My next LD trip questions and recommendations...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabrilloman

Service Attendant
Hey everyone! I have done a couple of long distance rides the last 2 years (CONO & CZ). The CONO was fun and the CZ was fantastic!

So for my next ride I am looking to do a loop. Saint Paul-Portland-Sacramento-Chicago-Saint Paul, or the other way around.

I will be traveling in late March 2014. Since I have seen the scenery on the CZ in both directions, my main question is, which direction (east or westbound) will give the best scenery on the Empire Builder in late March?

Thanks everyone!!!

I'd say the eastbound is a bit better for scenery SEA-CHI. Either way you get the Cascades between Stevens Pass and Everett, and the coast along Puget Sound. Eastbound better views of the Rockies by daylight from Whitefish east to Marias Pass . And a day later the eastbound runs along the Upper MIssissippi by daylight, but on the westbound it will be dark for that scenic stretch.

If you're doing a same day connection (which is according to what you posted), the CS/EB or EB/CS connection is in PDX and not SEA. If you want SEA, an overnight stay is required, as the westbound EB is scheduled to arrive a few minutes after the southbound CS departs. The other way is the same, as the northbound CS arrives in the evening and the eastbound EB in the afternoon.

To answer the question, it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. On the EB, the Columbia River Gorge (to/from PDX) or the Cascades Mountains crossing (to/from SEA) is daylight west and dark east, while the Glacier Park area is the opposite. The Mississippi River area is dark westbound and light eastbound.

I've done the CZ eastbound in March, and it remained light all the way into Denver, so both scenic areas are in daylight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree eastbound on the EB to maximize the great views in March--remembering it is still very much winter in the Rocky Mountains in Montana. The maximum snowpack occurs around April 1st. The stop at Essex, MT (Izaak Walton Inn) in March will likely see 50+ inches of snow on the level, maybe more if we have a snowy winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back