Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12374_10200567768812934_1176775865_n.jpg
Cool -

Here's an active station...... photo taken within the past year.

Who can name it first?

Yes - Mendota, IL

And yes - taken using film. We had some old 35mm rolls sitting in a drawer that needed to be used up so that's what I took with me (and an old 35mm camera) when I went for a ride on the California Zephyr in February 2013. I was in roomette 10 in the last sleeper and had the railfan window right outside my door. Outside temperature was about 3 degrees.

The photos I wound up with were mostly mediocre but I got a few really nice ones. I scanned the prints so that I could juice the color a little and hide some shadows...... as well as dirt on the window..... a little bit.

FWIW - my avatar photo got the same treatment. It's a scan of a print taken on film of a special excursion train using Amtrak equipment descending Old Fort Mountain in Western North Carolina in the mid-1990's.

Your turn to post RRRick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - Mendota, IL

And yes - taken using film. We had some old 35mm rolls sitting in a drawer that needed to be used up so that's what I took with me (and an old 35mm camera) when I went for a ride on the California Zephyr in February 2013. I was in roomette 10 in the last sleeper and had the railfan window right outside my door. Outside temperature was about 3 degrees.

The photos I wound up with were mostly mediocre but I got a few really nice ones. I scanned the prints so that I could juice the color a little and hide some shadows...... as well as dirt on the window..... a little bit.

I couldn't tell if you were degrading the pixels too blur the station sign or not. I couldn't read the sign but the number of letters was right for Mendota plus the museum cars to the left were in my own photos. I missed your "cool" notation the first time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next station ! This might be a duplicate. I haven't gone back through the 200 pages too check.

[attachment=823:station x_tn.jpg

Yes - Mendota, IL

FWIW - my avatar photo got the same treatment. It's a scan of a print taken on film of a special excursion train using Amtrak equipment descending Old Fort Mountain in Western North Carolina in the mid-1990's.

You can probably get a far crisper picture if you scan the negative. I recently invested in a Nikon negative scanner and started scanning my favorites from among my old negatives and these pictures are invariably much richer and crisper than the mediocre prints I've been hanging onto all these years ever were. My problem was that I always had my prints done at a cheap store rather than professionally, and I guess they weren't even checking if their equipment was properly color-calibrated or focussed, hence the lousy print quality.

Yes - Mendota, IL

You can probably get a far crisper picture if you scan the negative. I recently invested in a Nikon negative scanner and started scanning my favorites from among my old negatives and these pictures are invariably much richer and crisper than the mediocre prints I've been hanging onto all these years ever were. My problem was that I always had my prints done at a cheap store rather than professionally, and I guess they weren't even checking if their equipment was properly color-calibrated or focussed, hence the lousy print quality.
That's a great suggestion. I may give that a try for all the old stuff I have saved in shoe boxes. Going forward though I don't plan to use film anymore...... the digital technology has improved to the point where the casual hobby photos I take of trains I ride (or encounter by chance) come out better..... and without the expense of developing photos that are mediocre or worse.

It's been three days with no new action so I'm going to toss up a fairly easy one........ keeping in the spirit of the holiday season of course.

Who will be the first to name this active Amtrak Station and then post a station photo of their own?

20879_10200567770492976_693435003_n.jpg

amtkstn is correct. Glenwood Springs.

Your turn to post another photo.

Also, my apologies...... got caught up in Christmas preparations today and forgot that I had posted a photo last night!

To keep this alive until NotElvis gets his upload problem solved...

station_01.jpg

(I haven't been following this lately; I hope it's not a duplicate.)

Hint # 1 -- This station has only two trains a day, one in each direction. And, especially this time of year, they both arrive and leave in the dark.

Back