My Interview with Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
Well, I got my interview with Amtrak in NYC this week.

It went pretty well actually and they'll hopefully get back to me in a week.

I can say it was tough in the fact they used the "Panel" Interview which is basically an interrogation by 4 people.

I'm very happy in my current position now, but I feel I can make a major contribution to Amtrak, so I'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

I wanna get a job with Amtrak in a few years, I dont know what I want to be though. Engineer was always a dream of mine but after reading pretty much nothing but bad stories about being one, hmm maybe I should opt for something else.

Maybe working on the Genesis units over in Rensslaer?! That would be cool!

P40Power said:
I wanna get a job with Amtrak in a few years, I dont know what I want to be though.  Engineer was always a dream of mine but after reading pretty much nothing but bad stories about being one, hmm maybe I should opt for something else.
Maybe working on the Genesis units over in Rensslaer?!  That would be cool!
Well I tried to volunteer down here in at the Atlanta Amtrak station a few months ago to wash the windows on the Crescent when it came in for its station stop. I was informed that they cant even except volunteers right now, they told me to check back in about 6 months.

But Engineer has always been something I would like to do to! :D

They had a claims rep position open a few weeks ago so I applied for it.

It's very similar to what I do now which is Internal Auditing for a Government Contractor.

I love my current job, but when I saw the position open for Amtrak I jumped right at it since it's my goal to work for them.

I don't know if they interview for all their positions in the same manner, but mine was grueling. Four interviewers shooting questions at you, one after another.

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope I get it! :)

Well i go to take the test today. Hope that i get thru it

does any body know what to look for.

P40Power said:
I wanna get a job with Amtrak in a few years, I dont know what I want to be though.  Engineer was always a dream of mine but after reading pretty much nothing but bad stories about being one, hmm maybe I should opt for something else.
Maybe working on the Genesis units over in Rensslaer?!  That would be cool!
Well I tried to volunteer down here in at the Atlanta Amtrak station a few months ago to wash the windows on the Crescent when it came in for its station stop. I was informed that they cant even except volunteers right now, they told me to check back in about 6 months.

But Engineer has always been something I would like to do to! :D
Since the Crescent is in the station only 25-30 minutes, I don't know how many windows you would expect to get washed, but with the size of the platform and the activities with off-loading and loading, I don't see how you would expect to have the room to get anything done. Do you have professional window washing equipment?

Why Volunteer to wash windows when you can get paid to be a station agent? Haha, I know if only it were that simple. But seriously, I'm sure they have openings for various positions that open up. I'm not sure how hard it is to get a job as a station agent, but I remember seeing a guy collecting trash from the dining car (all those plastic plates and cups!) last time I rode the crescent, he was in his early 20's I'd say, and how do i put this nicely, he didnt appear to be the normal "Amtrak Professional." I'd say you would definately have a shot at a job like that, and I'm thinking it comes available quite frequently.

Well i go to take the test today. Hope that i get thru it does any body know what to look for.
Best of luck to you on the test, I've been through the same - I'm sure someone from Amtrak will call you soon to tell you that you have passed the test and everything is wonderful. One word of caution - do everything you can to make sure you can go back to your former employer if needed and DO NOT cancel your current medical insurance. I went through the testing and training, put in over 16-19 hours per day onboard only to receive a FedEx letter that my application was disapproved. Don't expect to be able to conact your Amtrak managers or the Union reps - they won't return your calls. Please do your research into Amtrak ahead of time, I wish I did. I don't want to discourage you or offend anyone else on this website. While I loved my job with Amtrak, I'm now unemployed and my family is uninsured and don't want to see it happen to anyone else.

Best of luck to you on the test, I've been through the same - I'm sure someone from Amtrak will call you soon to tell you that you have passed the test and everything is wonderful. One word of caution - do everything you can to make sure you can go back to your former employer if needed and DO NOT cancel your current medical insurance. I went through the testing and training, put in over 16-19 hours per day onboard only to receive a FedEx letter that my application was disapproved. Don't expect to be able to conact your Amtrak managers or the Union reps - they won't return your calls. Please do your research into Amtrak ahead of time, I wish I did. I don't want to discourage you or offend anyone else on this website. While I loved my job with Amtrak, I'm now unemployed and my family is uninsured and don't want to see it happen to anyone else.
I really feel sorry for you. It sounds like you honestly wanted the job. Sometimes just one person can get someone "turned on their references" as we used to call it. There used to be a 60 day probationary period and I'm assuming you were let go during that trial period. It sounds like you will have no trouble finding another position with your spunk. Good luck; Amtrak could use more people like you.

I really feel sorry for you. It sounds like you honestly wanted the job. Sometimes just one person can get someone "turned on their references" as we used to call it. There used to be a 60 day probationary period and I'm assuming you were let go during that trial period. It sounds like you will have no trouble finding another position with your spunk. Good luck; Amtrak could use more people like you.

Thanks for your very kind response and insight. Hopefully someday my application will be reconsidered and I'll have the good fortune of being assigned to the New Orleans route and have the opportunity to thank you in person. Thanks again!

(edited to fix quote - AmtrakWPK)

Last edited:

receive a FedEx letter that my application was disapproved.
I was wondering if they gave you a reason why it was disapproved? I had an experience once where I received a letter stating my application was denied. I called the company to ask why and they said it was because I was earning more money than their job. When I told them I was willing to take a pay cut, they set up an interview.

I want to work for the railroads (any will do lol) in a few years when my contract with the Navy is up, hopefully as an engineer. I was just wondering if the railroads were likely to hire a former military man with a pretty good level of technical knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back