yes, because it was orange, though according to the person that rang me up orange is the most popular color of the ones they stock).

After seeing the Challenger and while waiting for a few people that weren't done yet, I changed from my tall shoes to my work shoes that I had packed.

Next was the Arch... for everyone else, anyway. Aside from a more general lack of interest in this case, I don't like heights. Spent my time there hanging out with GG-1, and later, Pennyk for a bit. Eventually pulled out the computer and tried uploading the pictures as they were at the time, but the free wifi wasn't in the mood for that so the uploads failed.

Then it was back to Union Station for lunch. I got a California Chicken from Charley's with fries and a raspberry tea to eat. Later, while killing time before it was time to hit the whole Metrolink system, I looked at the museum and got distracted by The Candy Station.

The group riding the Metrolink system together was fun, except the part where those stupid girls were with us. I'm so glad they got off after only a few stops, I was getting quite annoyed at them but not in a mood to call the cops or security :/ I mean, c'mon, I had my iPod on anyway because I had a song stuck in my head that needed to get out... But being so shrill and loud that I need to put both earbuds in, and turn it to near full volume? No.

My camera died before hitting Shiloh-Scott when I was trying to recreate my CTA set for Metrolink, and at first I was using my phone for pictures but quit doing it before too long, even before we hit the rush hour of commuters.

The Old Spaghetti Factory was nice. I got the toasted ravioli as my meal instead of an appetizer because even with a fridge and microwave in my room, I didn't want to have leftover food - Especially considering I have a half hour Metrolink ride plus airport shuttle time. For my drink I had the Italian cream soda, and it's because I'm not used to them, but I didn't even think of mixing the orange and the cream together and started drinking them separately.

Left Old Spaghetti Factory with Alice, Whooz, and Saxman. We made a pit stop at Civic Center so Saxman could get his stuff, then we were back on our way toward Lambert to get to our hotels.

I got to my hotel about 11, and only now that I'm done with this report of events am I truly ready to go to bed... Only about a half hour late compared to when I wanted to lay down. I'll go copy this into an AU post then shut up and go to bed for about the next time hours. Pictures will be forthcoming because I need to edit them so I can fit as many as I can into the limits of a free Flickr account.

Day 2! (and again, now to get some sleep)

Today started later than I intended. My alarms were set in 15 minute intervals between 6 and 6:30 and I attempted to set the hotel clock for 6:30 as a backup. Didn't work so well, as I woke up at 6:47. Good thing my wakeup routine isn't so complicated and I had today's clothes laid out. I made it downstairs a few minutes after 7 and grabbed a coffee while they summoned an airport shuttle for me. The coffee I grabbed was just cool enough that I managed to finish it about a minute before the Metrolink got to me.

I wish I remembered the dude's name that was driving, because even though he was a bit of a speed demon, he was nice and dropped me off at the stop sign near the Terminal 2 Metrolink station. I got to Gateway Station technically on time to discover we were already pre-boarding. Yes, I was glad that I printed my tickets for the weekend already due to my lousy timing. Got a picture of train 311 while walking to the platform. Mainly because I could, but also partially because the River Runner I'm on is longer that usual because Oktoberfest is going on in Hermann. I started out taking pictures and recognizing places till about Pacific (Six Flags St. Louis, primarily), where I lost interest. A lot of people were trackside between St. Louis and about Hermann, watching. Some had video cameras, too. I'd imagine mainly because the Challenger is going to come by those stations later today, but I don't know for sure, it could have partially been us, lol. A few minutes ago I heard someone say that a person that couldn't make The Gathering missed the secondary meetup at St. Louis, but that she ended up getting to Kirkwood to film us... I think pulling out, if I remember correctly... Oh, Alan just came by and handed like everyone a bag that has cool old Amtrak stuff in it. Then he went back through and handed out Northeast Corridor timecards. The cards expire soon, technically, but they're still nice-looking.

I admit it, I've been slacking on being chatty on this train at least as bad as I've been yesterday. For some reason, it's enough for me to merely be riding the train with people I know. Maybe it's because I don't seem to have much of profanity filter coupled with a... fear(?) that I'll say the epically wrong thing, but aside from me singing to my iPod or the music in my head, I'm quiet, and I tend to be OK with that. It's not like I like how my voice sounds when it's not in work mode... I swear, it goes up a minimum of an octave when I'm at work and in the drive-thru.

(4:09 pm)

I totaled up my milage to add earlier because I was curious. For the weekend as a whole, the additional miles will be 886, with 566 going to the STL-KCY roundtrip and the other 320 going to the STL-BNL round trip tomorrow.

Kansas City was nice, though I admit I got my Panera and got the hell back to Union Station with my food. I probably could've ate there and topped my soda off before leaving but I didn't want to risk getting back right at pre-board time like this morning. Glad I didn't get BBQ with the majority of the others. I don't like it, and it seemed to turn into a minor fiasco. I was briefly tempted to get something for one of my collections that said Kansas City on it, but I want to try to be able to afford a cab home tomorrow, so I can stay for dinner on Sunday. That's the main thing that's helping me avoid temptations like "shiny things" for my collections and stuff from the cafe car. I imagine it'll be technically doable, but I'll be eating about as cheap as I can and pay with my credit card, I bet.

(8:38 pm)

Tom did a drawing for a copy of the July 1969 edition of The Official Guide of the Railways, and I ended up winning it. :D I will probably read it some a time or two, but I have to admit it will ultimately end up on Ebay to go to a real collector. My primary interest in Amtrak is getting where I need to go, at least at this point in time. I might keep the other stuff, at least for now.

(12:37 am)

After the drawing, things were uneventful in my opinion. Even with listening to GG-1 talking about things randomly, my comp and ipod got borderline on battery, and my phone would've died if i hadn't taken to turning the thing off between Foursquare updates. Got in 20 minutes early, and took the Red Line back with Alice, Whooz, and Saxman. Debated on getting a sandwich from Great American Bagel but decided against it, at least for the moment. Might still get one on the way back to Civic Center though.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Thanks for posting the trip report so quickly! great to meet you (and everyone else!), still laughing about the "bad girls" that got on the train by the airport, I had to sit next to the wildest one and didnt have any music or headphones to cover the noise, lucky you! What a joy that we all could share this fantastic time! Keep on keeing on! ;) Jim

I'd rather forget MY day 1 of the Gathering (at least the morning)!
sad.gif
Most in STL know about it - but it will be in my trip report, when I get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back