My Sunset Limited Master Plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willyvee

Train Attendant
Okay, I'll put the post back up, but take out some of the formatlity.

My plan is to:

Find 3 extra train sets (1 from the TE-CONO interlining, 1 from a possible CL-SWC interlining, and 1 from stimulus wreck repairs) and run the Sunset daily LAX-ORL. Take a couple more superliners from the wreck rebuilds and complete daily TE thru car service.

Give me your opinion, but please don't bash me, and if you want to say something negative, say it constructively and tell my why this plan sucks or whatever. Feel free to ask me questions, I'd love to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You assume that the equipment saved by interlining the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans is just sitting around somewhere waiting to be "located."

You assume that the equipment saved by interlining the Texas Eagle and City of New Orleans is just sitting around somewhere waiting to be "located."
That is one of the things I'm unsure of, and you're right, it probably isn't just sitting there waiting to be "located" like I said. But it has to be somewhere, maybe not as a whole train set, right?

Dont forget that Superliner sleepers are in demand, they just added a Denver sleeper to the CZ that runs CHI-DEN-CHI. The run through on the TE/CONO is good in theory but poor in actual practice, the trains are running with dirty cars/stinky bathrooms and these trains have been selling out! Even trains that normally dont sell out are running full/high bucket fares and rooms like the CL! Of course the SWC, EB,CS and Sunset Ltd. are all running full trains also! Maybe when all the wrecks and rehabs are done, and the daily CHI-LAX train is implemented consideration can be given to add ons to other routes! Remember that there is talk of making the Cardinal Superliner again also! Currently the only Superliner cars that there seems to be plenty of are CCCs which not too many folks like!

Speaking of the good old Sunset, according to several ticket agents in NOL (granted, not the best source) UP has approved daily service on the Sunset line. Apparently they are working on the schedule now. Here comes the stub train! :lol:

That is one of the things I'm unsure of, and you're right, it probably isn't just sitting there waiting to be "located" like I said. But it has to be somewhere, maybe not as a whole train set, right?
There isn't a train set sitting in CHI unused.

Speaking of the good old Sunset, according to several ticket agents in NOL (granted, not the best source) UP has approved daily service on the Sunset line. Apparently they are working on the schedule now. Here comes the stub train! :lol:
I'd hope that Amtrak had a good idea of the schedule before UP approved it. Knowing them, though, they might not have.

I'd hope that Amtrak had a good idea of the schedule before UP approved it. Knowing them, though, they might not have.
From what was told to me, the schedule is currently under negotiation. Maybe they gave UP a general idea as to when they want to run the trains.

If that is true then the major blockage preventing introduction of the daily Eagle to LAX and SAS - NOL day train has been removed. However, I have not been able to independently corroborate this rumor yet from any usually reliable source.

BTW, this issue of what equipment is available has been discussed in excruciating detail in the following thread and there is hardly anything that has been missed that is worthy of further discussion: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32828-a-different-sunseteagle-proposal/page__st__60

As for the so called Sunset East NOL - ORL, that will happen when either Congress or the states involved come up with grants to cover operating losses, and won't happen otherwise. Whichever way one cuts it, it will take two additional sets for overnight service, and there ain't those lying around anywhere, no matter how much one might wish there were.

"I Dreamed a Dream in Time Gone By when Hope was High and Life Worth Living.............." LOL.

I talked to the ticket agent here in Houston yesterday while picking up my tickets for a trip to Tacoma in August. She is a nice old lady and her opinion was......."I'll believe it when I see the train parked out there" as she pointed out the door to the tracks outside. Me too.

I don't know how well you "know Amtrak", but you are way off base.

Amtrak always presents the proposed schedule to any of the freights prior to opening negotiations with them - otherwise it would be time wasted, since none of the freights can approve any changes in time or days, unless they actually know the impact it will have on their operation. Think about it!

If that is true then the major blockage preventing introduction of the daily Eagle to LAX and SAS - NOL day train has been removed. However, I have not been able to independently corroborate this rumor yet from any usually reliable source.
I concur with Jishnu on this one. I can't get a confirmation out of any of my reliable sources, either. Or even one out of the easily excitable with possibilities but with reasonable access to real information.

Actually one response was more or less "I guess its possible, but I haven't heard a thing about it. And I usually hear about these things."

"I Dreamed a Dream in Time Gone By when Hope was High and Life Worth Living.............." LOL.

I talked to the ticket agent here in Houston yesterday while picking up my tickets for a trip to Tacoma in August. She is a nice old lady and her opinion was......."I'll believe it when I see the train parked out there" as she pointed out the door to the tracks outside. Me too.

Thanks for the music. Now I will be singing "Les Miz" all afternoon.

My plan is to:

Find 3 extra train sets (1 from the TE-CONO interlining, 1 from a possible CL-SWC interlining, and 1 from stimulus wreck repairs) and run the Sunset daily LAX-ORL. Take a couple more superliners from the wreck rebuilds and complete daily TE thru car service.

Give me your opinion, but please don't bash me, and if you want to say something negative, say it constructively and tell my why this plan sucks or whatever. Feel free to ask me questions, I'd love to answer them.
For a while, equipment for 29 and 3 and 4 and 30 operated thru WAS-LAX and passengers could occupy thru CHI ticketed as trains 15 and 16.

Last edited:
For what it is worth at least my contacts at NARP tell me that UP has not signed on the dotted line.

I don't know how well you "know Amtrak", but you are way off base.

Amtrak always presents the proposed schedule to any of the freights prior to opening negotiations with them - otherwise it would be time wasted, since none of the freights can approve any changes in time or days, unless they actually know the impact it will have on their operation. Think about it!
Thanks for pointing that out. I was kidding.

My plan is to:

I'm not going to bash~ I'd love to see the City run all the way to Miami~ but when Amtrak can't keep up with what's rolling on the rails right now I don't see where they could possible keep up with what you are proposing. I walked through # 59 the other day in NOL and it was dirty, smelly and in general a complete black eye to Amtrak. Can you imagine if they swung the Texas Eagle into a Miami bound train? The Board of Health would bustitute people for fear of a plague breaking out !#$%

My plan is to:

I'm not going to bash~ I'd love to see the City run all the way to Miami~ but when Amtrak can't keep up with what's rolling on the rails right now I don't see where they could possible keep up with what you are proposing. I walked through # 59 the other day in NOL and it was dirty, smelly and in general a complete black eye to Amtrak. Can you imagine if they swung the Texas Eagle into a Miami bound train? The Board of Health would bustitute people for fear of a plague breaking out !#$%
Interesting conversation yesterday with an agent at 1-800-USA-Rail...he stated that sunset east would return by february of next year as would a new route from Savannah to Atlanta....you gotta love it. (and I'll believe it when i see it)

My plan is to:

Interesting conversation yesterday with an agent at 1-800-USA-Rail...he stated that sunset east would return by february of next year as would a new route from Savannah to Atlanta....you gotta love it. (and I'll believe it when i see it)
I talked with (FB friend) a conductor on The Cardinal a few days ago who says that train will go daily sometime next year. Again, as he also said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back