My longest trip yet

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
I've been managing to take Amtrak home to CA from Cleveland every Christmas for the past two years. This year, I'm flying out and taking Amtrak back. I'll have a friend with me who has never been on Amtrak before (let alone out West). We will be leaving from SLO on New Year's Eve, connecting to the Empire Builder in Portland then the LSL in Chicago. But of course NOW I'm reading about the possibility of being bussed if the Coast Starlight is running late. Any idea how often this happens? And bussed from where to where? Also, what sort of ontime record is there for the eastbound EB getting into Chicago? We have bedrooms all the way and I'd hate to end up in Coach the next day - as well as have to take an extra vacation day. What sort of recourse is there if we end up on a train the next day instead? If there are no bedrooms, which is what I'm sure would happen, would we be refunded any difference?

Thank you!

The busing situation on the CS has been to bus passengers from Klamath Falls, Oregon to Pasco, WA and meet the EB eastbound there. That would happen if it is determined that the CS would not reach Portland in time to make the EB connection.

One way to avoid that possibility is to ride the CS to Seattle or arrange for an overnight in Portland so that a direct connection would not force the busing situation.

As a fellow Ohio resident, it is, of course, nice to have two trains each day stopping in CLE. This might alleviate some of your fears re: missing a connection or not having a bedroom available on the eastbound CL or LSL if the EB is delayed. But at Christmas time both trains are usually full and so you still might not have a sleeper on either train. It is likely that as long as coach seats are available, Amtrak will put you on the train to CLE and issue a refund of your sleeper fares or AGR points.

The busing situation on the CS has been to bus passengers from Klamath Falls, Oregon to Pasco, WA and meet the EB eastbound there. That would happen if it is determined that the CS would not reach Portland in time to make the EB connection.

One way to avoid that possibility is to ride the CS to Seattle or arrange for an overnight in Portland so that a direct connection would not force the busing situation.

As a fellow Ohio resident, it is, of course, nice to have two trains each day stopping in CLE. This might alleviate some of your fears re: missing a connection or not having a bedroom available on the eastbound CL or LSL if the EB is delayed. But at Christmas time both trains are usually full and so you still might not have a sleeper on either train. It is likely that as long as coach seats are available, Amtrak will put you on the train to CLE and issue a refund of your sleeper fares or AGR points.
Unfortunately, with the tickets already booked and vacation time earmarked, there's no changing it now. I will just hope for the best. So far, all of my Amtrak trips have been almost completely uneventful, or even if they were delayed it was on a leg where there were no more connections to be made. Fingers crossed all will be well!

Thank you!

Depending on how late the CS is, the bussing may be different. I was delayed beyond KFS, so they bussed the connecting passengers from Albany (OR) to Portland! And they held the EB for the short delay!

Depending on how late the CS is, the bussing may be different. I was delayed beyond KFS, so they bussed the connecting passengers from Albany (OR) to Portland! And they held the EB for the short delay!
The K-Falls - Pasco bus only is when the train is REALLY late. There is a big pad (polite term: recovery time) into Portland, so most of the time they make the connection, and they'll hold the EB for a bit, too, or do a shorter bridging bus out of Eugene or Albany.

The Starlight timekeeping is much better than it was a few years ago. Three or four years ago or so, they made the K-Falls - Pasco bus the ONLY legal connection. When the Starlight's timekeeping improved, they reinstated the Portland connection.

Any same day connection off a long distance train is a risk, but this connection now is relatively reliable. But, as with anything Amtrak, YMMV.

The K-Falls - Pasco bus only is when the train is REALLY late. There is a big pad (polite term: recovery time) into Portland, so most of the time they make the connection, and they'll hold the EB for a bit, too, or do a shorter bridging bus out of Eugene or Albany.

The Starlight timekeeping is much better than it was a few years ago. Three or four years ago or so, they made the K-Falls - Pasco bus the ONLY legal connection. When the Starlight's timekeeping improved, they reinstated the Portland connection.

Any same day connection off a long distance train is a risk, but this connection now is relatively reliable. But, as with anything Amtrak, YMMV.
Thank you all! Fingers crossed this works out. Either way, at least I see Pasco again (it's my Mom's home town - spent every Summer growing up in the Tri-Cities!). I just want my friend coming with me to have the best train experience ever since it's her first time on Amtrak. We have bedrooms on all three legs of the trip!

PS - YMMV? Your Mileage May Vary?

One other question - I've just read that if you're in a Sleeper on the Eastbound EB out of Portland, your Sleeper ends up at the back of the train when connecting with the Seattle train in Spokane? So that means we'll have to go through all the Coach cars and Lounge Car to get up to the Diner?

So that means we'll have to go through all the Coach cars and Lounge Car to get up to the Diner?
Yup. Makes getting to the Parlor Car for wine tasting much more difficult. Although it might be a tougher journey on the way back from wine tasting.

So that means we'll have to go through all the Coach cars and Lounge Car to get up to the Diner?
Yup. Makes getting to the Parlor Car for wine tasting much more difficult. Although it might be a tougher journey on the way back from wine tasting.

Wine tasting is in the Dining Car on the EB, not the Parlor Car but yes, you may be stumbling back. :rolleyes:

I was in the Portland sleeper, I liked it back there, no through traffic and I enjoy walking the train.

Yup. Makes getting to the Parlor Car for wine tasting ...
Wine tasting is in the Dining Car on the EB, not the Parlor Car but yes, you may be stumbling back.

I was in the Portland sleeper, I liked it back there, no through traffic ...
Yes, that's right, wine tasting on EB is on Dining Car. Guess I ride the CS too frequently. [is it possible to ride any LD train too frequently?]

Had a great hostess [bonnie] on my most recent EB eastbound wine tasting, earlier this month. Didn't have much participation from the Portland sleeper. Woohoo, more fun for the rest of us. My partner managed to answer the correct trivia question so we could snarf the remnants of the bottle for the one wine I liked.

It was a quiet train trip all around. On the CS segment in late October, our Parlor Car attendant called it a ghost train. Were on the EB on Halloween - no ghosts then, but still a quiet trip with not that much passenger/passenger activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, maybe I'll get the hang of formatting and previewing eventually. Above should have been:

Yup. Makes getting to the Parlor Car for wine tasting ...
Wine tasting is in the Dining Car on the EB, not the Parlor Car but yes, you may be stumbling back.

I was in the Portland sleeper, I liked it back there, no through traffic ...
Yes, that's right, wine tasting on EB is on Dining Car. Guess I ride the CS too frequently.

(Is it possible to ride any LD train too frequently?)

Had a great hostess [bonnie] on my most recent EB eastbound wine tasting, earlier this month. Didn't have much participation from the Portland sleeper. Woohoo, more fun for the rest of us. My partner managed to answer the correct trivia question so we could snarf the remnants of the bottle for the one wine I liked.

It was a quiet train trip all around. On the CS segment in late October, our Parlor Car attendant called it a ghost train. Were on the EB on Halloween - no ghosts then, but still a quiet trip with not that much passenger/passenger activity.

Wine tasting is in the Dining Car on the EB, not the Parlor Car but yes, you may be stumbling back. :rolleyes:

I was in the Portland sleeper, I liked it back there, no through traffic and I enjoy walking the train.
I never thought about the fact that we'll have less traffic in our Sleeper. Plus I guess that means we have the added bonus of being able to take pictures out of the back of the car, too! I was more worried about getting past everyone to get to the Diner.

This will be my first time on the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. Cannot wait! Also, what a way for a rail fan to spend New Year's Eve - in the Pacific Parlour Car!

BTW - where is the Pacific Parlour Car in relation to the sleepers on the CS?

Last edited by a moderator:
One other question - I've just read that if you're in a Sleeper on the Eastbound EB out of Portland, your Sleeper ends up at the back of the train when connecting with the Seattle train in Spokane? So that means we'll have to go through all the Coach cars and Lounge Car to get up to the Diner?
Yes, you will be in the last car.

The one time I rode the EB Eastbound, I really enjoyed that last car - the rear window is a special place on trains, you don't often get to look out of it - it is a cool place to hang out, especially when going through the mountains.

You do not have anybody back there except others in that one car - nobody passing through.

The walk forward is not a problem at all unless you are disabled in some way. And someone from the dining car still comes back there to take your dinner reservations ... in fact I think they start at the rear of the train and go forward, so you get first pick of times...

Yes, you will be in the last car.

The one time I rode the EB Eastbound, I really enjoyed that last car - the rear window is a special place on trains, you don't often get to look out of it - it is a cool place to hang out, especially when going through the mountains.

You do not have anybody back there except others in that one car - nobody passing through.
During most of the year that is true, but at peak times and during the summer they run an extra coach between Chicago and Minneapolis. That extra car is attached to the rear of the train and those coach passengers have to walk through the sleeper to get any food.

A second problem is that unlike the Seattle side, the cafe car is in front of the Portland coaches, meaning that there is no buffer car between the sleeper & the coaches. So coach pax do sometimes wander into the sleeper. So in the Portland sleeper, extra care to not leave anything of value out in sight is a must!

The walk forward is not a problem at all unless you are disabled in some way. And someone from the dining car still comes back there to take your dinner reservations ... in fact I think they start at the rear of the train and go forward, so you get first pick of times...
Actually most LSA's vary things, starting in the Seattle sleepers for one meal and the Portland for the next. There was at least one LSA who always started in the Seattle sleepers, but I don't know if they're still working that train.

BTW - where is the Pacific Parlour Car in relation to the sleepers on the CS?
Didn't see anyone answer this -- it's between the sleepers and the dining car.
Thank you. Thought that maybe the PPC was up in front of the sleepers. Here's hoping we're able to be in the wine tasting that afternoon, even though we're getting on at SLO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back