Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not Minot, but again that's the right route. This should help: Pre-Amtrak, the railroad that uses these tracks ran two different trains. One, the one for whom the current Amtrak route is named, didn't stop here, stopping instead at a nearby smaller town. The other train did stop here, and ran until A-day. At the inception of Amtrak, the trains on the current route stopped at both this station and the one in the smaller town. About 2 years later service was discontinued at the smaller town, leaving the larger one to go it alone.

Stan has it. The route of course is the Empire Builder and the GN and BN versions stopped at nearby Troy instead. The EB'S "sister" train, the Western Star, did stop at Libby. Amtrak retained both Troy and Libby until April of 1973, when they dropped Troy as a stop.

That is a unique statue. I like it. Never been to Naperville. Did they make wheels there?
That's what I was thinking for a moment, but I was puzzled because Naperville's never been much of a heavy-industry town. Then I googled to see what the sculpture was (1) supposed to be and (2) made of.

Turns out it's a new memorial to the Naperville rail crash of 1946. And the three standing figures are made of railroad spikes. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-28/news/ct-train-wreck-memorial-naperville-tl-0501-20140429_1_new-naperville-advance-flyer-naperville-station

Back