My First Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AnthonyM

My partner & I decided to do our first rail trip back from New York to San Francisco that has morphed into the following holiday. I hope our first train adventure will be a lot of fun.

Los Angeled - New Orleans, Sunset Ltd E

4 Nights

New Orleans - New York, The Crescent B

3 Nights

New York - Chicago, Lake Shore Ltd B

Chicago - San Francisco, Cal. Zephyr D

I have been reading things to take like, duct tape for squeaks! I'm taking glasses for cocktails in the room before dinner. Champagne for our very first rail departure in Los Angeles. What other secrets should we know? We are quite excited because we have never done this before and I want to make sure we have a great holiday. We even watched The Silver Streak the other night..... :) I know not to expect the Martini bar or murder onboard!

Anthony

Last edited:
Yay!

Hope you two enjoy your trip, Anthony!

I took my partner, Eric on his first LD trip last summer on the Empire Builder to Montana, and he enjoyed it!

Looks like you built in enough time between ride just in case the train run late.

Throw out the watch, and just enjoy the country!

I didn't bring duct tape on our trip! LOL I'd rather save it for someone else. :)

My partner & I decided to do our first rail trip back from New York to San Francisco that has morphed into the following holiday. I hope our first train adventure will be a lot of fun.

4 Nights

3 Nights

I have been reading things to take like, duct tape for squeaks! I'm taking glasses for cocktails in the room before dinner. Champagne for our very first rail departure in Los Angeles. What other secrets should we know? We are quite excited because we have never done this before and I want to make sure we have a great holiday. We even watched The Silver Streak the other night..... :) I know not to expect the Martini bar or murder onboard!

Anthony

What does all the E, B, etc. mean? I would guess room numbers, but just want to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are quite excited because we have never done this before and I want to make sure we have a great holiday.
I think the number one thing to remember about Amtrak is it's not like any other form of travel. That can be both a blessing and a curse. When things go really well they can be far more rewarding than just any old random flight or road trip, but when they go bad there can also be far fewer options for getting things back on track. That's why the number one piece of advice I can give is to be as easy going as possible. Don't expect airline efficiency or Orient Express luxury or private car flexibility. You're rolling the dice on everything from your attendant's attitude to the food quality to the timekeeping, but that's actually part of the fun if you ask me. Put your watch away, kick your feet up, and let the whim of the universe take over for a while. Maybe it will be the best trip you've ever had. Maybe it will be the worst trip you've always feared. Whatever it is you'll at least have a new story to share, and sometimes that's the best part of all! ^_^

Tips I would offer would be:

Bring your own snacks especially if you are a fussy eater or have special dietery needs. Check the snack car menus and dining menus online to make sure you like the options.

Bring mp3 players, laptops, dvd players, cards, etc. to buy your time if you get tired of looking at the scenery or at night. If your bored it may help pass the time faster.

Dress comfortable and wear layers. I have never been in a sleeper but I have found changes in climate may make things hotter or colder.

Sign up for Amtrak guest rewards and sign up for an AGR credit card so you can earn more travel on Amtrak.

Get help with your bags from a red cap. I have never been to Chicago but New York is a madhouse.

Duct tape - maybe. I brought a whole pile of stuff like this for my first trip, and none of it by the second. I've needed some of this stuff, but found most of it onboard from an attendant or other passengers. For example, stuffing kleenex into any rattling parts stops the squeaks as well as anything, and that's free onboard. I have found that the larger your bedroom, the more squeaks & problems you'll find, so being in a bedroom you'll probably find a few things here or there. The one thing I had a really hard time tracking down onboard was a screwdriver. On my next trip I'm planning on bringing a foot or so of duct tape wrapped around a flathead screwdriver.

We just got back from a Minneapolis to Miami, with stops in Chicgao and Washington DC. If you like movies, you may want to bring some with, at night you can't see out the window. Magazines and books.

We were lucky and all went smooth for our 1st Amtrak round trip, Don't be surprised if you do run into rude staff, and be happy when you find those wonderful staff, they make up for the rude ones.

Talk with folks, enjoy the dinners with others it is a blast to visit with your table mates as the conversation is always new and interesting.

Most of all have fun and relax, you will enjoy it.

Duct tape - maybe. I brought a whole pile of stuff like this for my first trip, and none of it by the second. I've needed some of this stuff, but found most of it onboard from an attendant or other passengers. For example, stuffing kleenex into any rattling parts stops the squeaks as well as anything, and that's free onboard. I have found that the larger your bedroom, the more squeaks & problems you'll find, so being in a bedroom you'll probably find a few things here or there. The one thing I had a really hard time tracking down onboard was a screwdriver. On my next trip I'm planning on bringing a foot or so of duct tape wrapped around a flathead screwdriver.
Better to bring one of those inexpensive 4 or 5 way screwdrivers - with 2 sizes of slot and Phillips tips.

I always have one of those and a pair of mini vice-grips in my bag where ever I go - and a knife. Much more useful (to me) tool set than a Leatherman or other multi-tool. I am not a gear-head, but need those tools with me in that my work life consists of using various hand tools every day and it is amazing how often I can fix something IF I have a simple tool or two with me.

4 Nights

3 Nights

Anthony

What does all the E, B, etc. mean? I would guess room numbers, but just want to confirm.
I am guessing they are the car and room numbers.

I never bring anything like duct tape, etc., and have never needed it.

If you don't mind drinking from plastic glasses, there's not need to bring glasses for cocktails as there are plastic cups provided in the sleepers for your convenience.

Lots of good advice above. The dress in layers--although amtrak claims individual temp control, not true. I have short sleeve, long sleeve and flannel shirt. I have TWO pieces of luggage, the regular suitcase and the stuff I'll need on the train. That way I can leave suitcase in luggage storage on first floor (always accessible to you if you need it) and just operate out of the small bag in room. B is a bedroom (they are letters) so you have your own toilet and shower. Amtrak provides towels. Talk to people--the dining car is community seating so you'll meet people there. I load my phone with audio books, love them and can still look out the window. I also have a small spiral notebook I bring on my train trips and keep a little journal. I also write down the name of the SCA (sleeping car attendant) on my ticket stub. I like to give compliments when earned on the Amtrak FB page, or here, or even write to Amtrak.

I also start collecting singles before (or go to bank and get singles) for tips. Remember even though food is free, you should tip as if you were paying. Also tipping red caps, SCA, etc. Several cities have first class lounges of some type, best I think is Chicago's (and tip the storage room guy if you use it). Washington is good - I tipped the guy who checked me in because he took and stored my bag and coat for me even though it is open to the public. I am a senior and limp and he was very helpful.

There is single electric outlet in room (at least in roomette which I use) so you can charge your electronics, one at a time.

I think the best advice given you from these people is RELAX. Things happen. Equipment is old and breaks. Freight gets priority so schedules slip. Based on my experience Amtrak has always helped out when connections were missed for THEIR fault. Your trip looks wonderful. Enjoy.

[Moderator's note]

I have removed the car numbers from the above post and quotes for the passenger's security! When posting in an open forum (like this one which can be found by Googling the subject), please refrain from posting your car numbers - for your own security!

For bad noise - Earplugs.

For bad smells - some Vicks to rub under the nose.

The rest can usually be managed by bringing the right attitude!

There is single electric outlet in room (at least in roomette which I use) so you can charge your electronics, one at a time.
If you have more than 1 thing to charge - or even if you don't - you may want to bring a 4 or 6 foot power trip or extension cord with multiple outlets! In the roomettes, the plug is behind your head when seated. In the bedrooms, the plug is near the door - away from the place you may need to use it! And if 2 people want to use the 1 plug, 1 person is out of luck!

I find that carrying a power strip is invaluable!
cool.gif

[Moderator's note]

I have removed the car numbers from the above post and quotes for the passenger's security! When posting in an open forum (like this one which can be found by Googling the subject), please refrain from posting your car numbers - for your own security!
It's not really a problem, since the dates that he is traveling aren't posted.

I've re-edited my posts with random car numbers to illustrate how the train number is a part of the car number.

In my opinion, the best part of an Amtrak trip is the powerful locomotive, and been able to see the land, plus good comfort and long ride as a side.

Power strip & duct tape are indispensible.

I have a cheap pair of unpowered acoustic speakers - nice for playing or streming music in your room without having headphones in all the time.

USA Today stuffed into doors usually shuts them up, but the duct tape does help keep the strip in place, the paper out of the way, and any errant doors (closet/etc) shut.

Just bring a good book, and have fun.

Instead of a power strip, I usually bring an extension cord with an end like this:

extension-cords-ul-006.jpg

Less bulk than a power strip and easier to fit in a bag.
Unless one has a grounded device (most cell phone chargers and CPAP machines are not), the extra bulk of even that cord is overkill. I use a simple low current (lamp type cord) extension with 3 outlets, each facing a different direction. It then allows me to connect up to 3 devices since they don't bump into each other.. There are similar ones with grounded plug/outlets. For our trips to Europe, I just put an adapter in the wall outlet with the extension plugged in to it and I then had 3 240V connections with US plugs. Since almost all chargers/devices these days (check before using) are 120/240V, it has never been a problem.

Much lighter and smaller when carrying around the typical ton of junk.

I wished I had duct-tape on my short trip to Richmond a while ago. The cabin door kept sliding shut when I wanted it open, and kept sliding open when I went to dinner. A little duct-tape would have kept that from happening. You can tell the seasoned travelers as I remember walking to the dining car and seeing doors duct-taped shut. Either they were seasoned travelers, or visitors to this forum. :giggle:

I wished I had duct-tape on my short trip to Richmond a while ago. The cabin door kept sliding shut when I wanted it open, and kept sliding open when I went to dinner. A little duct-tape would have kept that from happening. You can tell the seasoned travelers as I remember walking to the dining car and seeing doors duct-taped shut. Either they were seasoned travelers, or visitors to this forum. :giggle:
I bought a small roll of gaffers tape to take on trips, and have used it too. The gaffers tape is stickier, but doesn't leave that sticky residue that duct tape tends to leave behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back