Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was almost going to post another interior shot, but I think this one will be a little easier:

50eff7ae29a845d8f0cd84166baf73c1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing which finally got me on the right 'track' was noticing that this picture seemed to be taken from either an Amfleet coach or Viewliner sleeper...... THAT ruled out any of the western long hauls. I should have recognized it sooner though...... my wife and I caught the Lake Shore Limited from Elkhart en route to Chicago and Essex, MT on our honeymoon 15 years ago!

OK - here's my next contribution. This is an interior photo which I took yesterday. No other information at this time. Can anyone name this active station?

205253_10200469445634916_1583106801_n.jpg

Looks like the sign in the background says "Cardinal" to me.

The picture in the background (which is freaking beautiful) looks like some quality Appalachian railroading, too.

I'll throw out Prince, WV as a guess.

Good Morning Folks -

Ryan is first with the correct answer - Prince, WV. Ryan is next up.

This tiny station is a remarkable little gem..... the natural light flooding in to the waiting area is so atypical of what one would imagine when thinking of West Virginia. Like much of Appalachia what you have here is a slightly less narrow spot between two mountains leaving room for a few buildings, a road, the railroad, the river, and then another mountain. I really like in my original photo how the street is visible out the right side and the railroad out the left...... as well as the shafts of light. That 'Chessie' is immortalized by an inlay in the floor of the Prince station is just bonus.

From where I live, if someone needs to get to the midwest without spending two nights on the train each way, the options are flying or making the fairly easy 200 drive up to Prince to catch the Cardinal....... something I've done 6 or 8 times over the last 15 years. In Friday's case, I was picking up my sister and her daughter who were returning from a conference in Iowa. Even with a roomette coming back, they saved several hundred dollars over flying on this trip.

In parting - here's one more Prince photo from Friday.........and for the time being I have adopted Prince's 'Chessie' for my avatar photo.

544220_10200469447234956_2106841221_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photo Ryan -

I think I know that one but have a pretty hectic Monday coming up. I'll let someone else go for the gold since I may not have time to keep track of this thread for the next day or two!

And even cooler from the ground. Designed by Mary Jane Colter, this was the last of the Fred Harvey Hotels built by the AT&SF along its mainline from Chicago to LA (via Raton Pass) and served passengers until 1957 when Santa Fe closed the hotel to the public and converted to offices. It has since been restored and operating as a hotel today. A worthy "look-see" if you're in Winslow.

Okay here's another
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10022280/AmtrakStation03_16_13.jpg

Sorry I can't imbed the photo from Dropbox.If anyone else can, please feel free to do so.

Back