My spring break train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
For spring break I am planning to spend it on Amtrak. I am going from Chicago to Portland. Portland to LA. Going to spend the night in LA at my cousins. Then go from LA to Chicago VIA the Texas Eagle (the ride will be all coach). I am so excited. My question is what are so hygiene tips some of you might have. I don't want to be super stinky or anything.

I am going to bring baby wipes, and those kind of thing. Lots of deodorant and body sprays. What about my hair. How would I keep that from getting ew and stinky.

For personal entertainment. I am bringing my laptop, Nintendo DS, iPod, some DVDs, probably some puzzle books, and maybe some music.

Anything else I should know, feel free to leave some advice.

There are some things you should do to minimize getting "sticky and ew". You mentioned pretty much all of them. However, you are currently planning on spending 3 and a half days one way and 3 days the other way on a train in coach without a shower, and if you can change, its going to be in a cramped bathroom stall. You're gonna get sticky and pretty darned ew. Were I you, I'd book a roomette on the Texas Eagle for a few more bucks on the way back. You get three days worth of meals with that.

The Empire Builder and Coast Starlight are sorta the Flagships of Amtrak's fleet, and are priced accordingly.

There are some things you should do to minimize getting "sticky and ew". You mentioned pretty much all of them. However, you are currently planning on spending 3 and a half days one way and 3 days the other way on a train in coach without a shower, and if you can change, its going to be in a cramped bathroom stall. You're gonna get sticky and pretty darned ew. Were I you, I'd book a roomette on the Texas Eagle for a few more bucks on the way back. You get three days worth of meals with that.
The Empire Builder and Coast Starlight are sorta the Flagships of Amtrak's fleet, and are priced accordingly.

I think the upgrade was like 300 dollars which I don't have. I happen to be tiny. 5'8" and 115lbs so I can fit into places most people can't. I was planning on changing in the stalls or if I could find a "dressing room". When I rode the Empire builder from St. Paul to Chicago it had a dressing room. So I am hoping going there I have one.

When I get to my cousins I am going to take a mega shower for sure.

actually the upgrade is 400 dollars. yeah for a poor college student thats a bit much

Last edited by a moderator:
Then pick out some cheap short legs to upgrade.

I just checked a sample: #421 DRT-MHL (thats Del Rio, TX to Marshall, TX)

Only $109.00 - which gets you 2 dinners, one breakfast, one lunch, access to shower, place to sleep well which in San Antonio.

I would jump on that deal.

They might even let you keep you coach seat while upgraded.

It's been over a year since my last Amtrak trip and I'm hoping things haven't changed. At that time, and all the trips before then, there was a sizeable room for the ladies which, in addition to the toilet stall, had two sinks, two stools, a big mirror and even a small sofa. That gave plenty of room in which to change.

As far as cleanliness, you seem to have it nailed. I haven't found anything that helps with the hair.

As far as the laptop, nintendo, ipod, dvd's, books, music, that would be more than I'd want to carry, but then, I like to travel light. You might find yourself looking out the window and talking to people in the sightseer lounge more than using all the things you intend to pack.

Betty

There is a no rinse shampoo that works pretty good. You squirt it on your head, message a bit, and towel off. I've used it camping and backpacking. You can get it at camping stores like REI, Campmor, etc. and some drug stores. Here is a link for it at Amazon.

No Rinse Shampoo

They also make a no-rinse body wash that works good also.

I would sort of go with the idea of at least seeing what upgrades you might be able to afford on the last day of the Builder into Portland and the middle day of the TE. As has been mentioned, if you can work this to take advantage of the meals, you may find it worth it.

I'm as much a trooper as the next person, and have done a few overnights in coach, but 2 and 3 nights are really going to be pushing your own feeling of refreshed.

I once did MKE-CHI-LAX-SEA-VAC on the Hiawatha, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, and Thruway bus. It amounted to four nights, all in coach (Starlight was late into Seattle, so the bus to Vancouver wound up getting in at around 5 am). It's doable.

Those were the days.

I think part of the thing is that the female of the species is a little more concerned about personal cleanliness and appearance on average than the male. I don't mind spending 4 days and nights without showering or changing my outer clothing. (I do draw the line at underwear, though) Sometimes when busy and hectic that can sorta happen without me meaning to have it happen... :unsure:

I don't know if it is as doable for a female who values their cleanliness as the average male.

I think part of the thing is that the female of the species is a little more concerned about personal cleanliness and appearance on average than the male. I don't mind spending 4 days and nights without showering or changing my outer clothing. (I do draw the line at underwear, though) Sometimes when busy and hectic that can sorta happen without me meaning to have it happen... :unsure:
I don't know if it is as doable for a female who values their cleanliness as the average male.

I am going to look into the no rinse shampoo thing. I have gone a while w/out washing my hair before so I can do it. I just feel like people are all OMG she didn't wash her hair *** is wrong with her?. I can use body wipes to clean and all. I am worried about people sitting next to me thinking I smell too bad because I haven't washed my hair in a few days.

I am going to look into the no rinse shampoo thing. I have gone a while w/out washing my hair before so I can do it. I just feel like people are all OMG she didn't wash her hair *** is wrong with her?. I can use body wipes to clean and all. I am worried about people sitting next to me thinking I smell too bad because I haven't washed my hair in a few days.
I've used some spray-shampoo type stuff at festivals (my hair gets greasy quite quickly) - it's not great but it did make my hair feel (and look) better. The fact i brought it caused much amusement to my friends, until they wanted to borrow it that is, it's no substitute for a proper wash, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure what sorts there are, but the one i used you sprayed on then left it to try then brused it out.

I'd guess on the train other people won't have washed either, so provided you keep fairly clean and don't smell too much i'd not think it was a huge problem.

It depends what you're doing at the end of your journey too - if you can get to a shower soon you can just stick it out easier than if you have a full day ahead before you get to a shower.

I've not done overnight trains on Amtrak before (i am in march/april, but i've taken the easy option and gone for sleepers), but have done overnight here in the UK (in standard class (ie. coach) seating - they didn't even turn the lights down or off, so ther wasn't much sleep there), and once in Italy (in a sleeping compartment).

The other option for the hair is to bring a hat :)

Cheers

Chris

"I don't mind spending 4 days and nights without showering or changing my outer clothing. (I do draw the line at underwear, though.."

TMI! TMI! TMI!

:p

I am remembering here a time back in the early 90s aboard a train to Orlando. I think it was the Silver Meteor. My dad and I were in an old Heritage sleeper, and I am positive that at least one of the coaches was heritage also. Anyway, I wanted to see how "the other half lived" so to speak, so I went venturing, against my dads wishes, into coach. Now, I've got a fairly acute sense of smell, so it may have effected me more than most, but I remember to this day the stench of the first coach I walked into. Body odor was the main thing, I guess. But there were other things, some of them less pleasant. My point is, the California Zephyr is going to be loaded with people, a good percentage of which will smell bad. I doubt anyone would notice you in particular unless something in particular would cause for it to be otherwise. Also, every Amtrak train has this distinct smell to it, I can't describe it exactly, but all of them have it. Its quite powerful, to me anyway, and usually drowns out what other smells there are.

By the way, your name screen name intrigues me.

I am remembering here a time back in the early 90s aboard a train to Orlando. I think it was the Silver Meteor. My dad and I were in an old Heritage sleeper, and I am positive that at least one of the coaches was heritage also. Anyway, I wanted to see how "the other half lived" so to speak, so I went venturing, against my dads wishes, into coach. Now, I've got a fairly acute sense of smell, so it may have effected me more than most, but I remember to this day the stench of the first coach I walked into. Body odor was the main thing, I guess. But there were other things, some of them less pleasant. My point is, the California Zephyr is going to be loaded with people, a good percentage of which will smell bad. I doubt anyone would notice you in particular unless something in particular would cause for it to be otherwise. Also, every Amtrak train has this distinct smell to it, I can't describe it exactly, but all of them have it. Its quite powerful, to me anyway, and usually drowns out what other smells there are.

By the way, your name screen name intrigues me.

I hope I am not that smelling. I am very big on deodorant, and body sprays and those kind of things. I plan on buy some travel size ones for the trip. In Chicago and then probably once in LA. I'll hit a drug store after I have my chicken and waffles at Roscoes. I am actually mad I don't have more time for Spring Break, I'd love to spend more time with my cousin.

And the name is one I have used for a few years now. It's the first and middle name of a character a created for a role playing group I belonged too. It's my livejournal handle as well. I have been using it for about seven years now.

And the name is one I have used for a few years now. It's the first and middle name of a character a created for a role playing group I belonged too. It's my livejournal handle as well. I have been using it for about seven years now.
Now I am Curious as a friend is into role playing games. Witch Game?

Aloha - Mahalo

Eric

It is possible that you can wash your hair in the bathroom. I did wet my hair, so using shampoo is possible. However, I recommend to bring your towel along, as you would do for shaving. When you're done, PLEASE clean up the mess, thanks to tiny sink.

Now I am Curious as a friend is into role playing games. Witch Game?

Aloha - Mahalo

Eric

One based off of a TV show that is no longer on the air.

I was thinking about the same thing, when I was planning my trip. I wouldn't be able to take a shower fo 3 days in my trip to the West Coast and 3 days for the return trip. I was thinking about buying the no-rince shampoo, coz I need to wash my hair every day.

I am going to bring baby wipes, and those kind of thing. Lots of deodorant and body sprays. What about my hair. How would I keep that from getting ew and stinky.
In the days of yore, sponge baths were the accepted way for the slightly nutty railfan to lessen the stench while on epic rail adventures. I'd talk to a nurse or other caregiver for the bedridden. There's a lot of neat stay-clean stuff out there these days. The no-rinse shampoo mentioned in this thread does sound interesting -- wonder how well it works?

For personal entertainment. I am bringing my laptop, Nintendo DS, iPod, some DVDs, probably some puzzle books, and maybe some music.
Here's hoping you have the juice to power everything. A short multi-plug extension cord or power strip may prove helpful to you, especially in a Superliner coach with one outlet (that's partially blocked by a seat).

In the days of yore, sponge baths were the accepted way for the slightly nutty railfan to lessen the stench while on epic rail adventures. I'd talk to a nurse or other caregiver for the bedridden. There's a lot of neat stay-clean stuff out there these days. The no-rinse shampoo mentioned in this thread does sound interesting -- wonder how well it works?

Here's hoping you have the juice to power everything. A short multi-plug extension cord or power strip may prove helpful to you, especially in a Superliner coach with one outlet (that's partially blocked by a seat).

I am going to charge everything before I leave, and then use it when I need too. If I remember correctly the sightseeing car has some outlets. I'll use that to charge my phone, and all. My MacBook has awesome battery life. Much better than my HP laptop, which is so not coming on the trip. I figured I would only be using that stuff when it's dark and I can't see out the windows.

I am going to charge everything before I leave, and then use it when I need too. If I remember correctly the sightseeing car has some outlets. I'll use that to charge my phone, and all. My MacBook has awesome battery life. Much better than my HP laptop, which is so not coming on the trip. I figured I would only be using that stuff when it's dark and I can't see out the windows.
"Some outlets" is two, one upstairs in the center island and one downstairs high up on the wall in the seating section. There's generally a queue of anywhere from two to ten people waiting to charge their phones or laptops, at several hours a person.

I confess I've taken hour-long bathroom trips in coach to wash and change very slowly, and maybe read a book for a while, in the middle of the night while taking advantage of the shaving outlet in the bathroom I'm occupying to charge something.

If you brought a power strip and plugged it in upstairs in the sightseer car's island, I think you would be the hero of the train. I have no idea if the service crew would take issue with that, but the passengers will love you.

"Some outlets" is two, one upstairs in the center island and one downstairs high up on the wall in the seating section. There's generally a queue of anywhere from two to ten people waiting to charge their phones or laptops, at several hours a person.

I confess I've taken hour-long bathroom trips in coach to wash and change very slowly, and maybe read a book for a while, in the middle of the night while taking advantage of the shaving outlet in the bathroom I'm occupying to charge something.

If you brought a power strip and plugged it in upstairs in the sightseer car's island, I think you would be the hero of the train. I have no idea if the service crew would take issue with that, but the passengers will love you.

I think I will do that then. Shove it into my luggage. I probably won't end up playing my DS, I am just going to bring it just in case. My laptop will be ued so I can upload pictures or whatever if I need too. Other than, I plan on spending a majority of my time staring out the window and watching the world go by. Which is the point of this trip.

The only thing I am really worried about charging is my cell, because the battery on it sucks. I am hoping to get a new one before I leave, that will hopefully have a better battery.

I still think the better idea is to book a sleeper for only a portion of the trip. You are going to spend the money on food anyway, and if you eat in the Diner, that makes the deal even better. Nice shower, bed for a good night sleep ( especially overnight in SAS ) and no need for "no rinse shampoo", "baby wipes", etc ........

DRT-MHL 18MAR #422 only $145.00

(and that includes TWO dinners, one breakfast, one lunch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back