NARP's 50th Anniversary

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After careful consideration I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't see adequate ROI commensurate with the expense. So I am bailing. Hotel reservation is being canceled and transport ticket is going into voucher for future use for something more productive.

After careful consideration I have arrived at the conclusion that I don't see adequate ROI commensurate with the expense. So I am bailing. Hotel reservation is being canceled and transport ticket is going into voucher for future use for something more productive.
If you're cancelling, then the ROI must be really bad [emoji1]
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

In addition to a low ROI this event also seems to have some rather questionable optics. What exactly are we celebrating? Decades of reductions in service and aging hardware? Budget battles that are as tedious and contentious as they've ever been? The simple passage of time? Why don't we save the really big celebrations for really big wins rather than focusing on some arbitrary window of time?

Each individual has their own factors to determine their ROI. For me it just isn't there. That does not necessarily mean that is the case for everyone.

Each individual has their own factors to determine their ROI. For me it just isn't there. That does not necessarily mean that is the case for everyone.
Right, it was not meant as a criticism. More pointing out that if one of our more knowledgeable and involved AU members has decided the event is not worth it, then it's a huge red flag that the event is definitely not worth it for the more casual members here.

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's significantly cheaper for a government employee to attend this than it is for a NARP member to attend. If it's supposed to be a NARP celebration/conference, why not make the most attractive offers to NARP members - the people who support the organization month to month (or year to year?) While there's certainly people in government that are trying to advance the same items NARP is trying to advance, it's not as universal as those who are NARP members and have already given money to the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Jeb.

But as a Retired Govt. Employee who attended many events on Uncle Sam's Dime,almost all such Programs,including Travel, offer Special Governnment Rates.

Government per diem isn't much, you certainly don't live the Life of Riley on the Road as a Civil Servant. ( Officials are another Story!)

I'm still a bit confused as to why it's significantly cheaper for a government employee to attend this than it is for a NARP member to attend. If it's supposed to be a NARP celebration/conference, why not make the most attractive offers to NARP members - the people who support the organization month to month (or year to year?) While there's certainly people in government that are trying to advance the same items NARP is trying to advance, it's not as universal as those who are NARP members and have already given money to the organization.
Not only is it more expensive for you, the fact that you're paying your own way is being advertised to the people who actually matter (corporate sponsors)...

Who Will Be Attending Rail Nation?

Officials from state & regional Departments of Transportation

Senior staff from Amtrak, commuter rail operators & transit agencies

Leading transportation researchers & educators

International high speed rail experts

Federal, state & local elected representatives

Highly engaged passengers

International stakeholders and domestic stakeholders from all 50 states

Those actively involved in state and regional advocacy organizations that help shape local

transportation priorities

All ages - from motivated college students to avid travelers representing the senior

population

Knowledgeable public transportation system users who take frequent intercity & regional

rail trips

Attendees with diverse professional backgrounds - many with advanced educational

degrees

Experienced international travelers with higher disposable incomes

Volunteer citizens advocates who will be paying their own way to participate
Why Participate in Rail Nation?

Be an active part of the citizen advocacy movement advancing high speed

rail in the United States.

Directly connect with & inform rail advocates who have a proven record

of positively shaping federal & state transportation policy and funding

priorities.

Showcase your organizations products and services to a highly

knowledgeable group of end-consumers - the rail passengers.

Take advantage of this unique opportunity to directly market rail travel

services, publications and products to frequent rail users.
Paying serious money to put myself in a position where I'm the one being lobbied makes little sense to me.

NARP is throwing a big party for its 50th anniversary, in Chicago early in November (Nov 2 - 5)

See https://www.narprail.org/events/rail-nation-chicago/

I was looking forward to it, until I started calculating the cost that is. Turns out that I can pretty much do a round trip to India in Coach for the cost of the Hotel, Registration, Gala Dinner etc. etc. all put together, even before I add in the cost of transport to get there and back. Which is now giving me a bit of a pause. What are the rest of y'all involved with NARP planning to do?

I might still make it there, staying at a cheaper hotel or some such. We'll See. But wow! It was a bit of a shock!
Well, I'm going, but my stocks have been doing *very well* this year (well enough to pay for an extension on my house), so it's not feeling expensive to me this year.

(Flying to India isn't an option for me since we don't fly, and this is still a lot cheaper than a round trip on the Queen Mary 2. And I have to stay in fancy hotels anyway in order to get cotton sheets, and go to everything-made-from-scratch restaurants to get food without guar gum. So it's ending up comparable to the price of a typical trip to Chicago for me. Unfortunately, that's my life with allergies. In addition, I have plenty of other reasons to visit Chicago.)

Also, if they're going to try to lobby *me*... well, I've got some very definite opinions about the publication of ingredients lists which I would love to share with Amtrak's management before I have to hire a lawyer to sue Amtrak. Which I may do in 2018 (I'm quite busy this year).

From what I know of gala dinners at conventions, they're always really expensive and intended to some extent as a fundraiser. Always. There's a reason they're broken out separately. So honestly, unless you're feeling flush this year, skip that.

Regarding the convention price... maybe someone should ask Jim Matthews why they don't have different prices depending on how early people registered. It's a good question.

Yup my portfolio performance will be able to fund this, a trip to India, a trip to the UK and then some. The issue was finding enough vacation days or taking days off without pay. Turns out that through a turn of fate two days that were unavailable for this has become available, so chances are looking better. But I will hold off on registering till later since there is no point in unnecessarily tying up money for months for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Opps...We got a little ahead of oursleves in our previous message!

Amtrak CEO Richard Anderson's participation in RailNation Chicago is still being finalized.

We are sorry for any confusion!

NARP Staff

I have no idea what they are celebrating, besides perhaps the ditching of Capon- which is worthy of such, I suppose.
Heh. They'd never say that out loud, but uh... the number of people I saw at the Denver NARP meeting and the ESPA meetings congratuating Jim Matthews for replacing Capon was very large. The organization has become quite evidently more effective (specifically at deploying lobbying power toward Congress) since Matthews took over.

We were just asked to narrate the afternoon private car trip on the Hiawatha on Saturday, November 4th... and then the optional trip to South Bend on the South Shore on Sunday, November 5th. Hope some people off the Forum are riding and will come out and say hello to us! This is part of the 501( C)(3) non-profit that we manage, the APRHF Rail Rangers.

An important message is that it's about local support. Unfortunately NARP chose to draw attention to grassroots support with a $375 speaking engagement and gala dinner, a cost most of our membership would struggle to rationalize, and a mindset which might explain why NARP is sometimes accused of being comically tone deaf.

A non-Amtrak person from the press who has inside knowledge shared the insight that once all the Diners are delivered all single level LD trains will have Diners. There may be some difference in the actual food service in the Diners based on trains they are on. This was in an answer to a specific question regarding Diners on the Silver Star.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back